IGNORED

SpartaDOS X 4.49 (release version)

drac030

10 minutes ago, ebiguy said:

maybe you have some kind of include file that you use for compiling SDX code or toolkit that you would be willing to share

Sure, here is the file you need:

page7.icl

But these are just the labels for the reverse-engineered source, the truly "official" ICD labels were different. This is not yet, er, integrated.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Did someone manage to somehow enable quick transmition for Atari 1050 with "1050 turbo" (by B. Engl) or its Polish clone (Top Drive 1050)?

SIO.SYS or INDUS.SYS don't recognize it, and it would be nice to have turbo speed, not only normal ;)

• 4 weeks later...

@Jacques I remember that there was some TTD.SYS in the past which was intended to enable the Top Drive turbo protocol in SDX. Maybe it is time to dig it out or recreate. But the problem is that my Top Drive 1050 does not work any more, so I can hardly see how such a driver could be tested.

And, for a different topic: some time ago someone reported that the alias feature in DOSKEY in SDX 4.49 does not work. I cannot find that post now. Anyway, here is a version attached that is hopefully fixed. To use it:

1) unpack (ARC X DOSKEY), then copy to the desired destination drive/directory, e.g. C:>BIN>

2) in your CONFIG.SYS file, add or edit the line which loads the DOSKEY program bundled with the 4.49. If it says, f.e.

DEVICE DOSKEY C:>ALIASES.INI

replace it with

DEVICE C:>BIN>DOSKEY C:>ALIASES.INI

(or whatever are the paths to these two).

3) reboot

DOSKEY.ARC

• Like 5

@drac030 If I am not mistaken, the 1050 Turbo used the same tops highspeed protocol - and tf_hh sells replicas of it. I have one myself - working on NTSC too. Not in highspeed with SDX though, as the highspeed handler has to load from the drive when booting with no disk in the drive.

This was the novel upgrade that did true double density in a 1050 with no additional RAM - just the stock 128 bytes in the 6532 + 128 in the 6810, and a whopping 8KB ROM to allow for creative ways to work with basically no stack in RAM.

Edited by Nezgar
8KB ROM, not 32KB ROM...

5 hours ago, Nezgar said:

@drac030 If I am not mistaken, the 1050 Turbo used the same tops highspeed protocol - and tf_hh sells replicas of it. I have one myself - working on NTSC too. Not in highspeed with SDX though, as the highspeed handler has to load from the drive when booting with no disk in the drive.

This was the novel upgrade that did true double density in a 1050 with no additional RAM - just the stock 128 bytes in the 6532 + 128 in the 6810, and a whopping 32KB ROM to allow for creative ways to work with basically no stack in RAM.

The whole idea is to enable highspeed via driver under SDX, not via Turbo 1050 / Top Drive firmware (which also does not work with SDX, from my experience).

@drac030
I'll search for TTD.SYS, maybe will be able to find it on the Internet ;-)

10 hours ago, Nezgar said:

the 1050 Turbo used the same tops highspeed protocol

Yes, I know.

10 hours ago, Nezgar said:

Not in highspeed with SDX though, as the highspeed handler has to load from the drive when booting with no disk in the drive.

As you certainly realize, the point is to provide a (relocatable) *.SYS driver which would functionally replace that handler.

5 hours ago, Jacques said:

I'll search for TTD.SYS

I have found it. It does not work (at least under the emulation).

6 hours ago, drac030 said:

So it might be similiar or even the same as TOMS.SYS  (TOMS Turbo) driver I found elsewhere, that didn't work too. TTD can stand for Toms Turbo Drive, I guess(?)

Edited by Jacques

On 8/17/2020 at 3:58 PM, drac030 said:

Yes, I know.

As you certainly realize, the point is to provide a (relocatable) *.SYS driver which would functionally replace that handler.

Please do that driver in way that it is on way that supports other connected drive types and turns on turbo only for selected drives numbers.

Something that Hias wrote about original 1050 Turbo driver. Will try to find that topic and paste link to it here.

And so on...

Edited by lemiel
Typo autotype on phone.

We already have something that trub says work on real hardware. But on Altirra's generic emulation (File -> Disk drives -> 1050 Turbo) it does not, and I do not have the required firmware image to setup the exact emulation. So nothing to download this time, until we are sure where the problem (visible under the said emulation) is.

• Like 1

On 8/19/2020 at 9:07 AM, drac030 said:

I do not have the required firmware image to setup the exact emulation.

I just dumped the 2764 EPROM from my Turbo 1050 replica. Attached.

A quick test in Altirra 3.90-test10 worked with "1050 Turbo II disk drive (full emulation)"

It did not work when selecting "1050 Turbo" - had to be "1050 Turbo II" - I wonder the difference?

Turbo_1050_1988_B_Engl.BIN

• Thanks 1