IGNORED

What gives these away as fakes?

Stuart

The TI symbol is totally wrong and Philippines has two wrong letters in it. I'm pretty sure QGS is also a code TI didn't ever use on these, and most 9900 chips were produced well before 1987, so 8808 is a suspect production date.

In answer to the 4MHz question, I have plenty of them, most purchased long before the onset of the fake invasion. I also have a single 16 MHz-rated 9995, obtained directly from the TI labs in Munich a few decades ago. The 9995s don't generally show up rated at that speed--I've only ever seen one of them.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, INVISIBLE said:

I've never seen these ones from Korea before.  Where did you get them helocast?

I don't remember the Ebay vendor's name, but used to sell BIN sets of four. Not sure if it's the same place, but here's a comparable current listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/6PC-S9900P-16-BIT-MICROPROCESSOR-LOT-PDIP64/392748041055

• Like 1

11 hours ago, helocast said:

I don't remember the Ebay vendor's name, but used to sell BIN sets of four. Not sure if it's the same place, but here's a comparable current listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/6PC-S9900P-16-BIT-MICROPROCESSOR-LOT-PDIP64/392748041055

milparts_online has been selling the S9900s for a long time. I think I've bought at least 20 of them from him over the last 15 years, and all of them were good chips.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Pins are highly tarnished, which tells me the chip is probably old stock--not a recent fake. It is odd that there is no TI symbol on the chip, but everything else I see says it may actually be an original chip pulled out of something someone was parting out.

Edited by Ksarul
  • Like 2