IGNORED

SpartaDOS X 4.49 (release version)

drac030

3 hours ago, _The Doctor__ said:

what do you mean eject config disk, a disk in slot 1 of fn for sdx config? or the fujinet configuration util in a slot or?

The preferred methods being,

SDX

pull from cart for SDX support stuff

pull from D1: SDX support stuff

pull from assigned Dx: support stuff

the Fujinet still can be configged by web interface or other program etc. last I knew...

could be interesting... maybe it really is time I buy another Fujinet of the latest revision, perhaps it's ready now.

actuallly i fixed that in FN firmware.
after conversation fith fujinet team, 
see PR https://github.com/FujiNetWIFI/fujinet-platformio/pull/458
so with general/status_wait=0
SDX is working with autorun.atr (internal) fine.
it's just little odd how SDX is detecting disks on the SIO bus.
later will put switch on fujinet web iface to switch that functionality off/on ;)

the challenge was that when no disk mounted, and config enabled, fn seem to wait for other devices to talk, to check if there is no other DF1: handling device.
way how SDX starts read from disks differ from other OSes.
other send sio_status commands multiple times.
SDX start reading without checking disk status.
i altered Fujinet to fix that issue.
we can Close Case

Edited by ninex
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Peter Rabitt said:

How do you get and use SDX if you don't have any of the fancy external add-on's????

I have Fuji net and a sdrive but I do not see them on your web site (github.com).

I have the OLD SD cartage and it works find but would like to update the DOS..

Peter

You may upgrade the old cartridge. http://sdx.atari8.info/index.php?show=en_hardware

Leads to:

Yes I did read that but I would like to keep the cart. as is... I was just thinking it would load from a SD drive or disk, just as well as from the new MYide, side, etc. I do not want to buy them just to run SDX...I guess this is the way "they" make you buy the new upgrades!!!

Not complaining but just think it would be nice to also have the SDX for us who can not buy the latest fancy add on...

Peter

7 hours ago, Peter Rabitt said:

Thank You for the answer... I will look for a cart PCB to add the new EEROM to or a rom card or ??? Then I need to figure out how to program it,n the maybe I will have a copy to run for me...

Thanks again...

Peter

You must set the banking properly. You can't directly put 512K into 16K address range.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Peter Rabitt said:

Thank You for the answer... I will look for a cart PCB to add the new EEROM to or a rom card or ??? Then I need to figure out how to program it,n the maybe I will have a copy to run for me...

Thanks again...

Peter

AtariMax sells carts you can install the new versions of SDX on.  (Plus, the 8Mb cart is also good for Space Harrier).

https://atarimax.com/flashcart/documentation/

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Peter Rabitt said:

Yes I did read that but I would like to keep the cart. as is... I was just thinking it would load from a SD drive or disk, just as well as from the new MYide, side, etc. I do not want to buy them just to run SDX...I guess this is the way "they" make you buy the new upgrades!!!

Not complaining but just think it would be nice to also have the SDX for us who can not buy the latest fancy add on...

SDX is more than a simple DOS and needs quite some more resources than available in the Atari.

For a pure cartridge based solution I recommend: https://www.bitsofthepast.com/?product=super-spartados-pcb

It is the closest match to the use and behaviour of the original SDX cartridge from ICD.

Want to look at SDX just to see?  I recommend Altirra for this purpose.

It will help to decide if the free available SDX is worth buying a decent hardware base.

Altirra works well even on a Linux based pc.

My real XL SDX setup is mirrored in Altirra to check new developments in advance to avoid surprises.

Thank You for the answer...

I looked at the SuperSpartaDosX cart and the case and I feel that I may buy into it...

I do have a question I did not find the answer on the web site...How do you UPDATE the rom? when the next update comes out...I said it was a 4.49 I think but I have seem  c or d rev.

It appears that the cart does not use a 40 pin type chip... Most of the external programmers I have seem have "pin" type sockets not surface type.

THANKS for all the help, not that this is a game changes but mostly a question for knowledge...

Peter

P.S. Back to fixing the 800xl and now the 3 1050 drives. Yea the drives are not responding to the computer.

1 hour ago, Peter Rabitt said:

Thank You for the answer...

I looked at the SuperSpartaDosX cart and the case and I feel that I may buy into it...

I do have a question I did not find the answer on the web site...How do you UPDATE the rom? when the next update comes out...I said it was a 4.49 I think but I have seem  c or d rev.

It appears that the cart does not use a 40 pin type chip... Most of the external programmers I have seem have "pin" type sockets not surface type.

THANKS for all the help, not that this is a game changes but mostly a question for knowledge...

Peter

P.S. Back to fixing the 800xl and now the 3 1050 drives. Yea the drives are not responding to the computer.

There is a flashing program that updates it while it's in the Atari itself, run the program and wait for it to got through it's paces

9 hours ago, Peter Rabitt said:

Peter

Obviously, for many regular readers/users it is too obvious, but not clear to new (old) users.

And it triggers the idea to include some paragraphs about it in the next manual. It may help as well on deciding what items to acquire for SDX usage.

Good luck with fixing ...

10 hours ago, GoodByteXL said:

Obviously, for many regular readers/users it is too obvious, but not clear to new (old) users.

Yes I have been fighting this for about a year....New words and phrases that can not be uncovered but I still try...

Working on the 800xl and drives...Found many Ideas for help..

Wrong thread but just to say I also belong to a BBQ forum and they have a built-in dictionary.. Work great for first timers...

Peter

49 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

SDX has among the best organised documentation of any A8 product, with table of contents, index, glossary, etc, all searchable. Unfortunately the manual has yet to be invented which reads itself for you, however. :)

Charlton Heston narrates... SpartaDOS X... an audio book!

Edited by _The Doctor__
  • Haha 1

Apparently you though I was talking about SDX, well I have the original cart. ran it on MY BBS for 4 years so I know most of how it works (the old version)...

I was talking about in general the aberrations everyone throws around, does not always mean that every one else knows... I have tried to figure out most by guessing and most of the time I am wrong , I lived in a different electronics world than most of the Atarites.. So I was not talking about SDX but in general terms...

Sorry

Peter

Thanks for the thread..Very interesting... The first post was all we needed but did have other questions answered but not tech type...I am or would like to be a tech. type so I can look into the mobrd and fix...I have fixed 3 Atari's now hopefully for good. A 600xl and added a memory upgrade, two 800xl's one with a bad delay line and the second with a bad delay line and a bad solder joint on the output of the gtia...

Going after 3 1050 soon as I get some more part together..

Peter

OK I have scanned over the 300 plus pages in the SDX manual and find a lot of stuff interesting...Also looking thru the thread you all sent me to I did find answers to many question...

Now I have one that may not be in the information on this board or maybe it is but I have not asked the right question in the search box...

The question is: As I remember My BBS ran on a Atari 800XL with 256k memory. That was the basic program ran.. it controlled a ATR 8000 and a few other things like an 850 interface and 3 or 4 5meg bite hard drives... Yea a lot of storage HAHAHA and why the question I am asking is because the ATR ran CP/M all the files where in CP/M maybe...

Is there any way using the Atari and maybe SDX (or any other dos) to see if the 5.25 disks (lots of them) back ups are in CP/M I know I will have to complete the rebuild to read and see if any of the files are any good but just to spear me on it would be good to know. There maybe files that have not surface yet as the BBS became a pirate board because everyone wanted to share the files and I did not check out the files  to see if they where OK. I am not a gamer just had the BBS for fun... Lots of $$$ went into it.

OK enough history, any help...

Peter

40 minutes ago, Peter Rabitt said:

OK I have scanned over the 300 plus pages in the SDX manual and find a lot of stuff interesting...Also looking thru the thread you all sent me to I did find answers to many question...

Now I have one that may not be in the information on this board or maybe it is but I have not asked the right question in the search box...

The question is: As I remember My BBS ran on a Atari 800XL with 256k memory. That was the basic program ran.. it controlled a ATR 8000 and a few other things like an 850 interface and 3 or 4 5meg bite hard drives... Yea a lot of storage HAHAHA and why the question I am asking is because the ATR ran CP/M all the files where in CP/M maybe...

Is there any way using the Atari and maybe SDX (or any other dos) to see if the 5.25 disks (lots of them) back ups are in CP/M I know I will have to complete the rebuild to read and see if any of the files are any good but just to spear me on it would be good to know. There maybe files that have not surface yet as the BBS became a pirate board because everyone wanted to share the files and I did not check out the files  to see if they where OK. I am not a gamer just had the BBS for fun... Lots of $$$ went into it.

OK enough history, any help...

Peter

SDX does in fact have a (read-only) CP/M driver.  Somewhere in your config file (or even from the command line), execute CPM.SYS (I believe this is found on the various toolkit ATRs).  You can then use that to test for CP/M disks (whether on a real floppy, or even a PC mounted ATR).

• Like 3

Supper, I will test this today later on...I have other things to do before I can "play" with my Atari!!

Peter

Edit: I just looked thru the tools for SDX and only found a CP/M tool for the Indus drive, I only have a 1050 working...

DRIVERS>CPMFS.ARC
-----------------
A driver to read Indus CP/M disks.

Edited by Peter Rabitt
update