IGNORED

AtariVox device communication via emulator?

Karl G

13 minutes ago, RevEng said:

Not presently.

I have a few more to-do's than hobby time lately, but after I work through them I'll look at the possibility of adding exernal atarivox support to a7800.

It's relatively easy to add support.  These are the applicable files from Stella:

For just the sound output, you only need the first two.

• Like 1

Thanks! Totally aware of those, as I did a lot of compare and contrast with the stella code when getting speakalator to work under MacOS, so double-thanks are in order. :)

The update is still a bit of chore, even with the example code. a7800 is a fork of the MAME a7800 driver, and half of the work in these sorts of additions is figuring out how the interfaces in question are supposed to be coded within the MAME framework. The api documentation often doesn't exist, and instead you wind up having to learn from similar implementations in other drivers, if you're lucky enough that similar implementations exist.

26 minutes ago, RevEng said:

Thanks! Totally aware of those, as I did a lot of compare and contrast with the stella code when getting speakalator to work under MacOS, so double-thanks are in order. :)

The update is still a bit of chore, even with the example code. a7800 is a fork of the MAME a7800 driver, and half of the work in these sorts of additions is figuring out how the interfaces in question are supposed to be coded within the MAME framework. The api documentation often doesn't exist, and instead you wind up having to learn from similar implementations in other drivers, if you're lucky enough that similar implementations exist.

I understand.  There's probably only 200 lines of relevant code from Stella that you'd need (ignoring the SaveKey stuff).  I just meant the code itself is fairly easy and straightforward.  Integrating it into another project (particularly one like MAME that is so large) is another story.  Good luck :) 

While I'm on the topic of AtariVox speech, is it valid syntax to spread the speechdata over multiple lines?  E.g.:

speechdata hey_cabbie_2
    raw 31
    raw 21,120,22,150,183,130,22,180,8,154,22,150,2,194,22,180,132,132,132,22,150,172,170,128
    raw $FF
end

Yes, that's okay to do. When it's compiled it's basically a straight conversion to '.byte' statements for the assembler and then when that does its thing it doesn't care how the data is formatted so use as many lines as you want to keep things organised.

On a related note.... oh boy how did I not know the 2600-daptor was a thing? Here's me spending time making my own tools to do the same thing with more effort like a chump.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SmittyB said:

Yes, that's okay to do. When it's compiled it's basically a straight conversion to '.byte' statements for the assembler and then when that does its thing it doesn't care how the data is formatted so use as many lines as you want to keep things organised.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, SmittyB said:

On a related note.... oh boy how did I not know the 2600-daptor was a thing? Here's me spending time making my own tools to do the same thing with more effort like a chump.

But you probably saved money, and the pride of accomplishment when you got it to work.  ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Karl G said:

But you probably saved money, and the pride of accomplishment when you got it to work.

True, but my solution was to write Voxolotl! so I have to faff around with controller commands to build something that sounds good, and then write down or photograph the output to copy manually into my game. I'd much rather have some way to do it all from my PC.

• 3 months later...

@Karl G Trying to copy your atarivox setup.

To connect to Stella, in addition to the AtariVox, I just would need the 2600daptorII but flashed to AtariVox support firmware? 

Is that just a case of running a flashing program or does it require anything funky like an ST2 cable like early firmware UNOcart?

Do I need to grab anything else?

Thanks!

I got one recently and did the same. It's dead easy, the hardest part was finding a paperclip in my drawers with which to bridge the necessary pins. The one difference from the guide is that there wasn't a connector on the board so it was just a matter of pushing the paperclip in the right through-holes.

• Like 2