IGNORED

Bit the bullet on a 1040 STE (nube)

Bee

I will start out saying I had the 502 ST, then 1040 ST, the a Mega ST 4.  Back in the day.  After I sold my Mega ST4, I picked up a used Atari Mega ST2.  It was a quick deal on Craigslist back in the 90's and 1 out of 4 times it would white screen and lock up.  I pulled it out after reviving my 1040ST, and the Mega ST2 is a no go after it's last boot 17 years ago.  I tried 3 different power supplies and the same result.  So I decided to get a 1040STE and pump it up to 4 megs of RAM off eBay.  It boots and runs as one would expect with 2 strange observations.  No matter what I do if I change to medium resolution and save the desktop it boots back to low resolution.  Also I realized I have no sound coming form my color monitor and no way to control the volume.  "It's not you it's me" It dawned on me the problem is probably my lack of knowledge on the STE and updated software I don't have.   Can anyone enlighten me on what I'm looking for?  I'm assuming a newer control accessory?

Thank you

I love v2.06 and much prefer it to earlier versions. However,

in the interest of compatibility what you may want to do is

install a TOS switcher - that way you can boot up into what

ever version you need/want.

PS Keep in mind, going from TOS v1.6 to v1.62 is a matter

of simply swapping 2 chips. It's a bit more difficult to install

a TOS switcher.

Edited by DarkLord
Additional info provided.

I can send you programmed EPROMs with TOS 1.62, or with multiple TOS versions - up to 4 . Considering switchable TOS: 2.06 is not good for gaming, while it has much better Desktop than TOS 1.xx . TOS switch is really easy to make - if you can do little soldering. Need only to bend little highest address pin(s) and connect it to switch. With it you select which section of EPROM is active, so which TOS is active.

On 4/5/2020 at 12:38 AM, Bee said:

Problems mostly sorted, now need to upgrade the simms.  Thanks for the replies.  Where do I find the TOS 1.62 chips?

Untitled.jpg

I might actual have a legit set that I removed from my STe when I upgraded to 2.06,  is this a US system?

No worries, Thanks for looking.  I have a set of Simms coming later this week, I will open up my STE and check the DMA chip, upgrade the Ram.  Then I will follow up with @ParanoidLittleMan, your offer is very kind.  There is a learning curve for sure beyond the Mega 2 ST.  

Thank you