IGNORED

What is AspeQt?

I've just built my 1088XEL with the built-in SIO2USB. I've had an AtariMax SIO2PC-USB and APE for a couple of years now, but figured I'd give this a try since it's built into the machine. I've been wanting to try RespeQt anyway. I've seen some references to AspeQt. What is that? Is it an older version and they changed the name? Is it a similar program for another operating system? Even Googling I haven't been able to find out much about it.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, bfollowell said:

I've just built my 1088XEL with the built-in SIO2USB. I've had an AtariMax SIO2PC-USB and APE for a couple of years now, but figured I'd give this a try since it's built into the machine. I've been wanting to try RespeQt anyway. I've seen some references to AspeQt. What is that? Is it an older version and they changed the name? Is it a similar program for another operating system? Even Googling I haven't been able to find out much about it.

Thanks.

AspeQt is the software that RespeQt was forked from.

AspeQt was originally created by Fatih Aygün (cyco130 here IIRC) as an open source software for SIO2PC based peripheral emulation. At some point, cyco130 stopped working on AspeQt and the project got handed off to Atari8warez who worked on it for a while after that. Several years ago, Atari8warez got himself banned from Atariage and decided shortly after those events to attempt to close the source of AspeQt (outside his rights to do so, but nobody was about to take someone to court over it). At that time, I forked AspeQt to form RespeQt so that the community could continue development on the software separately.

• Like 3

This is where it all began: http://www.classiccmp.org/cpmarchives/ftp.php?b=cpm%2FSoftware%2FUserGroups%2FFOG%2FFOG024

You will need CP/M tools to unsQueeze them. from here: http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cpm/ALLFILES.html

WordStar in non-document mode is great for editing them. Found here:http://www.retroarchive.org/cpm/text/text.htm

You will need the BD Software C Compiler from here: https://www.bdsoft.com/dist/bdsc-all.zip

SLR Assembler / Linker here :http://www.retroarchive.org/cpm/lang/lang.htm

I added double density support, 16M drives, and UltraSpeed.

Sadly, I lost my code in a move.

Here it is for any CP/M C programmers to have a go.

Ataribus.zip

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Hello all,

I'm not sure if this is where I need to post my newby question but here goes:

In using an Atari SDMax drive and also, lately, the FujiNet device, these use, typically, the .ATR format to read and write data to an SD card or to the net.  This, for the most part, works out just fine.  Lately I've wanted to install some additional fonts (.FNT) into my word processor, which accepts them, but haven't figured out how this is done using either the SDMax or the FujiNet.  I can create an .ATR blank and formatted disk image easily enough.  I can also install a .FNT file onto an empty drive slot as well.  The problem is that my WP program can't see the disk image with the .FNT data on it as it's not formatted in an .ATR image.  It wants me to format it but if I do then the .FNT images gets erased and I have another blank .ATR disk.  If I try to put the .FNT data into the .ATR formatted disk then the formatted disk gets erased and I can't access the .FNT file that I need.  Round and round I go with the same issues.  Can anyone here help me understand what I am not doing correctly?  It doesn't seem a complex problem to me but then again the .ATR format is quite new to me and perhaps I just don't "get it".  

Any guidance or help would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Alfred Olivas

Gresham, Oregon

OK, I'm not trying slam you or anything, but why in the world would you come to the RespeQt SIO2PC Software sub-forum, something your issue has absolutely nothing to do with, and tack your question onto the end of a completely unrelated thread, in hopes of getting help on your issue?

I may be able to help you some, but I'm not all that familiar with the SDrive-MAX, and this definitely isn't the forum or the thread for it regardless.

Go back to the main Atari 8-Bit Computers forum and start your own thread with an appropriate description for your issue and I'm certain you will get no end of help, and probably fairly quickly.

Good luck!

• Like 1

On 4/5/2020 at 1:15 PM, bfollowell said:

OK, so good for historical purposes, but can basically be forgotten, and move forward with RespeQt.

Thanks guys.

Based on all the code I have seen and the many forks floating around the internet - RespeQT is a fork of AspeQT.    The core code is almost identical!   These days it seem like RespeQT has kinda gone the way the Apache Web Server did server 15 or so years ago.  Too many contributors creating an unstable app with incomplete functionality   I have gone back to AspeQT just for that reason. 

Edited by 13Leader
  • Confused 1

On 12/13/2020 at 7:09 AM, 13Leader said:

oo many contributors creating an unstable app

“Unstable”? LOLwhut? I’ve used pretty much every version of RespeQt built by first @Joey Z and then the various builds which added in expanded printer support and Happy/Archiver functionality. All have worked as advertised for me in extensive use. I’ve *never* had a stability problem or any issues with the program crashing or locking up, under either Mac OS (4-5 years ago), Win10 or Raspbian Linux. 

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry if I triggered some folks but I have worked as C++ and Java programmer over 30  years.   The code review I had done shows lots of dead code,  unused classes, QT objects that are connected to nothing.  That's just how it goes with too many cooks in the kitchen.  And  why I switch back to Aspeqt.  Anyway it was clearing forked at some point for RespeQT.     

Edited by 13Leader

• 7 months later...
2 hours ago, matosimi said:

Just to be sure... so the SF repo: https://sourceforge.net/projects/respeqt/ contains in fact AspeQt (2K21) which is the latest version of this peripheral emulator that is actually a fork of RespeQt with code cleanup?

clearly someone has been working towards exactly that.

Wow, now we have the ultimate confusion.

The old AspeQt by atari8warez then RespeQt by JoeyZ as a fork of it and now a different AspeQt which has nothing to do with the old one and might be a fork of RespeQt.

I feel massively PerpleQst.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

On 8/3/2021 at 5:45 PM, DjayBee said:

Wow, now we have the ultimate confusion.

The old AspeQt by atari8warez then RespeQt by JoeyZ as a fork of it and now a different AspeQt which has nothing to do with the old one and might be a fork of RespeQt.

I feel massively PerpleQst.

Yes - and an incomplete history: Ray is with the AspeQt project as of version 0.7. I cannot remember the original inventor's name, I think it was someone from Turkey, but I am not sure ...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, GoodByteXL said:

Yes - and an incomplete history: Ray is with the AspeQt project as of version 0.7. I cannot remember the original inventor's name, I think it was someone from Turkey, but I am not sure ...

Found it:

AspeQt: Copyright 2009 by Fatih Aygun. You can freely copy, use, modify and distribute it under the GPL 2.0 license. Please see license.txt for details.

Silk Icons: Copyright by Mark James (famfamfam.com). They are used in this package under Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License.

• 1 month later...

AspeQt is a dead , obsolete project by reyyan ataergin (ray), who is an evil troll that was banned from AtariAge.

RespeQt is a wonderful program with excellent features.

He [ray] has personally harassed me, and some of our most brilliant programmers here. I shall take LEGAL action if he does again.

[END OF DISCUSSION].

Edited by Kyle22
clarity.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/7/2021 at 3:12 AM, Kyle22 said:

obsolete project by reyyan ataergin

Simply wrong.

License
RespeQt fork Copyright 2015-2017 by Joseph Zatarski, Copyright 2015 by DrVenkman, Copyright 2016, 2017 by TheMontezuma, Copyright 2016, 2017 by josch1710, and Copyright 2017 by blind.
RespeQt is based on AspeQt 1.0.0-preview7
Original AspeQt code up to version 0.6.0
Copyright 2009 by Fatih Aygün.
Updates to AspeQt since v0.6.0 to 1.0.0-preview7 Copyright 2012 by Ray Ataergin
You can freely copy, use, modify and distribute RespeQt under the GPL 2.0 license. Please see license.txt for details.
Qt libraries:
Copyright 2009 Nokia Corporation and/or its subsidiary(-ies). Used in this package under LGPL 2.0 license.
Silk Icons:
Copyright Mark James.Used in this package under Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 license.
Additional Icons by
Oxygen Team.
Used in this package under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 license.
AtariSIO Linux kernel module and high speed code used in the EXE loader Copyright
Matthias Reichl.
Used in this package under GPL 2.0 license.
Atascii Fonts by
Mark Simonson. Used in this package under Freeware License.
RespeQt icon by
djmat56. Used with permission.
Support for the spanish language by AsCrNet.
RespeQt Client program (rcl.com) Copyright FlashJazzCat. Used under the GPL v2.