IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season 12 - Game 7 - Auto Racing

1 hour ago, Intelligentleman said:

When I get my copy, I'm going to start with the car that has the best handling. That's usually what I go for in modern racing games too.

Probably the red car. Looks like that one is most balanced.

Green is more forgiving with the lower speed and increased acceleration to recover from off track "moments", so I'd recommend starting with green. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Intelligentleman said:

Then I shall try green as well! Thanks for the tip.

When does your copy come in? Glad you're giving this one a try as well, it's remarkably good at the racing physics considering how early it is.  I don't think anything else of the era was worrying about variable turning rates and featured sliding/traction response with the same fidelity this game does. 

I will say it's been interesting playing this seriously again after so long. I realize now why the Flashback version confused me so much, my cart BITD was apparently the one with 4-directional steering instead of left/right steering. Definitely way more fun this way, but took a lot of adjustment! 

2 hours ago, BiffMan said:

That's a hell of a clean run with the red car!  That must be close to optimum. 

Thanks. It wasn't perfect, but I was pretty pleased with that one. The HSC record with the red car is a good few seconds faster than my time though, so there's obviously lots of room for improvement! 

Your time was very impressive with the blue car - I can't get on with it at all!

Edited by gezkc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BiffMan said:

When does your copy come in? Glad you're giving this one a try as well, it's remarkably good at the racing physics considering how early it is.  I don't think anything else of the era was worrying about variable turning rates and featured sliding/traction response with the same fidelity this game does. 

I will say it's been interesting playing this seriously again after so long. I realize now why the Flashback version confused me so much, my cart BITD was apparently the one with 4-directional steering instead of left/right steering. Definitely way more fun this way, but took a lot of adjustment! 

Guaranteed by Monday, but I feel like it might show up before then. I've wanted this one for a while. It reminds me of Super RC Pro Am for the original Gameboy. 

I can't believe it has drifting!

It's coming up from Florida and I'm in northeast Ohio... Akron area. So I really do think Monday at the latest is realistic. But that gives me time to go back to Mission X... If I could just stop playing deadly Discs!

Edited by Intelligentleman

32 minutes ago, Intelligentleman said:

Guaranteed by Monday, but I feel like it might show up before then. I've wanted this one for a while. It reminds me of Super RC Pro Am for the original Gameboy. 

I can't believe it has drifting!

It's coming up from Florida and I'm in northeast Ohio... Akron area. So I really do think Monday at the latest is realistic. But that gives me time to go back to Mission X... If I could just stop playing deadly Discs!

Hey, I’m in Barberton.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mr_me said:

3:15 course 1

mame, gravis gamepad

auto1_2.thumb.png.df263ac2e07abfa0b75388a2b74fef6b.png

Nice driving!

There are going to be some very close races by the end of this round! It's a shame Auto Racing doesn't show times down to tenths of a second as it'd be easier to split times up. 

It would have been great if they'd been able to include split times for each lap too - then you could experiment a bit more and see how it affects your lap time. 

Still, it's an amazing racing game considering its age. The car physics are spot on. 

Edited by gezkc
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gezkc said:

Thanks! I'm not sure about that though - the HSC record's almost a minute faster! ?

Those times by 1980gamer are incredible. 

Unless I'm misreading something... 

track 3
1980gamer 7:29

You got 7:40, so pretty damn close! 

1 hour ago, BiffMan said:

Unless I'm misreading something... 

track 3
1980gamer 7:29

You got 7:40, so pretty damn close! 

That's strange! I've screenshot Jacob's first post below. Where did you get your record from? 

_20200409_204213.JPG

Edited by gezkc

Don't know if the controls are best suited for the PS3 analog stick, but I'm sure there's a healthy dose of me just not being good thrown in there. Tried out all the cars and my best so far is with green, which I think looks like Frogger.

Track 1 Green Car 4:26

732290153_AutoRacing2020-04-0917_34_56.thumb.png.c57489fb58865fdcb65249914487927b.png

Track 3...hahahaha, yeah, not gettin' through that just yet.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, gezkc said:

That's strange! I've screenshot Jacob's first post below. Where did you get your record from? 

_20200409_204213.JPG

Ah, I was going off the all time HSC pinned thread. Maybe that's not being updated. Didn't realize Jacob had thoughtfully included those records in this very thread! Lol

Speaking of all time high scores... @JacobZu7zu7, where are we keeping the HSC records if not in that pinned thread? 

• Like 1