IGNORED

Atari 5200 Black Belt dated 7-5-83 RELEASED!

Dutchman2000

This rom seems to either be the same as the 12-23-82 rom or is very similar.  Both seem to behave the exact same way in emulators and on a real 5200.  The odd thing is that I reviewed the 12-23 rom years ago and was able to move.  I think there may be a bug in the code that a real 5200 and the more accurate emulators don't like.  This rom can't be from 7/3/83 regardless of what the file says.

http://www.atariprotos.com/5200/software/blackbelt/earlyproto.htm

After pressing the 0 to start in the temple...then press the Start button and you will proceed to be hopping around slowly on the screen with the black knight on the right following suit. But that is all I was able to do so far.

3 hours ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

After pressing the 0 to start in the temple...then press the Start button and you will proceed to be hopping around slowly on the screen with the black knight on the right following suit. But that is all I was able to do so far.

Duh!  I need to read my own pages more:

To start the game you must press the '0' button then Start

Hmm... That sounds suspiciously like this proto:

http://www.atariprotos.com/5200/software/blackbelt/earlyproto.htm

I'll have to play around with that early proto again, but in this one I can't seem to go through doors. It's like I need to get out the fighting stance first, but can't.  The fighting moves are all there though, so maybe this one is in between the two known protos?

Sort of...

But the enemy was moving at the same time I was pretty much. But I wasn't able to change screens at all. Moving up towards one of the doors did nothing and none of the buttons seems to do anything either. You just look like you are hopping around when you move the controller. Or at least that is how it is working in Altirra.

Okay just messed around with it a bit more and this is what I've found:

- Once you press 0 to change to the temple screen. Pressing Start will then start the game.

- You can then use the number pad buttons to execute different moves. Pressing the 2nd fire button will change the direction your character is facing.

- Enemy will automatically move in the same fighting bouncing stance to the bottom of the screen and do nothing else. No AI of any kind.

- No collision detection since you can use moves on the enemy but nothing seems to actually register.

- Was not able to change to different rooms at all.

Move List via Numpad:

1 = High Punch

2 = High Block (I think)

3 = High Kick

4 = Middle Punch Strong?

5 = Middle Block

6 = Middle Kick

7 = Middle punch Light?

8 = Low Punch

9 = Reverse Kick

2 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Sort of...

But the enemy was moving at the same time I was pretty much. But I wasn't able to change screens at all. Moving up towards one of the doors did nothing and none of the buttons seems to do anything either. You just look like you are hopping around when you move the controller. Or at least that is how it is working in Alterra

In the 12-23 proto you move around normally as you're not always in the fighting stance so you can change rooms.  In this one you're always in the stance so you hop.  I saw the enemy when I played this one in the emulator (Atari800) but he just stood there motionless like in the 12-23 proto, you say he was moving in this one?  Were you able to attack him using the number buttons?

To me, it seems like this proto is EARLIER than the 12-23 proto.  But if the enemy moves that would place it in between the two.  I really need someone to look at the code...

3 minutes ago, Tempest said:

In the 12-23 proto you move around normally as you're not always in the fighting stance so you can change rooms.  In this one you're always in the stance so you hop.  I saw the enemy when I played this one in the emulator (Atari800) but he just stood there motionless like in the 12-23 proto, you say he was moving in this one?  Were you able to attack him using the number buttons?

To me, it seems like this proto is EARLIER than the 12-23 proto.  But if the enemy moves that would place it in between the two.  I really need someone to look at the code...

See my edited original reply above...

In Altirra in both the older and 7-5 prototypes the enemy moves, but this does NOT happen on a real 5200, he just sits there in a the doorway like a lump. 

The only difference I can find between the two protos is that in the 7-5 proto you're always in attack stance where as in the 12-23 proto you can walk normally.  Also in the 12-23 proto you can exit the room even in the attack stance so it appears that there either aren't other rooms in the 7-5 proto or you just can't enter them.  Either way I think the 8-5 proto is earlier than the 12-23 proto by a few days or a week.  No idea why it's labeled 7-5-83 other than that's when the person dumped it, but then why did they ignore the newer 1-5 proto which is more complete.  Quite a mystery, but now I'm fairly sure that Black Belt go no further than the 1-5 proto.

• 2 weeks later...