IGNORED

Dorsett Educational & Atari Talk & Teach Files and Ult. Cart

gilsaluki

I am thinking of getting an Ultimate Cart.   Does anyone know if the Dorsett Series of courses, and or the Atari versions are dumped to the net?  Can they be executed using the Ultimate Cart?  Does the audio track work with the dumped files?  I am really into the educational programs for the Atari.  I have nine of the original Talk & Teach cassettes programs.  I would like take the other courses.  However, they are going for way too much on eBay these days.

I will test the Dorsett cart in my ultimate but I am sure it will work, but you won't get the audio unless you use real cassette as data is recorded on the right track while audio on the left. I am in the process of making and testing all the dorrset courses.  If it works I will be offering sets of cassettes for sale using professional maxell cassettes.

• Like 1

I took all the Invitation to Programming courses last year (emulated).  Shortly after that I was hired as a python developer. 

Coincidence?

(actually, yes.  yes it was)

Edited by Fres
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

The courses would be useless without the audio.  The narration actually does the teaching.  I would be interested in purchasing tape copies of the courses, especially Dorsett's Industrial/vocational series (Digital electronics and such).  I just did Basic Electricity course.  It was a good refresher for me. I did learn a few new things.  Good narration.  The good thing is, you can go at your own pace with the course.  It would be nice if someone could develop a way to emulate the narration track. As I said, the actual courses for sale on ebay are stupidly priced.

wasn't there a site with picture of all of the cassettes (a large wall of them and all of the data/sound) all the different releases by more than one possibly two publishers.... hey that wiki one is close!

Edited by _The Doctor__

So, I am guessing we can download the files (which particular one bewilders me) from https://archive.org/search.php?query=creator%3A"Dorsett+Educational+Systems, then I can see the screens and hear the audio, just like I would with the actual physical cassette?   I would like to put them on my Ultimate Cart then enjoy them from there.  Has anyone actually used these dumped cassette files and satisfactorily viewed and listened to those courses on a real Atari computer?  Big project that someone did; it'd be a shame if no one took advantage of all that work.

@gilsaluki & jamm & videofx: first, have a seat, calm down and watch:

then thank tschak909, Kevin Savetz and Prof. Michael Current for their hard work! They sacrificed a whole summer to digitized all the tapes and not just them!

https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Dorsett+Educational+System+Lesson+Cassettes

As you can see in the picture in the above link. And you can believe me, the summers in Texas are really hot!

The whole community is in debt for lifetime for these hard working Atari users!

I have made an own chapter in the Wiki for tapes with voices:

https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Articles#section-Articles-VoiceAndDataCassettes

When bringing to cart, you have to use a wav file or flac file. Phaeron has already solved this in his outstanding emulator Altirra.

@The Doctor: yes, from the main entry link:

https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Atari Educational System Lesson Cassettes

you can go to each course, please scroll down and see the pictures starting with course CX6001:

https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=U.S. History CX6001

There are also complete finished courses on Youtube.

@tschak909: regarding FujiNet: you see, what I mean with Calculator and so on, how long it takes, until the people get the point? But they have to find out on their own, otherwise the next steps can't work...

@all: please stay healty

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@gilsaluki & jamm & videofx: If you can find the things below, we then are in your debt, of course... ;-)

---

Desperate call for help on missing Dorsett tapes

Some tapes had severe damage and therefore couldn't be digitized. If anyone is in the possession of the following tapes, please give us a message or a post hereout.png. We really need your help and appreciate just any hint on the programs, who seem to be lost in time, like tears in rain.

The left ones to digitize are as follows:

- General Shop Practices:

Oa1 Tool Identification Lesson, Part 1
Oa7 Discussion of a Two-Cycle Engine
Oa8 Use of Micrometers and Calipers

- Health Services Career:

Hc5 Medical History
Hc6 Extended Care

- Physics:

Ph16 Theory of Relativity

Well, concerning Physics, we may can restore Ph16 from the Atari-Version of that course, Physics CX6008? Just loud thinking...

Source: https://atariwiki.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=Rarity 10

• Like 1

what do you mean... an emulator does not NEED to be used, take a tape and record the wav / data to it....

put the tape in the Atari data cassette player.... load the dorsette cart...  follow the directions from there... this is not expert only stuff

• Like 1

Maybe gilsaluki has something superior in mind: bringing the wav file on a cart so no loading noise and the program is there instantaneously? Good idea gilsaluki, thank you. Will keep this in mind, but preservation is still #1 priority for me. Those projects can be done at any time.

To even increase this: what about Dorsett via FujiNet? Big sorry, sometimes, I have really crazy ideas... ;-)

gilsaluki no, we thank you for starting this again! Please don't missunderstand! A big boost will come in the next decade, when the baby boomers retire and have time(!) for Atari. This is the most reason for lack of knowledge. So not your fault! You are welcome, please go ahead and please make further posts. Thank you.

22 hours ago, gilsaluki said:

Download the wav file to the computer, then record to a blank tape.  Then play it?  That would be okay.  I have a 1010 and XC-12, and the original Dorsett cart.  I hope that will work.  CSAVE?

This basically is the way to go, except not with any of the Atari tape recorders. You cannot put the WAV onto your Ultimate Card.

1. Connect a good old audio(!) stereo(!) tape deck's line IN to the line OUT of your PC.
    Stereo is very important because one track holds the digital data and the other one the audible audio. If these are mixed into a mono track it will not work.
  2. "Play" the WAV on your PC using your favorite audio player and record it with your tape drive. Just like BITD when you copied a tape from one tape deck to the other.
  3. Copy a CAR-Image of the Atari Education Cartridge onto your Ultimate.
  4. Insert the recorded tape in your Atari tape drive and select the Education Cartridge in your Ultimate.
  5. Boot your Atari.