IGNORED

Dorsett Educational & Atari Talk & Teach Files and Ult. Cart

gilsaluki

3 hours ago, luckybuck said:

Maybe gilsaluki has something superior in mind: bringing the wav file on a cart so no loading noise and the program is there instantaneously? Good idea gilsaluki, thank you. Will keep this in mind, but preservation is still #1 priority for me. Those projects can be done at any time.

To even increase this: what about Dorsett via FujiNet? Big sorry, sometimes, I have really crazy ideas... ;-)

Actually, this is a target use case for FujiNet. The device has a pair of 8-bit DACs on it, one of them is wired to the AUDIOIN port, and of course, the device has full control of the other pins on the SIO bus (MOTOR, COMMAND, DATAIN, etc.), and I do intend on finding a way to stream audio data to the FujiNet in a way that will work. This will take some serious work, because it isn't feasible to store the entire tape image onto the device, and there is only a limited (320KiB) amount of RAM. (not talking about the flash storage, which must be used for storing firmware code)

-Thom

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gilsaluki said:

So, an emulator has to be used.  Way over my skills, head. (I once, long ago tried to download/use an emulator...it was just frustration). Oh well.  Everyone here assumes everyone has their advanced abilities.  That is what is frustrating.  

Altirra is very simple.    You basically download the emulator and OS rom image(s) and tell it how much memory you want.  Tell it what to load, and you are rocking and rolling.  Once you are comfortable with it, you can do almost anything you can do on a real Atari.

6 hours ago, DjayBee said:

This basically is the way to go, except not with any of the Atari tape recorders. You cannot put the WAV onto your Ultimate Card.

1. Connect a good old audio(!) stereo(!) tape deck's line IN to the line OUT of your PC.
    Stereo is very important because one track holds the digital data and the other one the audible audio. If these are mixed into a mono track it will not work.
  2. "Play" the WAV on your PC using your favorite audio player and record it with your tape drive. Just like BITD when you copied a tape from one tape deck to the other.
  3. Copy a CAR-Image of the Atari Education Cartridge onto your Ultimate.
  4. Insert the recorded tape in your Atari tape drive and select the Education Cartridge in your Ultimate.
  5. Boot your Atari.

Thank you SOOOO much sir. I really am only a novice user or real Atari equip. (Carts, disks, tapes).  I really don't understand a lot of this stuff.  I just got a new All-In-One Dell Computer and I don't know if it has two outputs for audio, one for the sound track, one for the data.  At any rate, I understand now the concept.  Stereo recording.  One for the narration/sound; one for the data.  Make perfect sense now.  All the references the others have mentioned, I have been to.  What is often needed is a Step-by-step procedure (an Idiot's Guide) for using some of these things.  A lot is assumed by the people who are way more advanced than the average user, like me.  So, I fear, these gems will not be used by many.  And as one said, a lot of work went into digitizing them.  I guess they are there.  

• 1 year later...

It occurred to me that I have a bluetooth cassette in my car that I use to listen to music from my phone.  If you put one of these into an Atari program recorder, could you stream a recorded flac file to the cassette, then Atari without recording to actual tape?  I don't have a program recorder at the moment, but I had been thinking about getting another one at some point.

37 minutes ago, Fres said:

It occurred to me that I have a bluetooth cassette in my car that I use to listen to music from my phone.  If you put one of these into an Atari program recorder, could you stream a recorded flac file to the cassette, then Atari without recording to actual tape?  I don't have a program recorder at the moment, but I had been thinking about getting another one at some point.

Yes - that would work fine.

• Like 1