IGNORED

Which System In Your Collection Are You Most likely To Sell/Trade?

It pains me to say it. But I think either my Vectrex or my GameCube would be the first to go. I don't really play them (although I want to change that) and frankly, I feel like the Vectrex is overrated. Okay. Maybe overrated is the wrong word, but I do feel it's not really a good console.

If you were downsizing, in massive debt, or just want something new, what system would you send to the gallows?

• Like 1

Hmmm, I don't have plans to sell any but if I had to it would probably be either my Channel F or TI-99. They're both fine systems but I don't have any memories of them as a kid since neither my friends nor I owned either system.

• Like 2

Probably my Gameboys if I’m being honest. I just don’t use them that often and I feel like I only own them because I “have to”. I have lots of obscure and unique consoles that pretty much only serve as display pieces, but I love obscure consoles so I wouldn’t get rid of any of those. So GameBoy I suppose.

• Like 1

Game Gear

I never had one of these back in the day, and when I finally got one last year I was immediately disappointed even though the unit I got was overhauled by a pro with new caps and an LED light upgrade.  I find it to be completely unplayable, as many of the games are fast-moving side-scrollers that were seemingly not designed with the limitations of the system in mind.  It's not just the ghosting that is the problem, but the quality of the image itself, which is akin to composite video—it's quite a step down from the Lynx or even the original Game Boy screen to be quite honest.  It doesn't help that I'm not really interested in side-scrollers in general...

Game Boy Advance

I have a nice unit in excellent shape modded with a backlit screen, but I just don't care for the library of games.  A MASSIVE proportion of the library is garbage licensed games; even excluding those, a lot of the good games are watered down SNES ports.  I'm not a huge fan of the core Nintendo franchises (Mario/Zelda/Metroid) beyond the NES entries, so there's not much here for me to enjoy.

Atari Jaguar

I just don't play it.  I've got a library of 6 games and there are some games I'd really like to get, but not at the prices they are going for now.  I sort of bought this expecting an Everdrive-like solution to become available, and while it did momentarily, I honestly have lost interest in the system since then.

Edited by newtmonkey
  • Like 2

Well I already decided to sell one and it's boxed up so that doesn't count. ;) (New3DS XL)

Of what I have now, I'd probably get rid of the remaining Sony stuff I have for PS1 entirely or PS3(keep system though for movies.)  Perhaps the Wii despite liking it because if Mario Galaxy1+2 do hit Switch it'll be a blow to my caring about it still.

But really if I had to and I kind of want to since the game is aggravating and sits far more than used is my pinball machine.  I have a standing offer on it from when I went to the local annual arcade show too but then the virus struck or it probably would have gone already.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Magmavision2000 said:

I feel like the Vectrex is overrated

If you decide to ever get rid of it, I know someone who wants one: me.

Anyway, Super Famicom. I just don't care about SFC/SNES much at all, it seems, even though I've tried to get into it. I did actually try to sell it already to one of my friends, but he doesn't want it. Now it serves as a storage device for dust and also for stacking Mega Drive and Genesis games on top of it.

• Like 1

I answer your question on a regular basis this way:

"What's the biggest, heaviest thing I have I don't want that's worth enough to be worth it?"

Most recently, Saturn and Odyssey 2 stuff.

I too, am considering releasing my once-new vectrex, as it's image has been deteriorating and serious work is needed. Despite my great admiration for the technology, I rarely play it anymore anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Magmavision2000 said:

It pains me to say it. But I think either my Vectrex or my GameCube would be the first to go. I don't really play them (although I want to change that) and frankly, I feel like the Vectrex is overrated. Okay. Maybe overrated is the wrong word, but I do feel it's not really a good console.

I'd take your Vectrex for $50 if you aren't using it!

I'm probably selling my Super Famicom and Sears 2600 since I have a Super Nintendo and the SFC is a lot cheaper in Japan and Korea, and I also have a heavy sixer and a CV EM1, so I have no use for my Sears 2600. I *might* also sell my broken TRS-80 Model 100 if I keep failing on fixing it, and buy a 102 or 100 for cheap.

• Like 1

I feel I have already thinned out the less desired items but I still got a good variety.

• If it was in order to quickly bring in good money, it probably be some of my rare computer models like the VTech Laser 2001 or perhaps Comx-35.
  • If it was to free up space, I'm afraid my PET 3032 would go.
  • If it was getting rid of broken systems I never get around to fix, both my ZX Spectrum and Oric-1 would be in the danger zone.
  • If I strictly go by when I last used them, my Sega SC-3000 would be listed, followed by my Amiga 1200 and my Basis 108 (Apple II+ clone).
  • If I intend to get rid of duplicates, I've got a boxed C64 and a boxed C64C that I could trade away since I already got a loose C64C (and yes, surprisingly the "most sold" computer model C64 is starting to attract good prices). Likewise I've got a boxed VIC-20 and two loose ones (NTSC + PAL).
  • There is also my BBC Master 128 that is not that much more advanced than my BBC B Micro. I once had four Beebs but traded away two of them.
  • And yes, I've got both a boxed Epoch Super Cassette Vision and a loose Yeno SCV. Given the current eBay prices, I really should try to sell one of them.
  • If I try to determine which systems I have the least relation to, say good bye to the SNES, Famicom and Genesis but those are systems it doesn't hurt to own and not really worth a fortune anyway. Truth to be told, there are more systems that I don't have a strong relation to but I prefer to cater to the pre-crash oddballs so unless someone would offer me a lot of money, I'd keep onto my Channel F, Conic M1200 and Videopac G7000.

And yeah, that completely excludes various boring IBM PC clones ranging from 8088 based desktops and laptops to Pentium III and other non-retro stuff. I've got a few of those that I really could put up for trade and a few might even bring in some money but I tend to ignore those are part of my collection, they just exist in my household.

• Like 2

I've been giving serious thought to selling off my Neo Geo AES setup for the past few months, it's currently in storage at my parents' place and I literally haven't touched it in nearly three years. Plus the Neo Geo scene only continues to get more expensive and even the few flash carts out there aren't exactly in my financial grasp. Also I don't have room for those massive carts LOL. I figure I might put the money towards a decent MISTer setup so I wouldn't be missing out and have the ability to run other systems that I'm not quite interested in enough to acquire (ie. Amstrad CPC, Electron, CoCo).

Also semi-considering getting rid of my Amiga 600 as I've given up trying to run WHDLoad on the damn thing and I can't seem to find a decently priced accelerator card for it.

• Like 1

By the way, it struck me that with the current events: people getting cut backs or losing their jobs, lots of companies going down, emergency funding and uncertain future, we might be in for a major drop in prices on retro games which could last for at least a year or longer. It makes me wonder if I really should list some items for sale now before everyone else has come to a halt and just have enough money to pay the regular bills.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, carlsson said:

By the way, it struck me that with the current events: people getting cut backs or losing their jobs, lots of companies going down, emergency funding and uncertain future, we might be in for a major drop in prices on retro games which could last for at least a year or longer. It makes me wonder if I really should list some items for sale now before everyone else has come to a halt and just have enough money to pay the regular bills.

Interesting, I've seen prices going up. I considered this possibly the time to grab a jaguar, but I noticed one seller who wasn't able to sell at £215 with make an offer increase the price to £299. They must think they are going to be in luck! 

It's a shame because I was considering making an offer now I'm presume it's impossible to get one less than 200 these days. 

• Like 1

On 4/2/2020 at 9:52 PM, Magmavision2000 said:

I enjoyed the Vectrex while I had it BITD. I just wish it were of better quality. Actually I wish most consoles were of better quality. Minus the VCS of course, took me a long while to break mine.

On 4/2/2020 at 9:52 PM, Magmavision2000 said:

If you were downsizing, in massive debt, or just want something new, what system would you send to the gallows?

I suppose the remaining TRS-80 Model II and Apple ///+ (qty 2).

The Model II is really the wife's gig. It's a loud whiny industrial-sounding computer. I keep asking her to let me gut the fucker and put in a proper x86 board or R-Pi. But it has sentimental value because of the early accounting and COBOL stuff. And that external floppy cage is some bastardized monstrosity 2x the size of a microwave. I had come close to getting rid of it early. But, alas, my decision was reversed.

And while the Apple /// is different and symbolic in its own way. It means little or nothing to me. I was heavily into the Apple II as a kid, and always read about the /// in the Apple-In-Depth catalogs among other brochures. You could say I enjoyed the system virtually or vicariously. I have more sentiment toward the printed material than I do the actual hardware sitting here staring me in the face. If it were to magically disappear via 1-800-GOT-JUNK I wouldn't shed a tear.

Going further, the same might apply to the //c for similar reasons. And the IIgs, too, because it's not really an Apple II at heart.

On 4/2/2020 at 11:16 PM, EdgeOfPortal said:

Probably my Gameboys if I’m being honest. I just don’t use them that often and I feel like I only own them because I “have to”. I have lots of obscure and unique consoles that pretty much only serve as display pieces, but I love obscure consoles so I wouldn’t get rid of any of those. So GameBoy I suppose.

I got that way with a lot of Apple II stuff and what did I end up with? An ever-growing pile of crap'n'garbage. Stuff so rare and obscure the proverbial radar doesn't even pick it up.

On 4/2/2020 at 10:08 PM, fiddlepaddle said:

"What's the biggest, heaviest thing I have I don't want that's worth enough to be worth it?"

Yeah, basically my feeling as well. The reason I keep my original PlayStation around is because it's pretty small and not really worth much. It's easier just to keep it, even though there's really no reason to have one if you own a PS2 or PS3.

I'd probably give up one or two of my computers before any of my consoles. I have an original IBM PC that's *really* big and *really* heavy and while it's fun to mess around with, it's obviously a lot less useful than later machines. I also have an IBM P70 that has a great gas plasma screen and a really interesting form factor, but again I just don't have much actual use for it. It's a 386 with microchannel architecture, so I can't even really use it to test weird hardware or upgrades, and most of my favorite DOS games still won't run acceptably on it.

Of my consoles, hate to say it but I might give up my Bandai Intellivision first. I have three working Intellivision systems (the others are a regular I and II) and it's the one I have no direct emotional connection to, so I wouldn't have much of a problem selling it for the right price.

And maybe my Sega SG-1000? That might be a little tougher, but I do have a Mark III as well so I don't really need it.

Just now, spacecadet said:

PS2 or PS3

There are a few PS1 games that don't run properly on certain PS2 models. I'm not sure if that's true with the PS3, but another thing to consider is that the PS3 emulates PS1 games instead of running them natively and has some input lag, so people who are obsessed with not having any lag at all and only play on a CRT might find that to be a disadvantage. I don't care and use my PS3, but I imagine there are people who are like that, so...

i dont have a lot of stuff anymore- just an AV-modded 2600 4-switcher and my TI 99 4/A setup (with the PEB).  If I got to that point, I think I'd end up selling the TI kit, if only for the fact that the stuff weighs a TON and takes up a lot of space.  this says a lot, because the TI has a great deal of nostalgic value to me.