IGNORED

7iX [WIP]

Pat Brady

Starting a new thread here as I am now working on this (as allowed by my other responsibilities of course).

I hoped to do a 124x96 or maybe 128x96 playfield with each game pixel being 2 lines tall. Both the total area and the pixels would be fairly close to square. The 7800 has enough RAM to store the information, but alas, I don’t think I can coerce MARIA to repeat raster lines.

It’s going to be tight but I think I can do 96x150. The total area will still be nearly square visually but the pixels will be very horizontal (like many 7800 games). I think it will be okay if I limit objects’ horizontal speed. This might be better than the earlier idea anyway.

For comparison the 5200 port’s playfield is 124x82. Pixels are squarish but the total area is horizontal. I’m not sure of the arcade version’s exact resolution but it must be over 200 in both dimensions.

EDIT (2022.3.9): I understand MARIA much better than when I first wrote this post. Current version has 191x171 resolution.

Latest version:

7iX-2022-03-05.a78

7iX-2022-03-05-128k.a78

Spoiler

EDIT: This version does not work on hardware. Hopefully the next snapshot will.

7ix-2020-06-25-A.a78 7ix-2020-06-25-A.bin

• Like 8

Will sound be TIA or POKEY?

If POKEY, I got a technique for getting the Qix hum ...

16-bit on 0 and 1, store a low F#1 frequency in the second and first channels, then randomly fade the volumes between the two channels to get that random vibration.

If you are using 7800basic I will do up some code for you.

Edited by Synthpopalooza
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, The Usotsuki said:

According to MAME, QIX runs at 256x256.  You could probably move the score to the side.

Interesting. arcade-museum.com says it’s standard resolution which it defines as 240x336. But that’s the same ballpark.

Work is coming along. Sometimes I think wow, the 7800 is really well suited for this. Other times I think wow, the 7800 is really NOT well suited for this. But overall I’m pretty optimistic.

• Like 3

I tried doing a bin export, but it doesn't sound very good. Some instruments are completely missing and the song kinda corrupts itself after the first playthrough. Maybe one of you guys can help me with this? I also provided the assembly files, if anything can be done with those.

Qix.bin Qix_init.asm Qix_player.asm Qix_player_framework.asm Qix_trackdata.asm Qix_variables.asm

Hi,

So you downloaded the source for the player itself which gives an example of setting up the music to play in batari Basic and 7800basic.  Following the instructions at the bottom of the post (on the forum here) you export the track to dasm format which will replace the sample ones provided and manually remove to variables from the source. From there you compile up with 7800basic and off you go.

I did an export as well but somewhere in the track export there is a mis-configuration which is providing numbers greater than 255 which is not possible to compile. I've max'd those to $ff (255) - see track_trackdata.asm for notes (around lines 272).

Anyway, see attached - it's compiled up for the 2600 and 7800 and the source is included ?

Sounds good! Hope that helps!

QIX.TIATrackerPlayer.zip

• Like 4

Thank you for doing an export. I tried doing exactly what you told me, but it still only plays the demo tune. So, I'm still lost on that, but I appreciate your help. I believe the problem was that I used more instruments than TIATracker allows you to use. So, I cleaned up the original project file and also properly formatted it for NTSC. Hope this makes for a better export.

Qix.ttt

No probs - it's a little tricky to setup unfortunately but its a really good tracker program. Would love to be able to get it to play multiple tracks but that's beyond my abilities!

Happy to help again if you need it.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2020 at 10:40 PM, The Usotsuki said:

According to MAME, QIX runs at 256x256.  You could probably move the score to the side.

On 4/9/2020 at 11:18 AM, bizarrostormy said:

Interesting. arcade-museum.com says it’s standard resolution which it defines as 240x336. But that’s the same ballpark.

Work is coming along. Sometimes I think wow, the 7800 is really well suited for this. Other times I think wow, the 7800 is really NOT well suited for this. But overall I’m pretty optimistic.

The raw output from MAME for the entire screen is 256x256.  However, when that raw output is isolated for just the playfield, the result is 223x199, without a border; rounding even, ~224x200.

256x256:

373445703_Qix-EntireScreen.png.6cb276976788b02c317bb9e4ad1c8207.png 

~224x200:

1469722527_QixPlayfield.png.fbb0d5627e8d6b224b9db7b4add82208.png

The above images do not account for nor adjust to Aspect Ratio (The Arcade is a vertical game 3:4).

The one I played a lot BITD, is an unofficial port (AKA Stix), by A. Trott, on the C64:

Qix.gif.6cc8060761a10643889e8562db59fae3.gif

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Trebor said:

The raw output from MAME for the entire screen is 256x256.  However, when that raw output is isolated for just the playfield, the result is 223x199, without a border; rounding even, ~224x200.

Thank you for determining this. I had assumed that the arcade playfield was less than 1:1 because it’s on a 3:4 screen, the score display is less than 1/4 of the total height, and the horizontal lines look about as thick as the vertical lines. I guess I was wrong about line thickness. (It wouldn’t take much to go from slightly less than 1:1 to slightly more.)

It’s been several decades since I played it on actual arcade hardware.

I think I have figured out how to fit everything into 4K to please MARIA, and without using exorbitant ROM. Whether SALLY can keep up remains to be seen. I have started coding but don’t have anything to show yet.

Edited by bizarrostormy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, The Usotsuki said:

The NES seems to be able to pull it off, but that's quite different.

Yeah, it’s hard to compare, especially without knowing how much cart RAM it uses.

I am fairly optimistic SALLY will be up to the task without requiring big compromises. I just don’t know yet.

• Like 1