IGNORED

Intellivision HSC Season 12 - Game 7 - Auto Racing

Managed to shave a few seconds off. Still can't beat track 3. Don't want to "blame the controller", but emulating Intellivision and using a PS3 controller just doesn't compare to original hardware. This is one of those games that I think really doesn't translate. To stay humble, I probably wouldn't be too great if I did own the cart ?

3:52 Track 1 Red Car

200009323_AutoRacing2020-04-1814_55_51.thumb.png.7d4fd2a915a3534ad64ac92e7ab45811.png

Edited by fakecortex
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, fakecortex said:

Managed to shave a few seconds off. Still can't beat track 3. Don't want to "blame the controller", but emulating Intellivision and using a PS3 controller just doesn't compare to original hardware. This is one of those games that I think really doesn't translate. To stay humble, I probably wouldn't be too great if I did own the cart ?

3:52 Track 1 Red Car

200009323_AutoRacing2020-04-1814_55_51.thumb.png.7d4fd2a915a3534ad64ac92e7ab45811.png

Definitely not a good game for analog control, you really need tiny taps for steering

1 hour ago, mr_me said:

I've posted some decent times with an 8-way dpad.  It actually makes it easier to do hard turns without risking oversteering.

For a d-pad like on the ps3, do you have success pressing two buttons at once to register as "in between"? I don't know how much better I'd actually be using an Intv controller, but at least then I'd feel like I'm playing the way it was meant to, haha.

I find the 16 directions of original controller to be helpful. Can't say for certain, but pretty sure I use the ESE and WSW positions quite a bit and that extra bit of fidelity before the SE/SW positions helps slide without oversteering as often. 

Definitely a great example of a game designed to use the disc well and no real modern day controller equivalent that lets me be as precise. 

• Like 2

Has anyone ever tried the original steering on the original ROM of this game? I wanted to see if there was an option to try it on my old Intellivision Lives CD-ROM, but I can’t find the CD. Just curious if I could possibly control the car better than I do now - which isn’t that great.

3 hours ago, Ace24 said:

Has anyone ever tried the original steering on the original ROM of this game? I wanted to see if there was an option to try it on my old Intellivision Lives CD-ROM, but I can’t find the CD. Just curious if I could possibly control the car better than I do now - which isn’t that great.

Yes.  It's not on the lives cd but it's in some collections at archive.org [not in the set I was thinking of so not sure].  I consider it broken and unplayable.  It's very hard to find the spot for hard turns because it keeps moving.  I don't think it's the original steering method but the programmer added it at the request of others before release.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, mr_me said:

Yes.  It's not on the lives cd but it's in some collections at archive.org [not in the set I was thinking of so not sure].  I consider it broken and unplayable.  It's very hard to find the spot for hard turns because it keeps moving.  I don't think it's the original steering method but the programmer added it at the request of others before release.

Did you guys try the Easter egg code from intvfunhouse? It sounds like you might be able to toggle back and forth from the title screen...

I think these all the scores so far...

AUTO RACING ENDS AT MIDNIGHT EASTERN TIME ... 12:00AM EST

(HIGH SCORES)

Course 1

1. Biffman 3:06 (Blue car)

2. JacobZu7zu7 3:14 (Red car)

2. gezkc 3:14 (Red car)

2. cparsley 3:14 (Red car)

5. mr_me 3:15 (Red Car)

5. gezkc 3:15 (Red Car)

7. wolfy62 3:17 (Red Car)

8. Ace24 3:21 (Red Car)

9. cmadruga 3:24 (Red car)

10. Intelligentleman 3:30 (Red Car)

11. ed1475 3:37 (Red Car)

12. Player One 3:50 (Red Car)

13. fakecortex 3:52 (Red Car)

Course 3

1. gezkc 7:03 (Red Car)

2. mr_me 7:23 (Red Car)

3. cparsely 7:38 (Red Car)

4. JacobZu7zu7 7:39 (Green Car)

5. ed1475 7:40 (Red Car)

6. Ace 24 7:41 (Red car)

7. JasonlikesINTV 8:05 (Red Car)

8. cmadruga 8:06 (Red Car)

9. wolfy62 8:11 (Green Car)

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, JacobZu7zu7 said:

I think these all the scores so far...

AUTO RACING ENDS AT MIDNIGHT EASTERN TIME ... 12:00AM EST

(HIGH SCORES)

Course 1

1. Biffman 3:06 (Blue car)

2. JacobZu7zu7 3:14 (Red car)

2. gezkc 3:14 (Red car)

2. cparsley 3:14 (Red car)

5. mr_me 3:15 (Red Car)

5. gezkc 3:15 (Red Car)

7. wolfy62 3:17 (Red Car)

8. Ace24 3:21 (Red Car)

9. cmadruga 3:24 (Red car)

10. Intelligentleman 3:30 (Red Car)

11. ed1475 3:37 (Red Car)

12. Player One 3:50 (Red Car)

13. fakecortex 3:52 (Red Car)

Course 3

1. gezkc 7:03 (Red Car)

2. mr_me 7:23 (Red Car)

3. cparsely 7:38 (Red Car)

4. JacobZu7zu7 7:39 (Green Car)

5. ed1475 7:40 (Red Car)

6. Ace 24 7:41 (Red car)

7. JasonlikesINTV 8:05 (Red Car)

8. cmadruga 8:06 (Red Car)

9. wolfy62 8:11 (Green Car)

I had a 7:07 on course 3 in the red car a few pages back 

@gezkc I tried a couple of times today to top you in course 3, but no can do. Hell of a time you had there! ?

Will add your 7:07 post, had another update just now, but it got erased while i was almost done... browser did that thing with a tab opens a new browser window and the old one I was updating is gone entirely... ?

Edited by JacobZu7zu7
  • Like 3