IGNORED

TI99/4 Expansion unit

Sean39

2 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

did you look at the FAQ pinned post at the top of the forum? It has most of your answers.

Greg

Hi Greg

I did not know that, Thank you for the help. I found the books on the PEB that were in with other boxes.

Anyways it says the 32K RAM module add itself on to the 16K memory in the computer.

So I am guessing you have a full 48K of RAM with the extra 32K added on. This is the way the original book

explains it.

Now I keep hearing about a 128K expansion module that goes inside the PEB are these hard to come by since I see some programs require it ?

Any help on this would be great.

Thank you

Edited by Sean39

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone

I have one PEB with the Original Texas instrument drive

I find it easy to insert the disk when getting it out of the drive it takes some work. Like as it is stuck almost in the drive, Is this normal for the Texas instrument drive.

Thanks

On 4/11/2020 at 1:16 PM, Sean39 said:

Hi Greg

I did not know that, Thank you for the help. I found the books on the PEB that were in with other boxes.

Anyways it says the 32K RAM module add itself on to the 16K memory in the computer.

So I am guessing you have a full 48K of RAM with the extra 32K added on. This is the way the original book

explains it.

Now I keep hearing about a 128K expansion module that goes inside the PEB are these hard to come by since I see some programs require it ?

Any help on this would be great.

Thank you

there's a few memory cards 128k, 512k and 1mb ..also covered in the FAQ..  the latest is the 1mb SAMS and it's available at arcadeshopper.com or through @Ksarul here.. 

26 minutes ago, Sean39 said:

Hi everyone

I have one PEB with the Original Texas instrument drive

I find it easy to insert the disk when getting it out of the drive it takes some work. Like as it is stuck almost in the drive, Is this normal for the Texas instrument drive.

Thanks

which drive, there were two.. one with a lever door, and one with the push button.. usually the push button model shot your disk across the room when you ejected it! 

7 minutes ago, Sean39 said:

Hi it is the one with the door on it ?

Can that be fixed where it not hard to pull the disk out

Likely.. it depends on what's gumming up the works..   since it's over 30 years old it's probably dirty and the lubrication has all gummed or dried up on the various parts inside..  

I would take it out, clean anything that has parts that rub against other parts, switches rails etc..with alcohol and a qtip..then add a light coating of white lithium grease to the rails and that should last another 30 years..  

If you aren't up to that there are floppy disk emulators that can be dropped in that replace the rotating drive with a usb thumbstick that contains disk images 

• Like 2

Ok the drive functions good and reads. The disk seem to go in to the drive very easy.

I only have a hard time getting the disk back out of the drive and have to wiggle it to get it out like it catching on something

taking drive out right now

Found problem Write protection arm was sticking up to far. Re adjusted it and disk now goes in and out ok.

Also I can hear the switch working in case I do stick a write protected disk in it.

Look like we are good now. I have PEB coming with the Push button You were taking about.

The other PEB has a different drive in it that over 1/2 half the space so I had to fit a piece in the space that was open to close the part that was open

It was the Remex type drive that was in earlier post. I found that drive worked and loaded programs really fast compaired to the original Texas instruments drives

This is working drive and very fast drive to load programs

Ex-Cell-o-Corparation

Remex Division

Model RFD480

Texas instrument drive is Model PHP 1250

Thanks

Edited by Sean39
  • Like 1

If at some point you want to get away from disk drives, there is a modern alternative for the drive bay << HERE >>.  I really enjoyed mine, and still use it for some things, but honestly, after the P-Box TIPI came onto the scene, 99.9% of what I do is on it.  Life became too simple to send programs to the TI from my PC with WiFi and the storage capacity is just insane.  I could never go back.

For the record, I have no monetary stake or interest in the TIPI, I'm just in love the damn thing, so sorry for sounding like a commercial.

9 hours ago, INVISIBLE said:

If at some point you want to get away from disk drives, there is a modern alternative for the drive bay << HERE >>.  I really enjoyed mine, and still use it for some things, but honestly, after the P-Box TIPI came onto the scene, 99.9% of what I do is on it.  Life became too simple to send programs to the TI from my PC with WiFi and the storage capacity is just insane.  I could never go back.

For the record, I have no monetary stake or interest in the TIPI, I'm just in love the damn thing, so sorry for sounding like a commercial.

At this point in time, the only viable use of a physical disk system is software preservation, I.E. dumping disk images/content for archiving.

20 hours ago, INVISIBLE said:

For me, the only reason for beeing here and playing all this stuff, is "going back" ;) 

Life was simple in this times, and never got easier, up to today. More comfortable, yes, but easier, no.

At least, not for me.

• Like 3

Well

I now have one PEB completely working. It has the Serial card, 32K card and the drive does work.

I did fix the drive that was sticking but I found I like the way the Remex drive load faster.

This is working drive and very fast drive to load programs

Ex-Cell-o-Corparation

Remex Division

Model RFD480

I have a 3rd PEB box and it has the drive that has the button on it. Yes I have 3 PEB boxes.

Just say that I really love having TI-99 equipment. With my dad being in the military from 1959 to 1968.

Then he got out and started to work for TI in 1968 to the early 1980s. Then he went to work for another company really

not sure but I know they did work for Atari and other companies. He was an electronic Engineer.

Anyways there is stuff I really like about the TI computers but I have programed on the Atari computers as well.

I know my dad work on the TI 2500 in 1972 which was one of the first hand held calculators made by them.

Anyways I am really trying to get one of these computers up in memory of my father.

I know my father always talked about the Dimension 4 computers and that was the only proto type I knew of on the TI-99/4

type computers. Well at least before the name changed. If there were other proto types I never heard my dad talk about them.

I need some help on this. I have been looking at buying this computer in memory of my dad on ebay but I am afraid to buy it

since it is not a Dimension 4 computer.  Please look since it has a card on the bottom of it but that cannot be the only evidence of it being a proto type. I am afraid that could be printed now a days and just stuck on the computer. Also look at the date on most the chips are early but the U610 chip date seems way newer than the earlier chips. I was really young still in 1978 and 1979.  I was around 15 years old back then,so a lot did not stick with me.

Anyways I will post the link to the computer. I would love some help on this before I spend a lot of money on a computer that may not be a proto type. Also it looks like the seller is selling this computer for someone else. I do know it may not work as well.

Anyways take a look and please give me some advice weather this is a proto type or not. I am not just going by the label on the bottom that could be printed on a computer. I might be being over cautious but I think it better to be safe than sorry.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Texas-Instruments-TI-99-4-Engineering-Prototype-717-No-Serial-Number/133264016332?hash=item1f072783cc:g:iOoAAOSwBi5d3JS6

Ok guys I need help on this one, If this is real . Then I will be getting this in memory of my dad time at Texas Instruments.

I just wish he was still alive to see it.

Thanks

Edited by Sean39
  • Like 3

Hi

I may of put this under the wrong thread but if anyone can read my post above this one.

Please see if you can help me out on the computer that is up for sale on ebay.

This would be so appreciated more than you will ever know.

Thank you.

Hi see

the one on ebay that had sold on ebay  was a Dimension 4.

The one up there now is not a Dimension 4. The Dimension 4 are the proto types.

So the one up on ebay is just a very early T-99/4 computer and not a proto type computer.

This one is actually a true proto type since it is a Dimension 4 computer. Like my father talked about when I was on 15 years of age in 1978.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Texas-Instruments-TI-99-4-Prototype-034-Dimension-4-034-extremely-rare-034-As-Is-034-/264620957469?hash=item3d9ca35f1d%3Ag%3A3IEAAOSwW-heNwPD&nma=true&si=wYyTnyyX5eWZg3rCX3j6lge7HAk%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Thank that clear up alot of things so the one up on ebay is way over priced since it is not a proto type computer.

Just a very early TI-99/4 computer and maybe the number 717 is correct and that is a serial number. or it just means 7 / 7

Which would be 7 out of 7 computers.  Well is this computer worth what they are asking for it ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Texas-Instruments-TI-99-4-Engineering-Prototype-717-No-Serial-Number/133264016332?hash=item1f072783cc:g:iOoAAOSwBi5d3JS6

Is this worth getting in memory of my father work. I just do not want to pay a price that normally goes for a proto type Computer.

This is not a Dimension 4 computer like the one that was on ebay in the past.( which was a true proto type computer)

Thanks

On the quest for a Dimension 4, I wish you luck. I bought the one sold on Ebay a while back. It was the first time a complete one of them has come up for sale in the last 20 years. The only other time something directly related to a Dimension 4 came up for sale before that auction was a job lot sold by a scrapper about 6 years ago. It had the circuit cards from a bunch of 99/4A computers that he'd pulled out of their cases (and he threw the cases away, because they were plastic and didn't have any metals worth reclaiming in them). Unfortunately, one of the machines he destroyed doing that was a Dimension 4. That auction gave me all of the circuit cards that go into one--but not the keyboard or the case, so it isn't a complete machine by any means.

So far as I know, any other surviving Dimension 4s are in museums, and even finding one that way may be a forlorn hope, as the parts I got from the scrapper were from one that was de-accessioned by a museum in Texas that no longer wanted it.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 5/1/2020 at 6:31 PM, Sean39 said:

Well I have not even had one response back from that seller. I am guessing maybe I over whelmed him with so many questions.

Thanks

Relisted a couple times but still on ebay. It might not be a Dimension 4, but it is likely a true prototype (or at least early pre-production sample [that would also likely be labeled a little differently]) of the 99/4, but made after they dropped the Dimension 4 name, which had an IR port on the top and volume control on the front. Those were dropped from the 99/4.

Can't comment on the price, other than it seems high compared to the much more rare Dim.4 prior version.

Edited by Ed in SoDak