IGNORED

1200XL SuperVideo 2.1 mod.. C103/4 resistors or capacitors?

leech

So started to mod the 1200xl, pulled up the resistors (it asked to cut, but I figured if I just disconnected them for now, if I screw up, I can revert.. )

So then onto the next step, but it says "Carefully de-solder capacitors C103 and C104.  One of them will be reused."  But the spot where I see C103 and C104, there are two resistors.

The screenshot links are broken as well.   http://ftp.pigwa.net/stuff/collections/nir_dary_cds/Hardware Projects/Super Video 2.1XL/supervid5.html

For example, the Fig 9. link for the schematic (which badly needs to be cleaned up) is actually at

http://ftp.pigwa.net/stuff/collections/nir_dary_cds/Hardware%20Projects/Super%20Video%202.1XL/fig9.jpg

20200403_204223.jpg

Edited by leech
Added links

4 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Those are axial capacitors, even though that style isn't used much at all these days.

Cool, thanks.  That make more sense.  I'm just thinking thank god I got lasik a few years ago, otherwise I'd probably have lots more trouble trying to read the things.  I'll continue onward!

1 hour ago, leech said:

Cool, thanks.  That make more sense.  I'm just thinking thank god I got lasik a few years ago, otherwise I'd probably have lots more trouble trying to read the things.  I'll continue onward!

Those two were little bastards to get out!  The one side was easy, the other, not so much.  Now getting C99 to leave it's home is being a problem.  Had to stop for a while, as I needed to do some work.  hopefully can pick up the mod work in a little bit. 

Accidentally de-soldered a few bits, but at least they were easy to solder back into place :P

Hopefully last question for this one.. Where the hell is R187?  I've looked all over the board and the image and the schematics... It very much is eluding me!  @bob1200xl I believe you are the expert here?  I think this is the last component I need to remove.

Edited by leech

2 hours ago, leech said:

Hopefully last question for this one.. Where the hell is R187?  I've looked all over the board and the image and the schematics... It very much is eluding me!  @bob1200xl I believe you are the expert here?  I think this is the last component I need to remove.

It's just in front of the left side of the rectifier bridge, the attached PDF has it highlighted.

1200XL PCB layout.pdf

Edited by BillC

Not sure if my capture card just sucks (probably) but there is the pre/post mod!  At least it boots up and gives me things, and the S-Video now works with color.

Granted now I have this really odd issue.  Boot up Ultima IV (I've already discovered I have two versions that do different things with the colors).  On the 1200XL, looks nice, blue water, green trees, etc.

On my 800XL... what the hell?  Same version gives me Purple borders instead of blue... and on top of that, I can't even take a picture of it as my camera shows it as blue...

Well that's for another thread, thanks for the help everyone!

Atari 1200XL pre-mod.png

Atari 1200XL post-mod.png