IGNORED

FlashRom 99 questions

Goochman

So I stumbled upon the pinned Flashrom topic and it got me to invest in a FlashRom 99 for my beige/white TI-99 4/a which I almost sold!

I downloaded alot of the images and such posted in the other thread.  There is a starter zip file which has files placed in a directory hierarchy as follows:

DEMOS

DEV

EDU 

GAMES

HOMEBREW

TOOLS

in reading the instructions for the FR99 it appears that it only reads the root directory to build its menu, so I copied (not move) the roms from the GAMES directory to the root of the SD card.

When I turn on my TI with the FR99 I get a menu listing games, however I get multiple listings for the same game.

For example - Ms Pacman shows up 3 times and only the last entry runs.  The other 2 entries dont run.  This is the same for a number of games on the menu.

So my question is does the FR99 look into directories in order to create  its menu or is there another reason why I get 3 entries?

Some games dont work - most of these load (I see the spinning circle in the bottom RH corner), but stay stuck on a blue screen.  Would this be because I dont have a 32k module?

Some games go to a black screen with no rhyme or reason?

One game that Id like to play is Munch Man - this only shows up in the menu once and it stops in a blue screen.  I would think Munch Man should be an 8k game that would run fine from a FR99?  Does anyone have a known working rom of Munchman that works through the FR99 and no memory expansion?  Munch Man II works just fine, but it also has 3 menu entries.

Finally - does anyone know of a place I could get a reasonably priced 32k ram expansion for my basic Ti-99 4/a?

• Like 1

NanoPEB/CF7+ aren't exactly modern solutions, but they do offer disk and 32k RAM in a simple package and are still manufactured. TIPI with the SAMS memory is probably the best modern approach since the expanded RAM is expected to have some nice upcoming software ;) ArcadeShopper is your point man there.

• Like 4

The simple solution to your problem is to restore the original directory the way it was!  You will be allowed to fully see the top directory (also sub-directories) by using the "." to page right and the "," to page back left (the upper right corner will have the page count for the current level).  You select each sub-directory by pressing the "A,B,C,D,E,F," etc.

Please go have fun now with this amazing super cartridge!!!!  I do so with my F18A/USB/KVM TI-99/A w/TI-Speech+NanoPEB  that shares this "workstation" with two Dell laptops, and one Dell Mini-Tower OptiPlex Windows PC.

Retro Bill

Edited by FDOS
left out quotes.
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Goochman said:

Some games dont work - most of these load (I see the spinning circle in the bottom RH corner), but stay stuck on a blue screen.  Would this be because I dont have a 32k module?

Yes. Many programs, games etc. requires the 32K Memory Expansion.

15 hours ago, Goochman said:

So I stumbled upon the pinned Flashrom topic and it got me to invest in a FlashRom 99 for my beige/white TI-99 4/a which I almost sold!

I downloaded alot of the images and such posted in the other thread.  There is a starter zip file which has files placed in a directory hierarchy as follows:

DEMOS

DEV

EDU 

GAMES

HOMEBREW

TOOLS

in reading the instructions for the FR99 it appears that it only reads the root directory to build its menu, so I copied (not move) the roms from the GAMES directory to the root of the SD card.

When I turn on my TI with the FR99 I get a menu listing games, however I get multiple listings for the same game.

For example - Ms Pacman shows up 3 times and only the last entry runs.  The other 2 entries dont run.  This is the same for a number of games on the menu.

So my question is does the FR99 look into directories in order to create  its menu or is there another reason why I get 3 entries?

One game that Id like to play is Munch Man - this only shows up in the menu once and it stops in a blue screen.  I would think Munch Man should be an 8k game that would run fine from a FR99?  Does anyone have a known working rom of Munchman that works through the FR99 and no memory expansion?  Munch Man II works just fine, but it also has 3 menu entries.

Finally - does anyone know of a place I could get a reasonably priced 32k ram expansion for my basic Ti-99 4/a?

There are plenty of docs that describe how to add 32k to the inside of the console too. Always an option.

• Like 1

The starter zip file with five directories in is for the FG99.
FG99 allows a directory structure and allows you to use module images that use GROMs. This is a different device to the FR99.

FR99 will have problems with these files as it only runs module images with ROMS, does not support a directory structure, and has a limit to the number of files you can have on each card. FR99 will often require the use of 32k ram where the module image has been taken from an EA5 file.

If you HAVE 32k ram then there is a starter pack for FR99 at http://ftp.whtech.com/Cartridges/FlashROM99/

If you have FR99 and no 32k ram there is a starter pack just for you at
https://atariage.com/forums/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=464955

enjoy s

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for everyones help - I got a 32k addon and someone shared with me their folder structure.  Im running into another strange problem  that I wanted to make sure is something Im not doing wrong before asking the manufacturer:

I purchased this FlashRom99 and also their 32k sidecar module from here:

https://thebrewingacademy.com/collections/ti-99-4a/products/texas-instruments-99-4a-flashrom-99 

From what Ive read I should be able to navigate folders when starting the computer with the F99, however I dont see any folders.  If I dont have any ROMs in the root of my SDHC card then the F99 doesnt appear in the bootup menu.  If I put the ROMs in the root then it shows up just fine (no folders) with the ROMs and I can play games.

My question is are F99's different across vendors or would I need a more recent firmware or such?

The 32k module solved my Munchman problem :) 

flashROM99 has no folder support

FINALGROM99 has folder support

if your rom sdcard has folders it's for the finalgrom..  the flashrom only supports up to 32k size files ROM ONLY .. while finalgrom supports up to 1mb with ROM and up to 64k GROM support.. 

flashrom was replaced by finalgrom years ago..  dunno why he's still selling them. 

Greg 

• Like 1