IGNORED

Evolution of your fav emulator?

Keatah

Not sure how else to word the title, but it should be like - Which emulator(s) have you enjoyed following throughout the years - decades? Like which ones have evolved in a way that excited you with each new release. Like which ones continue to add new features that make you go YYYEESSSSSS!!

I have a rather limited list.

MAME

Altirra

Stella

AppleWin

..in no particular order.

I wanted to include DOSbox, but it only sees a release every couple of years. PCem and WinUAE, Higan/BSNES, and VICE are close, too, but don't make the grade for various other reasons.

I can't really say there's much excitement with new versions.  There was back in the 1990s when I was emulating different machines for the first time.  I can say I didn't use mess much at all before it was merged in to mame.  Now I use mame for all sorts of things e.g. intellivision, colecovision, adam, coco3, astrocade, atari 7800.  Every once in a while something new comes up for me and more often than not mame does it.  Other than that I just hope new versions don't have bugs and they don't require more cpu power due to my poor old PC.

I can't say I have any favorites, though some stand out as better than others.  

I find a new emu hits and I get interested in it, especially if it supports one of the more obscure consoles.

I play with it for a few weeks, get bored, and move on to something else.

If I had to point out one emulator, it would probably be HANDY for the Lynx.  That emulator got me interested in collecting for the physical handheld and games, and although it doesn't seem to be supported anymore, it's the basis for other Lynx emulators.

Edited by ls650