IGNORED

Which System In Your Collection Are You Most likely To Sell/Trade?

I mean....if I could get a fair trade to somebody in person, I'd part with my Colecovision and Intellivision set ups quick like. They're actually set up to play.

I have a Saturn and a GC in my closet that haven't been set up in years. Could part with those even more easily.

I almost NEVER play my Vectrex but it took me forever to find at a good price, and it is unique. I'd actually have a heck of a time parting with that, even though it's so rarely used.

On 4/7/2020 at 10:37 AM, BawesomeBurf said:

Probably Playstation 2. I love the software library for it, but am sick of dealing with the crappy hardware. I'm on my 4th console, and once this one dies, that's it.

I always thought the PS2 was pretty sturdy. I dug out the PS2 my parents bought when they got married(yeah, I/they aren't not that old) in about 2015. Apparently they barely played it and tucked it away in a box. The only thing wrong was the video cable, and I've recently kept it on for days running endurance races on GT4. It works perfectly after 15 years of storage and 5 years of playing.

Well, if it was barely used and only 5 years old, of course it's going to work great. The lasers like to go in them after being used for a while. Some won't read blue discs, and others will struggle with any disc.

Another common issue is that the slim won't recognize the lid is closed. That one is especially frustrating, since it will randomly give you an error message during gameplay. A quick fix is to throw something heavy on the lid. If that doesn't work, you have to open up the system and apply a small piece of duct tape to the sensor.

My NeoGeo CDZ was up on eBay prior to the outbreak. Pulled it for now, but when things settle back down it'll be back up. Since I got the MiSTer I just don't use it. Now I could say the same about my PC-Engine Duo, but I'm REALLY attached to that and won't part with it. For some reason the CDZ just isn't dear enough to me to keep. Odd, but that's the way it is.

I tend to sell anything that's surplus, so when my PS2 slim could play PS1 games and I chipped it to play imports, I sold my PS1 and PS2 Test systems even though it meant losing the HDD on the Test box. I've been through more STs than I can count... Still have one but it's still not the one I want so at some point if I do snag a Mega ST, that'll go also. Other than that, I think everything else will be staying.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, juansolo said:

My NeoGeo CDZ was up on eBay prior to the outbreak. Pulled it for now, but when things settle back down it'll be back up. Since I got the MiSTer I just don't use it. Now I could say the same about my PC-Engine Duo, but I'm REALLY attached to that and won't part with it. For some reason the CDZ just isn't dear enough to me to keep. Odd, but that's the way it is.

I tend to sell anything that's surplus, so when my PS2 slim could play PS1 games and I chipped it to play imports, I sold my PS1 and PS2 Test systems even though it meant losing the HDD on the Test box. I've been through more STs than I can count... Still have one but it's still not the one I want so at some point if I do snag a Mega ST, that'll go also. Other than that, I think everything else will be staying.

That's what I've been doing and had happen.  I've got a really nice boxed up New 3DS XL set with 2 games and 2 chargers(oem) in a box next to my desk here, and the other games in my closet. :(  Honestly I keep procrastinating as the post off is like a 1/2 mi from here, so it wouldn't be hard for me to bother moving goods again.  I've kind of liked taking a break from it as I do not really enjoy selling but it's how I can afford things I like off budget.

I've been tempted at times to offload a few other things, system wise like my remaining ps1 and ps3(keep system for blu rays) stuff but I always back off it.

No specific consoles in particular, but I guess my answer is whatever games I have physical copies of which that I can still play on a flash cart. I now have a flash cart for nearly every console I own and I admit, they've spoiled me a bit. So if I can play it that way, I'm more likely to sell my original copies. I'm more into collecting homebrews anyway, and even then, if I can get a rom for it or dump my actual copy, I'll still play via flash cart if possible. :)

I really thought I wanted a Colecovision, but have barely played it. 

I really thought I wanted an Intellivision, but have barely played it.

I really thought I wanted an Odyssey 2, but have barely played it.

I really thought I wanted a 7800, but have barely played it.

I really thought I wanted a 5200, but have barely played it after I pieced it together from a pile of scraps.

I really thought I wanted an NES, but have barely played it.

I really thought I wanted an SNES, but have barely played it.

I really thought I wanted a Genesis, but have barely played it.

I really thought I wanted a Wii, but have barely played it.

But, what a pain it is to sell stuff. And I really am not looking for anything else that I could trade for.

• Like 1

On 4/15/2020 at 5:03 AM, Keatah said:

It's always oh so hard to get back what you paid when selling something.

Shipping costs for sure are lost, but the actual value of the system probably could be recouped. I might be in minority, but I started my basement + cupboard cleaning this week and posted stuff for sale on Facebook. I haven't yet really digged into my collection but might soon thin it out a little as I'm convinced we're heading towards a much harsher economy that will last for at least 6-12 months and once people get less disposable income either the market for vintage games will temporarily dry up or prices drop by at least 20-30%. In a such situation, I'd rather already have sold what I can spare once the prices were on top and when/if the economy recovers later on, I might buy back things at lower prices. Or perhaps that is my perverted fantasy, though I have speculated for a couple years now that the vintage games price bubble will burst sooner or later and now seems like a perfect time for that to happen.

Yup. Asking prices and actual selling prices of course are two different things, but eventually there are people paying those $80 for a 5.25" floppy drive and thus a new level is established until the same people no longer can afford food and toilet paper so they need to sell their hard earned posessions.

For comparison, housing prices over here dropped by 1-4% only considering the period middle of March to first week of April.

Edited by carlsson

We've entered the era though of assumed value, as opposed to pricing based on supply demand or even quality.

Housing these days is just assumed to stay high, because nobody wants to sell less than what they paid for it, but it doesn't factor in: a) they might have paid far too much for it in the first place and b) it might have depreciated in value with time regardless of whether they sat on it or did it up. Same for goods.

True price is only ever achieved when sellers let go of the notion of what they think their good deserves to be and accepts its true price - or accepts that they cannot hold off not selling due to their own circumstances.

In terms of my own collection, I can't see myself selling any of my collection* but I also can't see myself building it back up again if I sold/lost what I have now.

* Ahahahhaha famous last words! Quote me in a decade or two.

• Like 1

I was there over a decade ago and still am.  I could not make myself or find the want to recover all my losses.  I decided to be more pragmatic and choosy about things and went for what I'd actually care to have lurking around again, primarily split into recovery of original pre 2001 stuff, but also those worth still having around that I'd actually care to use/potentially use.  I still feel that way, it's just far easier doing the less is more bit.

On 4/17/2020 at 6:10 AM, Keatah said:

Some of the asking prices are ridiculous. $100 USD for a VL-BUS videocard?

..found even MORE ridiculousness. An old mediocre-performing "VinTaGE iSA vIdEo CArd" for $399.95. Nothing of historical importance either. Priced high because "old". It's sometimes quietly amusing to watch the stuff sit for years and years without selling.

3 hours ago, Mikebloke said:

We've entered the era though of assumed value, as opposed to pricing based on supply demand or even quality.

They can assume and price stuff high all they want. Vintage videocards IMHO are worth about $20-30 tops! Remember, this is salvaged not-yet-discarded e-waste. E-waste we were throwing out by truckload in the 90's.

Sure there are a few "rare collector's items" that could command a $50 or higher price. But then "collectors" !!

3 hours ago, Mikebloke said:

In terms of my own collection, I can't see myself selling any of my collection* but I also can't see myself building it back up again if I sold/lost what I have now.

I'm still trashing stuff . For this load its mostly packaging and instructions that are so simple I'll never read or need them. Some of this old Apple II material came in HUGE boxes 9cu ft. That has gotta go. But I am stocking up on some small vintage PC parts. Hence the cheap graphics card kick at the moment.