IGNORED

Help with TI Game Shelf

jwild

Hi guys,

I know this is a basic question and I should know this already.   But I need help.

I'm trying to pick a new game of the month.   I'm trying to broaden my horizons and explore other games.

I find that I'm not as good as I thought I was at playing games that need the Editor/Assembler cartridge.

One I am considering is called "Virus Attack" (timely title).  Go Here: http://tigameshelf.net/asm.htm

search that page for the game and download the TIFILES format "vir-arc.bin"

How do I run this file?    I tried using Classic 99 with EA cartridge.  I copied over the "vir-arc.bin" to my DSK2 directory for classic 99.  then in EA, I use option 5 and give it the name "DSK2.VIRUS1" and i get I/O Error Code 7.

If i try DSK2.VIR-ARC I get the same I/O Error Code 7.

If I rename the vir-arc.bin file in Windows to vir-arc (removing the .bin) I get the same I/O Error code 7 when I try to run "DSK2.VIRUS1" error code 2 when I try to run "DSK2.VIR-ARC".

Any help would be much appreciated.

On the main page of the TI Gameshelf is the following. I hope it clarifies things :) This whole .bin scheme was done because back in 2007 it was the only way I could reliably get a browser to download TI binary files as binaries and not try to display them... Things might have changed a bit since... :lol:

1- TIFILES format which is native to the TI 99/4A computer, which means that they will run directly on a real TI 99/4A machine as well as on the Classic 99 emulator. These files are appended with the .bin extension, and you will need to remove that extension prior to using the files. In addition, some of these files are archived, and those will have a filename ending with arc. You will need to use Barry Boone's Archiver to expand them.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, I purchased the rights to all of Marc's software, so it is not public domain. Marc placed the files here on AtariAge, but he did not relinquish his ownership rights when he did so. I actually plan to make another run of these cartridges in the near future, so it is also commercially active. Using the file in a FinalROM/FinalGROM cartridge and in emulators is permissible use--making cartridges for sale is not.

• Like 5

On 4/3/2020 at 4:47 PM, Vorticon said:

This whole .bin scheme was done because back in 2007 it was the only way I could reliably get a browser to download TI binary files as binaries and not try to display them... Things might have changed a bit since...

This will depend upon MIME type settings in the web server itself.  When a browser downloads a file, there is a header in the response sent by the web server which tells the browser what to expect.  Generally speaking, a MIME type of "application/octet-stream" will convince the browser to actually download the file.  Thus, you can set the extension of .dsk to this type and all would be well.  Right-click and Save-As works, too.  The automated alternative would be put the .dsk into a Zip file, which is universally recognized.