IGNORED

classic99 questions

dhe

Ok running latest version of Classic99 and lock ups are driving me crazy!

Running Windows 10, only virus software is Microsoft Defender.

Motherboard is a Asus 570X (made 2018)

Running OS on a Sabrent Rocket 4.0 2 TB MD drive (made 2019 March)

Running Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070 Super (made 2018 Jan)

Running 32 Gig of high speed 3900 Mhz RAM (made 2019 December)

All running on a AMD 3950  3.80 Ghz 12 Core that most often with no overclocking runs at 4.1 Ghz. (Made 2020)

So NOT MY COMPUTER as no other app locks up other then TIDIR that also if you leave it on overnight locks up, but Classic99 hardly ever locked up.

Something in latest version seems to lock up way to often. 

It does it consistently using RXB CALL USER("DSK8.BATCH") and the Debugger can not be used.

First sign is the Keyboard stops responding right in middle of file access of USER DV80 file using RXB 2020

I know it is not RXB as if you go back to RXB 2001, 2012, or 2015 all of them do it sometimes now and never used to do this.

Something in this Classic99 version is locking up Keyboard access and Windows 10 says not responding, if you say wait for response sometimes it works.

Most time is just totally locks up.

Now Debugger says it is not doing anything at all and the registers and address are never the same as this takes place pretty randomly.

Any ideas why?

On 4/10/2020 at 1:48 AM, Tursi said:

8k super cart memory is available automatically when you load Editor/Assembler. More isn't supported. MAME has it.

Is this why I can use >6000 to page in SAMS memory with the E/A cartridge?

19 hours ago, Schmitzi said:

So if you go one version back with Classic99, then it works again ?

I went back a year in versions and 2017 Jan version I had did not do it.

So something in the Keyscan routine is causing it of Classic99 I think that has to be it as CALL USER does nothing but scan key from disk DV80 files.

And the lock up is always after it loads a command and wants a keypress.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

I was also going to ask if he copies the same files to another computer, does the same lockup happen.

13 hours ago, InsaneMultitasker said:

I was also going to ask if he copies the same files to another computer, does the same lockup happen.

Yea it does in on my HP Desktop Windows 10 and on my new Asus computer I built. 

DAC Buffer overflow...
DAC Buffer overflow...
DAC Buffer overflow...
DAC Buffer overflow...
DAC Buffer overflow...
DAC Buffer overflow...
DAC Buffer overflow...
DAC Buffer overflow...
DAC Buffer overflow...
DAC Buffer overflow...
DAC Buffer overflow...
DAC Buffer overflow...
DAC Buffer overflow...
DAC Buffer overflow...
DAC Buffer overflow...
DAC Buffer overflow...
DAC Buffer overflow...
DAC Buffer overflow...
DAC Buffer overflow...
DSR opcode >1 (CLOSE) on PAB >100E, filename DSK3.SRXB3
Closing DSK3.SRXB3 on drive type FIAD
Releasing file buffer 36
DSR opcode >1 (CLOSE) on PAB >110E, filename DSK3.ORXB3
Closing DSK3.ORXB3 on drive type FIAD
Flushed .\DSK3\ORXB3 (179 records) as TIFILES FIAD
Releasing file buffer 37
DSR opcode >1 (CLOSE) on PAB >120E, filename DSK3.LRXB3
Closing DSK3.LRXB3 on drive type FIAD
Flushed .\DSK3\LRXB3 (5379 records) as TIFILES FIAD
Releasing file buffer 38
DAC Buffer overflow...
DAC Buffer overflow...
DAC Buffer overflow...

Ok that is a copy of Debugger but nothing is wrong with resulted GPL Assembler output and nothing is wrong with source or listing files, Object loads fine.

WTF is going on to lock up Classic99 for 10 minutes?

Well, I removed the DAC Buffer overflow message, so you aren't on the latest code.

Also, that only happens in overdrive - turn off overdrive and see if it still locks up. It may be a timing slip. That has happened in the past.

If all else fails, use MAME.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tursi said:

um... no. SAMS is different hardware. :)

Understood.  i was told in another topic that I can't page SAMS memory into cartridge space, but it works on Classic99.

I thought perhaps super-cart might have something to do with it... but no. 

1 hour ago, TheBF said:

Understood.  i was told in another topic that I can't page SAMS memory into cartridge space, but it works on Classic99.

I thought perhaps super-cart might have something to do with it... but no. 

Do you mean you can page SAMS memory pages FROM Cartridge space thus changing pages in SAMS.

RXB actually does it that way using GPL instead of ROM or RAM in Cartridge.

14 hours ago, Tursi said:

Well, I removed the DAC Buffer overflow message, so you aren't on the latest code.

Also, that only happens in overdrive - turn off overdrive and see if it still locks up. It may be a timing slip. That has happened in the past.

If all else fails, use MAME.

I was running 399.018 and now 399.022, you must update pretty often.

MAME does not have a easy way to load Windows Notepad Text into GPL Assembler like Classic99 does.

Example is RXB now has a BATCH file for USER that is 108 sectors long for DEMO of USER, that is not even possible in TI99/4A anymore.

Well unless somone comes up with a better Text Editor in TIdom.

Edited by RXB
comment added

35 minutes ago, RXB said:

Do you mean you can page SAMS memory pages FROM Cartridge space thus changing pages in SAMS.

RXB actually does it that way using GPL instead of ROM or RAM in Cartridge.

No—He meant “into” cartridge RAM. Remember that Classic99 starts up with RAM in cartridge space unless and until cartridge ROM is loaded there. The E/A cartridge has no ROM, so there is 8 KiB RAM available at >6000 – >7FFF. That could be used for mapping one or two 4 KiB pages of SAMS RAM.

...lee

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RXB said:

MAME does not have a easy way to load Windows Notepad Text into GPL Assembler like Classic99 does.

Correct, but you can always use TIImageTool and paste the text into a file on the disk image before using it in the emulation. Pasting into the emulation is only one of many ways.

(Just as a hint to anyone who misses a (reliable) paste function in MAME.)

41 minutes ago, Lee Stewart said:

No—He meant “into” cartridge RAM. Remember that Classic99 starts up with RAM in cartridge space unless and until cartridge ROM is loaded there. The E/A cartridge has no ROM, so there is 8 KiB RAM available at >6000 – >7FFF. That could be used for mapping one or two 4 KiB pages of SAMS RAM.

...lee

Ok but that is as far from real iron as it gets.

It's worth noting I didn't write the AMS support... so if it's misbehaving, it's because I didn't check it too deeply, having never owned one. It does look like there may be a bug there...

if (bIsRAM || bIsMappable)

probably should be an AND, not an OR. ;) 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, mizapf said:

Correct, but you can always use TIImageTool and paste the text into a file on the disk image before using it in the emulation. Pasting into the emulation is only one of many ways.

(Just as a hint to anyone who misses a (reliable) paste function in MAME.)

Yeah, well, if you really want multiple steps that also works with Classic99, it's hardly MAME specific. ;)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tursi said:

Yeah, well, if you really want multiple steps that also works with Classic99, it's hardly MAME specific. ;)

No doubt that the paste capability in Classic99 is a really nice feature I'd love to have in MAME, too, but I do not see a simple solution that fits all the emulated systems. I can't do more than refer people to my workaround with TIMT; at least for me, this solved the majority of cases. :)

• Like 3