IGNORED

What memory cartridge is best?

BillO

So I got my hands on a TI-99/4A in great shape for just $25.  I treated it to a CF7+.  So far all is good, but it seems you can't do much with it or run a lot of useful software without having access to EA and or Extended BASIC.  I don't want to collect a ton of cartridges and would like an option where I can load up what I need and re-configure as required.  Most of my activity will center around writing my own code to experiment with both software and with hardware I design myself.  Given all that, what one configurable cartridge is the best to get?

So far I have heard of:

Mini-Memory

FinalGROM

FlashROM

Which of these would offer the most flexibility and features?  For instance will the FinalGROM do everything the FlashROM and Mini-Memory will do, plus more?

Or is there another option?

Or is seeking a single cartridge solution not feasible?

Thanks in advance for any replies, and pleas excuse me if this seems a tad remedial.  I'm new to TI-99/4A (and quite surprised how limited the stock machine is, especially TI BASIC).

• Like 1

Yes, the FinalGROM would be a super-set of the cartridges, so to speak.  The FinalGROM will load all cartridge images available (ROM and GROM) from SD, the FlashROM will only load up to 32k ROMs, while the MiniMemory is a programming utility with 4k RAM on-board.  The MiniMemory's functionality is emulated by the FinalGROM with the appropriate cartridge image.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DavidC said:

I have a question.  Does the FinalGrom negate the need for a nanoPEB or can they both be used at the same time? Do they get along with each other?

They do get along great together.  The Nano-PEB has 32K which MANY of the FinalGROM programs need.  If one was just going to play games, 32K and a FinalGROM could suit the needs of many people... BUT, if you are going to do any programming and have need of data storage, yes, the Nano-PEB holds up that end of things.

If I was just starting out, I would purchase one of the JediMatt42 32K side-car memory expansions or one of the newer 1024K versions to go with the FinalGROM.  Later you could add a TIPI and Raspberry Pi for a whole lot of extra options/capability.  While the Nano-PEB is much less expensive overall, it locks one into a limited growth potential.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just placed my order with ArcadeShopper.  I am looking forward to this!  No more constantly switching out carts.  Save the wear and tear on the cartridge port.  As long as it runs RXB and or XB2.7 or GEM when it is finished, I will be more than happy!

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, BillO said:

So I ordered a FianlGROM from The Brewing Academy a week ago and they have not yet shipped it.  Is this typical of the service there?

no idea, but most of us that do retro stuff do it outside of our regular jobs and shipments can be delayed by the current situation in the world..  I know I process orders for my store mostly on Friday/Saturday due to my day job keeping me pretty busy.

I'd cut him some slack, and if you are still concerned maybe email HIM with a polite message requesting status and see what to set your expectations at.   If he's not responding to your emails send me a PM as I talk to him all the time and I can see if I can help.

Greg 

Woot! Get that 32k/Disk option and you'll be set.

With my traditional PEB setup, I'm able via the 32k, RS232 and three-floppy drives to run pretty much everything I do using just my SXB cart. Plenty of E/A loaders and cartridge clones in dsk to cover that end using XB. Once in awhile I'll pop in a game, MiniMem or TEII.

If I used the real iron more instead of in emulation, I'd pop for a Lotharek drive over a FinalGROM or nanoPEB/CF7. If I didn't already have two PEBs, I'd no doubt take your path.

1 hour ago, Ed in SoDak said:

Woot! Get that 32k/Disk option and you'll be set.

I received my CF7 a week ago.  Once the FinalGROM arrives I'll be set for a while.  Then I have an Atari 800XL to get going.

If I can find real metal for any of my systems at reasonable prices I'll go for it.  However, prices seem to be getting out of hand.

1 hour ago, DavidC said:

Awesome!   Mine should be here in a day or so as well!   Can't wait...

Cool.  It will be interesting to see what this machine can really do.  The basic unit is almost useless, yet very easy on the eye (I'm a gearhead).  I don't know what TI were thinking with their base BASIC and the limited RAM.  I guess it was meant to be a teaser so you'd part with more money to get the stuff needed to make it useful.

2 hours ago, BillO said:

Cool.  It will be interesting to see what this machine can really do.  The basic unit is almost useless, yet very easy on the eye (I'm a gearhead).  I don't know what TI were thinking with their base BASIC and the limited RAM.  I guess it was meant to be a teaser so you'd part with more money to get the stuff needed to make it useful.

With the CF7 and the FinalGrom you will be surprised at what this machine can do.  Especially with the geniuses on this forum.  It truly is amazing.   

2 hours ago, DuaneAL said:

I can run RXB but I am not aware of how to run XB2.7 on the FG.

Xb2.7 suite won't fit in the fg..so you have to run each module individually  there's an XB2.6 image which is pretty much identical to 2.7 (2.7 really is just the suite + calls for the various rom/grom programs) 

2 hours ago, DuaneAL said:

Thanks! Hard to imagine it not fitting! ? The FG seems huge.

rom-wise it is, but grom-wise it is not as large as the ubergrom

from github:

An image for the FinalGROM 99 may contain up to 1024 KB of ROM code only, or 40 KB of GROM code plus 960 KB of ROM code. You can also configure the cartridge to provide RAM and GRAM instead of ROM and GROM, respectively.

Note that the FinalGROM 99 responds to all GROM bases, so it can support up to 64 KB of GROM, of which only the upper 40 KB (GROMs 3-7) are usable.

while ubergrom:

Tursi provided code to allow the AVR to be used as 128K of GROM memory space, using up to 16 GROM bases. The combination of these feature changes now allows the board to be used to replicate older ROM/GROM cartridges using 6K or 8K GROMs, with the exception of MBX cartridges, as those would require some additional logic to add 1K of RAM to the board. It is now possible to play some of the unreleased TI titles from a cartridge, as they were originally designed to be used, instead of from disk.  also 512k of ROM space is provided via the flash rom socket

just a bit more :)

Greg