IGNORED

The new great game: TI-tanic ---> "Captain of TI-tanic!"

oddemann

I have a challenge!

I have a idea for a game, there is this huge ship and your the captain on it. First you need to avoid ice bergs. If you hit an ice berg you need to save the ship and or the passengers.

First part is trying to avoid ice bergs, but there is no way for the player to NOT hit the ice bergs (don't tell him :D). The games starts when TI-tanic hits the ice berg!

Ideas:
- You need to take the elevator down to fix holes. (Hands on).
- You need to order officers to save women and children!
- You need to send SOS!
- What more task?

So I was hoping to get some different teams to make this game. Lets say 4 to 6 in a team, to make there own version of it and then at the end vote on the best idea!

As a final end, take the best ideas, graphics, sound and so on and make "Captain of TI-tanic!"

So first make a common starting point for all and then make the game with the teams. Have a full idea of what could be in the game. After 5 days of brainstorming we have a plan and the teams are set up. Then... Game on!

What do YOU think?

• Like 3

Tasks!
- Delegating orders and tasks! Chaos possibility!
- Sending SOS!
- Asking for help from other ships!
- Sending staff to load and ship out lifeboats! Chaos possibility!
- Finding hole in ship!
- Close hole in ship!
- Close sections!
- Wake up people!
- Stop party's!
- Get people up to lifeboats!
- Start emergency power!
- Recruit help from passages! (the RIGHT people!) Chaos possibility!

- ??? Help ???

Phases! (Could be that some phase's are to much or Part II. Brainstorming, better with to much then a limited idea!)
Intro I: All is well and what a great time!
Intro II: Crash!
Trying to keep TI-tanic from sinking!
Saving all before sinking!
Save people in the sea!
Survive until ship arrive to save!
Outro: Skill you display as a representation of how good the player was!

• Captain (or Master)
  • Mate (or 1st Mate, 1st Officer)
  • 2nd Mate (or 2nd Officer)
  • Bosun (or 3rd Mate / Officer)
  • Chief Engineer
  • 2nd Engineer
  • Medical Purser
  • Cook
  • Watch Leader
  • Bosun's Mates
  • Cook's Assistant
  • Passenger
  • Clueless kid!
Edited by oddemann
  • Like 1

Very interesting idea. The problem is that the events and order execution are not sequential but are all occurring simultaneously, not to mention that they are inter-dependent meaning that an event/task might interfere with one or more other events/tasks. Dealing with this is definitely possible but likely very slow.

One way I can think of is time-slicing. Set up a master counter, and with each increment check the status of each event or task. Assign a unique integer identifier to each possible event or task and create a 2 dimensional array consisting of (ID, ID) where each cell indicates whether an event has no effect on another event (0), a negative effect (-1) or a positive effect (1). Another single dimension array of ID will keep track of the status of each task/order. Adjust affected events accordingly, update the game, increment the master counter and so on and so forth... Obviously this is all very high level and coding it will be a bit hairy :)

Would love to see how you progress.

I was thinking sequential AND simultaneously!
First the Titanic story is a frame, not the "truth". So that the game will take freedoms where it is a better game then the truth. Fun, before what is correct!

Like the first thing that happens is hitting the ice berg, and IF you can't fix the hole in time then it will go into the next sequence. So as time is ticking, you get less and less option. Until the ship is gone and as many as possible is saved. So you have "many" possibility's to win early. BUT... I don't want it to be one way only. There should be different ways to do it quickly and it changes (RND). Or maybe there should be ONLY one way/sequence to do stuff to save the ship. Time and sequence are counted up against "perfect" score.

But two counters might be the best way to go. One master counter and one for the sequence one is in. The good thing is that one then get more numbers to make a hi-score that has more fractions. Like Master conter 0 and 14 sequence (example) It would be 014 So if you do it slightly faster then you have 013. Or later on the master counter... 214. And from that assign you a Title for your effort.

Thank you for your ideas! This is a free for all to share, design, brainstorm, make or just read. You might even copy it all and make this game all by yourself. I just want to play and hash out a idea for a game. And the more people adding ideas, the better the game can be.

So... Than you very much Vorticon ;)

PS! I see that the simultaneously is not clear.

I think that you can aim for JUST saving as many people as possible, from the beginning, and let the ship sink. But that would "kill" your score. You get a score, but low!

So simultaneously in the sense that you can focus on ANY of the possibilities sequences from A to Z! One way is then to go for one thing that is later in the sequence, it gives you more time to do good. OR, you keep trying to use ALL possibilities to win. But it means that your on your "heals" all the way in worst case! So going for all possibilities gives you less time in the next sequence. But should be do-able.

Hmmm I guess that makes the "counting and scoring" harder. Or maybe you should not get a score for trying to fix it early on. ONLY for when you fix it.

For an interesting perspective on the tragedy, there is a 2012 movie called "Saving the Titanic". This focuses on the heroic engineering crew who selflessly stayed (and died) at their positions maintaining the pumps, steam and electricity trying to give the best chances of survival for the others on the ship. Although not a high budget movie like Cameron's, it tells the story from a unique point of view. It can be seen on Youtube: 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, LASooner said:

Am I crazy or would this idea be perfect for Rasmus' platform 3 engine?

Both can be true.

For anyone with two hours and 40 minutes of time to spare, you can watch the Titanic sink in real-time

• Like 1

13 hours ago, LASooner said:

Am I crazy or would this idea be perfect for Rasmus' platform 3 engine?

Yes, that looks like a good engine for TI-tanic.

Would it have capacity to do 60 + rooms? Or is 60 + rooms to much for a game?
I think that with the "complexity" of 60 rooms, one has the space to make it "new" every time you play it. So that there is not ONE way only. So that when you played it ones, and you won. Then you can just repeat that. Would be best, I think with some randomness to the game.

Right now I am doing some "mind training" and is a little "gone" for a week or two. Hope to get back with new and a fresh mind to do more brainstorming.
PS! This game is free for anyone to make, I make it not mine. But, YOURS, if you want to have fun and make it ;)

Edited by oddemann