IGNORED

classic99 questions

dhe

Ok only had Classic99 open and while typing in XB program comment locks up for 10 minutes.

Task Managers say "Classic99 is not responding"

Did not have overdrive engaged and in Windows 10 Task Manager said 3.2 CPU usage?

Does this have to do with now long you use Classic99, seems to happen when I have it open and running over 40 minutes?

Task Manager asks to close or wait for response from App (Classic99) so what is going on?

It should happen again as this happens all day off and on. Now Task Manager says Classic99 is at 1.7 CPU?

Is there a memory leak or what?

Could very well be Windows 10 inability to interface with 32bit apps as millions of people complain about this!

Edited by RXB

8 hours ago, mizapf said:

No doubt that the paste capability in Classic99 is a really nice feature I'd love to have in MAME, too, but I do not see a simple solution that fits all the emulated systems. I can't do more than refer people to my workaround with TIMT; at least for me, this solved the majority of cases. :)

I know, but do you really need to do that in every Classic99 thread? ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RXB said:

Could very well be Windows 10 inability to interface with 32bit apps as millions of people complain about this!

It's not a memory leak, but I've seen hints in the past that the timing thread could slip.

I'll leave my Classic99 up for a while today and see if it reproduces under the debugger. I think last time I tried this it did not reproduce though.

Very strange that you get "not responding", though... the Windows side has its own thread and the emulation thread can't interfere with it.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, mizapf said:

No doubt that the paste capability in Classic99 is a really nice feature I'd love to have in MAME, too, but I do not see a simple solution that fits all the emulated systems. I can't do more than refer people to my workaround with TIMT; at least for me, this solved the majority of cases. :)

To be a little more productive on this comment, I took a look at the MAME source code. It looks like the mechanism for stable pasting is already in place. You need to add a "queue_chars" method to your driver (natural_keyboard::timer() looks for this method, and uses a workaround if m_queue_chars is not set). Since that would let you queue up the characters to drain at your will, you can then synchronize the input to the TI program's scanning in the same manner Classic99* does.

Interestingly, I don't see any drivers having implemented it in the version I have (which, admittedly, is probably quite old). But if it's still there - then there's your hook! :)

(Edit: maybe not the Classic99 manner, since Classic99 includes the ROMs it just hooks KSCAN. But my PS/2 keyboard interface /also/ has a Paste function, and it works reliably by counting the number of times the CRU input to the keyboard changes. Every 16 changes (I checked src) it changes the key being presented. ;) )

Edited by Tursi
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, Tursi said:

It's not a memory leak, but I've seen hints in the past that the timing thread could slip.

I'll leave my Classic99 up for a while today and see if it reproduces under the debugger. I think last time I tried this it did not reproduce though.

Very strange that you get "not responding", though... the Windows side has its own thread and the emulation thread can't interfere with it.

Only says that in Task Manager. It comes up with selection on Task Manager.

Right Click and it asks if you want to CLOSE APPLICATION OR WAIT FOR RESPONSE.

Sometimes it just comes back after 5 or 10 minutes, other just stays locked up. 

I thought it was using Turbo mode but not using it does it too. 

4 hours ago, RXB said:

Ok only had Classic99 open and while typing in XB program comment locks up for 10 minutes.

Task Managers say "Classic99 is not responding"

Did not have overdrive engaged and in Windows 10 Task Manager said 3.2 CPU usage?

Does this have to do with now long you use Classic99, seems to happen when I have it open and running over 40 minutes?

Task Manager asks to close or wait for response from App (Classic99) so what is going on?

It should happen again as this happens all day off and on. Now Task Manager says Classic99 is at 1.7 CPU?

I've left classic99 running for many hours without issue.. i just updated to the latest so will let that sit for a while running lines ..  

2 hours ago, RXB said:

Only says that in Task Manager. It comes up with selection on Task Manager.

Right Click and it asks if you want to CLOSE APPLICATION OR WAIT FOR RESPONSE.

Sometimes it just comes back after 5 or 10 minutes, other just stays locked up. 

I thought it was using Turbo mode but not using it does it too. 

Yeah.. that message means that the Windows message pump is not responding, which is why it's odd.

I ran for the last two hours without an issue. Had to reboot for an install, so I'll start it up again. I'll run XB this time.

1 hour ago, Tursi said:

Yeah.. that message means that the Windows message pump is not responding, which is why it's odd.

I ran for the last two hours without an issue. Had to reboot for an install, so I'll start it up again. I'll run XB this time.

Yea same ran it for hours with no problems, other times 20 minutes it locks up for 10 minutes? WTF?

13 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

still going

Yea it looks like a Windows 10 problem that hates any 32bit app.

If you look you see hundreds of thousands of apps that have same issue 32bit.

Prefect example is 32bit apps that interface games like World of Tanks or EA game 32bit app that crashes GAME or Windows!

Edited by RXB
comment added

13 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

still going

still going..

I'm really starting to think you have a issue with your windows install dude..  I recently had to wipe and reinstall win10 due to it locking up or rebooting...  turns out to be all windows 10 issue as a clean install is stable

I can only suggest two things

- wipe and reinstall windows and see (after a backup)

- install xubuntu and forget about this microsoft crap

34 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

still going..

I'm really starting to think you have a issue with your windows install dude..  I recently had to wipe and reinstall win10 due to it locking up or rebooting...  turns out to be all windows 10 issue as a clean install is stable

I can only suggest two things

- wipe and reinstall windows and see (after a backup)

- install xubuntu and forget about this microsoft crap

Hmm last I checked Microsoft Windows is used more and has more programs that more people use then Linux or Unix.

No one says it is better, think of it like VW Bug the peoples car, no it was not best or in anyway better it was just more of them and popular due to that.

And I answered the question as many of the crashes come from C+ old libraries that originated from 32bit Windows that locks up Windows 64bit.

20 minutes ago, RXB said:
Hmm last I checked Microsoft Windows is used more and has more programs that more people use then Linux or Unix.
No one says it is better, think of it like VW Bug the peoples car, no it was not best or in anyway better it was just more of them and popular due to that.

And I answered the question as many of the crashes come from C+ old libraries that originated from 32bit Windows that locks up Windows 64bit.

I'm running 64 bit and had it running all night with no lockup..

it's not Windows 64-bit as the issue it is something having to do with what you have installed on your machine likely you've installed some software that loads a dll or other support file that has a bug in it or Windows has corrupted itself which it has a tendency to do

If you have the ability to backup an image reinstall Windows and try it I would suggest you do that.

Also just because the rest of the lemmings jump ..   nevermind..  if you want to use windows you have to accept it's not perfect and it's going to corrupt.. period..

I use it too, on my gaming machine..  but that means that about once a year  I have to reformat and reinstall because there's no recovery from things that corrupt.. I just replaced my entire system, plugged in the old hard drive (which you are supposed to be able to do with win10) and it still needed wipe and reformat to resolve wierd issues with drivers etc..

Oh and drivers.. have you updated your video driver to the latest? All your other drivers? Windows updates? 

10 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

I'm running 64 bit and had it running all night with no lockup..

it's not Windows 64-bit as the issue it is something having to do with what you have installed on your machine likely you've installed some software that loads a dll or other support file that has a bug in it or Windows has corrupted itself which it has a tendency to do

If you have the ability to backup an image reinstall Windows and try it I would suggest you do that.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

How many times have you used the option to load own GRAM Carts and make software in Classic99 like me?

Also I do not have mulitple C+ or C++ library loaded as I do not write in C, but only in GPL.

So more likely you have a DLL loaded that I do not load thus more likely I would crash as that DLL is only in the library you loaded.

I keep my Windows 10 to bare minimum of stuff loaded and do not download bloatware like a C++ library of 8Gig.

1 minute ago, RXB said:

How many times have you used the option to load own GRAM Carts and make software in Classic99 like me?

Also I do not have mulitple C+ or C++ library loaded as I do not write in C, but only in GPL.

So more likely you have a DLL loaded that I do not load thus more likely I would crash as that DLL is only in the library you loaded.

I keep my Windows 10 to bare minimum of stuff loaded and do not download bloatware like a C++ library of 8Gig.

send me what you have and I'll see if it locks mine up

Greg

12 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

send me what you have and I'll see if it locks mine up

Greg

RXB 2020 GRAM unfinished? Really?

You can do same this with RXB 2015, just load the Object files into GRAM in Classic99  and use the CALL USER("DSK1.BATCH") file and after a few times Classic99 will lock up.

Or load the GRAMs and Assemble the DV80 files using GPL Assembler and at times it will lock up Classic99.

All of these are in RXB 2012 and RXB 2015 package including the GPL Assembler and GPL@LOADER

Tursi is right it has something to do with Keys but I have no idea what is the reason.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RXB said:

RXB 2020 GRAM unfinished? Really?

You can do same this with RXB 2015, just load the Object files into GRAM in Classic99  and use the CALL USER("DSK1.BATCH") file and after a few times Classic99 will lock up.

Or load the GRAMs and Assemble the DV80 files using GPL Assembler and at times it will lock up Classic99.

All of these are in RXB 2012 and RXB 2015 package including the GPL Assembler and GPL@LOADER

Tursi is right it has something to do with Keys but I have no idea what is the reason.

I am running 2015 that comes with classic99, ran batch and wading through

1 hour ago, OLD CS1 said:

What build of Windows 10 are you using, Rich?  The latest is 1909.

The most up to date one, and I have a computer with all the latest hardware and CPU all 2019, only thing older then 2019 is my Video card 2018 RTX 2070 Super.

Edited by RXB
picture

in that capture you left out the build no :)  

I see your problem.. ryzen cpu's lock up running classic99..   :)

(joke)

I've run batch 3 times so far no lockups..   twice from rxb and one from the menu .. it does however stop after the copy to TEST3 command. not sure if the copy with classic99 is truncated or just ends abruptly

• Haha 1

@RXB  Yeah, unfortunately that does not have the build number.  But you can get that using the winver.exe command.

@arcadeshopper might be onto something.  Some AMD system OEMs build their systems with both Intel and AMD drivers to save time on imaging.  This has been known to cause various ridiculous problems.  Is yours home-built or is it an ASUS OEM build?

Another thing to consider is if your BIOS is up-to-date (cannot recall if you addressed this.)  BIOS updates will contain errata updates for CPUs, and some CPUs have silly little bugs (like the kind that can cause Excel spreadsheets to randomly crash -- hand to God, a BIOS update actually fixed this problem.)

• Like 2