IGNORED

Videogames on DVD

The DVD format is 23 years old at this point so i guess this can go here..(classic gaming).  First let me start by saying i'm not referring to games released on DVD media for existing consoles, but rather games released on DVD that will play on standard DVD movie players. 

So i was looking up Jack Nicklaus 4 the other day and i noticed it was released on DVD format (as well as Mac, PC, etc.) Ordered a copy off ebay for $5 and excited to check it out.  I can only assume you play with your DVD players remote control, and how precise it is depends on the player/remote. 

Is there a comprehensive list anywhere of games that were released on DVD?  I found one that includes Nuon games, but i don't count those because they won't play on ANY DVD player, which is what i'm referring to.  So far i know of:

-Dragon's Lair I-III

-Jack Nicklaus 4

-Mad Dog McCree I, II

-Space Ace

I'm sure there are probably 5-10 more, if not even more than that. 

Thanks and let me know what you've found/played and if it was any good.  Excited to explore some of these. 

s-l1600.jpg

s-l400.jpg

DVD Game.jpg

So I have never shilled my job here BUT happen to work for a company...we just bought the last new/sealed versions of these that were left. Blu of Space Ace, DVD of Dragon's Lair. Don't believe they have been pressed in years.

https://www.hamiltonbook.com/products/search?q=space+ace&cat_id=

Note we don't mark stuff up just because it is OOP or "rare"...that is basically what they sold for years ago.

• Like 4

Makes sense that a lot of these games are Board/Trivia/Quiz games since those would be easiest to control with a TV remote without error. 

If anyone sees or hears of any other games that do not fit the above genre, like say a Karting game, please do list it here! 

Seems like none of these lists are complete either.....Jack Nicklaus (a full on golf game) is missing from many.  Makes me wonder what else is available out there on DVD! 

Could be fun to explore as they are all dirt cheap. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, fiddlepaddle said:

Well, not DVD, but there were quite a few VCR games that you could easily put on DVD... Action Max, TV Teddy, even Teddy Ruxpin, and all those board games that came with a videotape.

VCR Clue was really fun

• Like 1

10 hours ago, fiddlepaddle said:

I remember them in school, worked like a slide projector showing one frame at a time. Play an LP that would narrate and beep when its time to move forward to the next frame (or sometimes would tell the operator to go back to the previous frame). It's interactive, and it's video...

Ahh yes... barely have any recollection of that from Grade and Middle School. A bit of tech I would have totally forgotten about had you not brought it up. Nice memory! 

Yes, Mad Dog McCree I and II are on DVD! 

What else we got that isn't trivia/quiz/board game? 

I feel like Myst or really any point and click adventure would have worked great on DVD, but the point and click craze was just fading hard around the time DVD's were getting big, so looks like they passed each other, like ships in the nights...

MDMDVD.jpg

• Thanks 1

Didn't know about dedicated DVD games. I know lots of movies would have games in their special features section.

Nuon was a great idea, but requiring a special, and relatively rare player kinda kills it.

I'll have to keep an eye out for DVD games. I do have a few BD games.

I just checked on RFGeneration, my preferred collecting checklist site.. hopefully this link will work.. (Great Free Site I use to house my collection and has a free App for my phone too)

http://www.rfgeneration.com/PHP/checklists.php?ID=U-00D;style=viewing;stats=1;showall=1

I have to say the Dragons Lair III is one of the strangest releases yet.. haha..

I also picked up a strange on at a San Antonio Pawn Shop years ago called I'm Your Man... just looked it up on Wiki..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I'm_Your_Man_(film)

Thayer's Quest and Sega's Hologram Game Time Traveler are 2 of my favorites.