IGNORED

DragonKeep - New game release from Reboot!

CyranoJ

When it's given away for free, seeing a certain wuckfit sell your stuff for approx 20ukp profit per copy somewhat colours the view. 

When that person did nothing to help with development and goes out of their way to dismiss everything you've done you'll see the problem. 

Take, for example, all the St converted roms. They were put on here for free download and then people, iceman rings a bell, instantly started putting them on cart and selling for outrageous amounts on ebay. AA and CJ then started being expected to offer support. 

The remora of the community unfortunately spoiled it for CD owners. 

• Like 4

^^^ What he said. Free games are just that - free - and are not to be sold without the permission of the author. Unfortunately, there's no perfect solution to getting around the fact that people will still sell repros of it regardless, so the solution of making it work only from a Skunkboard or GD is the best compromise the author can come up with right now. Yes, it sucks for those who us who currently have neither, but that's how it is. 

• Like 2

Ruining  a company has nothing to do with it.  This game is released for free to play.

It is not released so someone else can make copies and cash off it. 

You can still buy skunkboards, and for not much more than the cost of one of the inevitable pirate copies, or wait for the JaguarGD.  At which point you can then still play this, because it's not going anywhere. 

I do plan on putting this on a multicart at some point. This might not happen for up to a few years as right now I have nothing to go with it. If, at that point, several people have bootlegs they paid  for I suspect they would have less interest in purchasing said multicart compared to if they just had a binary on a flash device. 

In short:

I tried it your way and got burnt multiple times. Now I do this my way. If people don't like it they know the few individuals to take it up with who ruined it for everyone.

I released this game to give people something fun to do while we're all living in difficult and stressful times, and I really don't want to get into a debate about this. 

No offence taken,  I can see you don't have many posts so probably also don't have the history on this subject.

All the best.  Keep washing your hands!

• Like 8

On 4/5/2020 at 1:57 PM, CyranoJ said:

In short:

I tried it your way and got burnt multiple times. Now I do this my way.

It is sad that these criminals gets to ruin it for everyone else.

It is illegal to take something that isn't yours and sell it.

This goes for anything. Also a retrogame. Whatever you create - you are the copyright owner of.

All bigger sites like eBay takes such things very serious. If you file a copyright claim, the product will be taken down immediately.

Then it's just a matter of having the community work together and report such listings to the copyright holder when they appear.

On 4/5/2020 at 12:57 PM, CyranoJ said:

Ruining  a company has nothing to do with it.  This game is released for free to play.

It is not released so someone else can make copies and cash off it. 

You can still buy skunkboards, and for not much more than the cost of one of the inevitable pirate copies, or wait for the JaguarGD.  At which point you can then still play this, because it's not going anywhere. 

I do plan on putting this on a multicart at some point. This might not happen for up to a few years as right now I have nothing to go with it. If, at that point, several people have bootlegs they paid  for I suspect they would have less interest in purchasing said multicart compared to if they just had a binary on a flash device. 

In short:

I tried it your way and got burnt multiple times. Now I do this my way. If people don't like it they know the few individuals to take it up with who ruined it for everyone.

I released this game to give people something fun to do while we're all living in difficult and stressful times, and I really don't want to get into a debate about this. 

No offence taken,  I can see you don't have many posts so probably also don't have the history on this subject.

All the best.  Keep washing your hands!

The best thing to take from CJ's post here is to keep washing your hands. Also don't ask him to do anything that his experience tells him not to do. For example I pointed out that the character does not duck and then he did me up like a kipper. He is always right. There's always a possibility that he's Australian too which means he also thinks he's always right. ? His next project is Coronaoids. Where the little ship has to navigate through vains to distroy floating viruses. 

• Like 1

On 4/3/2020 at 8:59 PM, CyranoJ said:

The game will likely appear in the future on a compilation of similarly sized projects.  I love working on these smaller games where the focus is on nailing the fun and gameplay, so I think I might do a few more of these until there is enough for a multicart.

Hmm, I have a suggestion for another potential game for a multicart.  How about a Jaguar port of Phoenix that was given a similar treatment?  Just food for thought.  ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TrekMD said:

Hmm, I have a suggestion for another potential game for a multicart.  How about a Jaguar port of Phoenix that was given a similar treatment?  Just food for thought.  ;)

Speaking of Phoenix someone in the A8 forum is working on that. 

Edited by walter_J64bit
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TrekMD said:

Can I finish Gravitic Mines first? :D

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...