IGNORED

RetroTink 2X Pro: Fantastic!

tschak909

2 minutes ago, MrFish said:

I think Atarimania displays screenshots like that because they mimic what's seen in Europe -- which is where the owner's of the site are from.

To be honest, I find it annoying too, as the programs aren't being shown as intended by the authors. The other thing I don't like seeing is all the NTSC programs in PAL colors. They really should have them posted as they're intended too.

For sure.  Sounds like a project for the Yanks to fix?  :P

On 10/28/2020 at 8:44 PM, ZuluGula said:

Any opinions on Bitfunx RetroScaler2X http://www.bitfunx.com/product/retroscaler2x-a-v-to-hdmi-converter-and-line-doubler-for-retro-game-consoles/

Is it a clone, any differences? 

I got this one a few weeks ago and I am happy with it! Only the signal coming from my 800XE is not the best so I also ordered UAV and will have it installed by a friend.

• 3 months later...

So due to a friend getting me the Star Wars trilogy on LaserDisc... I've ordered a LD player, and now am thinking I'm going to try it out on the RetroTink!  It should be showing up tomorrow, so hopefully I'll have some time to hook it up and test it out and report back.  Just because why not?

• 3 weeks later...

retrotink.thumb.jpg.8da9972cb845e54e7e8bdde9e2dc5c30.jpg

I just received the unit today, and hooked it up to my Atari800.

My system: 800 + uav output to a S video+ Incognito and nothing else.

I was stunned with the quality of the upscaler RetroTink 2x Pro. Not only it gives me a very smart image, and smooth out the fonts (see in picture).

I use soft RC_Gr8.sys with Con 80 to get the 80 columns. With this device, who needs a Sophia or VBXE?

What do you think?

very nice... VBXE does some more colors and what not as it is actually a video chip level upgrade.

some of it's highlights in the beginning were

RGB output providing crisp clear picture using LCD TV or RGB monitor

Up to 1024 colors on screen from 21 bit palette

Graphics resolution up to 640x480i (640x240p) in 64 colours, 320x240p in 1024 colours, and 160x240p in 1024 ???

True 80 char mode for text display

Blitter with 7 modes of operations capable of zooming displayed data, transparancy, collision detection and many other features

Full downward compatible with GTIA chip

there was more but that's how it starts out

Edited by _The Doctor__

1 hour ago, _The Doctor__ said:

very nice... VBXE does some more colors and what not as it is actually a video chip level upgrade.

some of it's highlights in the beginning were

RGB output providing crisp clear picture using LCD TV or RGB monitor

Up to 1024 colors on screen from 21 bit palette

Graphics resolution up to 640x480i (640x240p) in 64 colours, 320x240p in 1024 colours, and 160x240p in 1024 ???

True 80 char mode for text display

Blitter with 7 modes of operations capable of zooming displayed data, transparancy, collision detection and many other features

Full downward compatible with GTIA chip

there was more but that's how it starts out

True, VBXE and Sophia have more capabiities. However from what I have seen so far the fonts are still blocky even with high resolution. Can they generate better fonts? I don't know what RetroTink does, but you can see the fonts are fantastic, very sharp and smooth.

6 minutes ago, CMinus said:

True, VBXE and Sophia have more capabiities. However from what I have seen so far the fonts are still blocky even with high resolution. Can they generate better fonts? I don't know what RetroTink does, but you can see the fonts are fantastic, very sharp and smooth.

With Sophia, you don't get better resolution, just a digital image.  With VBXE - the fonts are MUCH better, as in 80 column mode you have true 8*8 fonts (640 pixel resolution) as well as the ability to have 256 character fonts, full colour, etc.  There is nothing at all blocky about the VBXE 80 column mode.  The software 80 column modes do look great, especially with the Sophia or a nice upscaler.  But VBXE is a whole different level.

This is very evident when using a good CRT (especially as VBXE is RGB - it gets no better on a CRT).

That's one of the features of the retrotink. It "smooths the squares". It is all personal preference, I prefer the square pixels. For me those kind of triangles look weird. 

And I agree, retrotink is fantastic. I use it with PS1 and a light sixer Atari 2600 with UAV, and the image quality is wonderful in a LED big screen of the living room. 

• Like 1

I agree with @manterola. While the RetroTink does put out a beautiful image, I don't care for font smoothing "features". I prefer my Atari fonts to look like Atari fonts, just a sharper, clearer image overall. I'm sure that's a feature you can turn on or off though, right?

@CMinus, those are beautiful images. There's definitely nothing to be displeased about. I'd definitely be happy with my purchase if I were you.

Edited by bfollowell
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

I agree with @manterola. While the RetroTink does put out a beautiful image, I don't care for font smoothing "features". I prefer my Atari fonts to look like Atari fonts, just a sharper, clearer image overall. I'm sure that's a feature you can turn on or off though, right?

@CMinus, those are beautiful images. There's definitely nothing to be displeased about. I'd definitely be happy with my purchase if I were you.

Yes.

-Thom

• Like 1

1 hour ago, manterola said:

That's one of the features of the retrotink. It "smooths the squares". It is all personal preference, I prefer the square pixels. For me those kind of triangles look weird. 

43 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

Yes, you can disable that “feature.”

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I have been successfully using RetroTink Pro with both Atari 800 and 130Xe via s-video. However, I have just got Atari 600xl and will be using stock composite (PAL version). I just wanted to check if somebody is using stock composite on 600xl (or maybe 800xl) and what are the results? Then, which setting for COMB are you using (Retro or Auto)? Thanks!

3 hours ago, mikesk8 said:

I have been successfully using RetroTink Pro with both Atari 800 and 130Xe via s-video. However, I have just got Atari 600xl and will be using stock composite (PAL version). I just wanted to check if somebody is using stock composite on 600xl (or maybe 800xl) and what are the results? Then, which setting for COMB are you using (Retro or Auto)? Thanks!

It'll be just as crappy as ever, since the RetroTink can't clean up a poor video signal. But it will give you artifacting to support that alternative method of getting color on screen. However to better answer the question, it does convert the composite to HDMI, and won't look any worse than piping it in through a composite input on a TV, although maybe not as good as using an original CRT.

EDIT: Correction, I don't really know if RetroTink will actually give you artifacted colors via HDMI, perhaps someone else can chime in to verify. Technically this is usually relegated to old analog TVs and would need to be simulated when converting to digital video, which I'm not sure if the RetroTink does this.

Edited by mytek
Uncertain if Arifacting works

1 hour ago, mytek said:

It'll be just as crappy as ever, since the RetroTink can't clean up a poor video signal. But it will give you artifacting to support that alternative method of getting color on screen. However to better answer the question, it does convert the composite to HDMI, and won't look any worse than piping it in through a composite input on a TV, although maybe not as good as using an original CRT.

EDIT: Correction, I don't really know if RetroTink will actually give you artifacted colors via HDMI, perhaps someone else can chime in to verify. Technically this is usually relegated to old analog TVs and would need to be simulated when converting to digital video, which I'm not sure if the RetroTink does this.

Thank you. Do you have experience with COMB setting on RetroTink? Is there any difference in this case. 

1 hour ago, mytek said:

Artifacting does indeed work, if the source is from composite.

-Thom

• Like 1

On 2/11/2021 at 6:07 PM, _The Doctor__ said:

um didn't some laser disk players support RGB out?

Due to the technology used in laserdisc, there is little to no benefit of any output beyond composite.  S-video might offer a slightly better picture due to the chroma and luma not being mixed on the way to the TV/upscaler/etc.  But from everything I have read, laserdisc players with svideo output are actually breaking a mixed signal in the player back down into chroma/luma. 

My old 1080p plasma does a pretty good job on composite inputs.... it surprises me what it can do with laserdisc.  I even chain the NTSC through the composite input on the VCR :-).

On 8/20/2021 at 5:19 PM, mytek said:

I get nice artifacting colours from my NTSC 576NUC+ using composite on the RetroTink 2X Pro ?

• Thanks 1