IGNORED

BIT3/FullView card INOPERABLE on A800/Incognito...

Faicuai

5 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

or the franklin 80 col. color card, maybe the best of both combined....

Of course!

The Austin-Franklin even had RGB output, if I recall correctly.

It goes to show the unique strength of the 800's architecture, in which a video-card could be added... on a RAM-slot, and with NO PBI bus available, yet!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Faicuai said:

Of course!

The Austin-Franklin even had RGB output, if I recall correctly.

It goes to show the unique strength of the 800's architecture, in which a video-card could be added... on a RAM-slot, and with NO PBI bus available, yet!

Real damn shame - it should have been the equivalent (in expandability) of the Apple II, but overall obviously a much more powerful machine.

• Like 2

On 4/2/2020 at 3:09 PM, Nezgar said:

After lending a bit3 to Candle, lend it to tf_hh and maybe it can be replicated. :-D

NICE idea!

In fact, if tf_hh wants to examine my Bit3, go for it. Getting rid of the CRT8021 in a newer re-implementation would be the key, as that is pretty much gone.

And going even further, I would not mind if he has newer ideas, for a newer (and more powerful / complete Personality Board for the 800 !)

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Faicuai said:

NICE idea!

In fact, if tf_hh wants to examine my Bit3, go for it. Getting rid of the CRT8021 in a newer re-implementation would be the key, as that is pretty much gone.

And going even further, I would not mind if he has newer ideas, for a newer (and more powerful / complete Personality Board for the 800 !)

This must reside on the CPU board. I am hoping for a double sided surface mount Rapidus+VBXE CPU card. It IS possible.

:)

• Like 1

This is not going to work for hardware and software reasons, regardless of any settings.

There are incorrect assumptions about there being missing signals on Slot 3, or other memory slots need to be populated; this is all wrong.  The only thing that makes Slot 3 is unique from the other two memory slots is D5XX-, D6XX-, and EXSEL- are present.  That's it, no magic there.  EXSEL- disconnects the CPU databus from everything physically behind Slot 1 (personality module, PIA, carts, POKEY).  On Incognito, this signal is also connected to EXTSEL- on the PBI connector.  They are not the same signal or function.  This signal is part of the problem.

The logic needs to be modified to disable the bus in Colleen mode when this signal is asserted.  That will allow the ROM to appear in the 256-byte window in $D600.

Once that is addressed then the next problem is that the Bit3 firmware itself uses some memory in the stack page at $100 that it assumes is free (zero) but has Incognito code written to it when reset is pressed that wreaks havoc on the bank switching.

But then again, what do I know as I was labeled a "third party" who can't possibly know anything about the internals by someone waxing poetic about the 800's super-duper architecture. ?

• Like 11

On 4/11/2020 at 6:35 PM, warerat said:

This is not going to work for hardware and software reasons, regardless of any settings.

There are incorrect assumptions about there being missing signals on Slot 3, or other memory slots need to be populated; this is all wrong.  The only thing that makes Slot 3 is unique from the other two memory slots is D5XX-, D6XX-, and EXSEL- are present.  That's it, no magic there.  EXSEL- disconnects the CPU databus from everything physically behind Slot 1 (personality module, PIA, carts, POKEY).  On Incognito, this signal is also connected to EXTSEL- on the PBI connector.  They are not the same signal or function.  This signal is part of the problem.

The logic needs to be modified to disable the bus in Colleen mode when this signal is asserted.  That will allow the ROM to appear in the 256-byte window in $D600.

Once that is addressed then the next problem is that the Bit3 firmware itself uses some memory in the stack page at $100 that it assumes is free (zero) but has Incognito code written to it when reset is pressed that wreaks havoc on the bank switching.

But then again, what do I know as I was labeled a "third party" who can't possibly know anything about the internals by someone waxing poetic about the 800's super-duper architecture. ?

I admit I suffer from an intractable "I call-it-as-I-see-it" syndrome.. I am probably the worst offender (by miles) and, believe me, this will be no exception.

I will state this very clear, in case you still do not get it:

1. I bought my first set of Incognitos 7-8 years ago. First and second batch. 
  2. I NEVER, EVER bought my fleet of Incognito's from YOU, and much less paid you for them. EVER.
  3. In this specific context, I do not know who the hell are you. Once again, you are a third party from which I never had any commercial (or any other kind) relationship, whatsoever.
  4. I have not heard A WORD from the individual I bought (and PAID) these cards from.
  5. I am having a hard time believing that EIGHT years have passed and this is the first time this problem is "addressed'. I will look into this.
  6. I could care less for whatever undisclosed work on your end shows up on a shitty video. I only care for the significant (and unexpected) incompatibility problems that the products I paid for seem to introduce in the systems I operate on my end. Others are free to care less.
  7. I will call out anything that I consider valid or important, at any time, anywhere, to anyone, and disregarding "broken hearts". Sorry.
  8. This thread is for the benefit of our audience, and for improving the products that we own. It is not intended for self-glorification video-clips.

Having said this, I do applaud you for having the BALLS (finally!) to step up to the plate and address the problem in clear, frontal manner. And, in the same token, I would also expect you to honestly disclose the efforts behind the recent troubleshooting cycle, none of which are the product of your sole-and-lone work, of course. 

Are you kidding me?

1 hour ago, Faicuai said:
  • I bought my first set of Incognitos 7-8 years ago. First and second batch. 
  • I NEVER, EVER bought my fleet of Incognito's from YOU, and much less paid you for them. EVER.

Warerat may not have been part of the Incognito project, but I think that its development was inspired by his project converting an 800 to 576K XE compatibility. This was back in 2006!

The Incognito took it further integrating a CF card interface(which he had proposed for memory slot 3), plus PBI/SpartaDOS-X/RTC/other features into a single card.

• Like 6

Thanks for the helpful suggestions, but I'll pass on releasing anything because per your criteria you didn't pay me and I'm not the creator.

But don't despair.  My efforts have already been disclosed to the relevant party, free of charge.  However, I'm happy to take your money too so I can use it to spruce up my shitty video and release it to you in Beta format.  This way you can view it in its ORIGINAL non-self-glorified professionally color calibrated splendor, in Dolby.  Watch it a couple of times to understand how maybe turning your Ferenc-speak towards people that can help you down one notch can bear fruit.  Because your formula obviously isn't working here.

But in all seriousness, I think a good starting point for you to help fix your problem can be found here: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/narcissistic-personality-disorder/symptoms-causes/syc-20366662

• Like 8

8 hours ago, Faicuai said:

I admit I suffer from an intractable "I call-it-as-I-see-it" syndrome.. I am probably the worst offender (by miles) and, believe me, this will be no exception.

You don't suffer from a "call it as you see it" syndrome.  You have a piss poor attitude and act like you are above everyone.  Common terms describing people with this syndrome are "prick", "asshole", etc.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I don't think he means to blast anybody, but frustration and contentiousness is dripping from all sides. I think he wants it to work, and by proxy similar device old or new could benefit from the fixes...

Is cabin fever or exhaustion... I don't know... zombie doc... can't tell....

Edited by _The Doctor__

must be that quarantine ;)

not knowing who warerat is - yet having incognito board...

funny thing, really, all one need to do is to take a look on the bottom side of the board to see warerat name there

incognito would not exist if his original work was not abadoned at some point in the past - abadoned in that sense, it didn't end up being a product

as for bit3 card - i'm not going to attempt any work on this matter without card at my disposal

Sergio already proposed one, and did all the work required, but still, i cannot use it (or rather will not use it), as personal proud wouldn't let me ;)

#stayathomeandturnoffyourinternet

#dontbeaprick

• Like 4

11 hours ago, warerat said:

But in all seriousness, I think a good starting point for you to help fix your problem can be found here: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/narcissistic-personality-disorder/symptoms-causes/syc-20366662

For someone who attempts to making an (unsolicited) point by resorting to a self-glorifying video-clips, you fit the profile better than anyone else.

Don't worry about seriousness. There is nothing of it in anything you wrote. 

4 minutes ago, Faicuai said:

For someone who attempts to making an (unsolicited) point by resorting to a self-glorifying video-clips, you fit the profile better than anyone else.

Don't worry about seriousness. There is nothing of it in anything you wrote. 

Why are you here again?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Stephen said:

You don't suffer from a "call it as you see it" syndrome.  You have a piss poor attitude and act like you are above everyone.  Common terms describing people with this syndrome are "prick", "asshole", etc.

...Considering your public confession, here on this forum, for being the #1 at your "common terms", I would certainly respect your opinion. 

Don't worry, your kingdom will remain uncontested, I assure you.

Edited by Faicuai