IGNORED

How do you store Sega Game Gear games?

These things are awful to store in a visually pleasing manner unless you go for CIB which is extremely expensive and takes a very long time to find certain boxes. The carts don't have end labels. They're just slightly too large to fit in cassette cases. They're irritating to dig through if you just have a stack of them. That being said, Game Gear is the only Sega system I have any interest in collecting for (maybe dreamcast as well but that's not the point), and I'd really like to find a visually pleasing way to store and display these cartridges. So, what does everyone else do for them?

I've never found a perfect solution, but I did come across some flat clear plastic cases (material similar maybe to hot wheels track) that held 3 rows of 4, or something like that. You could see 12 games at once and they stacked nice. ...don't know where to get 'em.

Eventually, I moved them to some wood cigar boxes I found at a garage sale. The carts are merely grossly sorted into a few boxes which I just go through to play games once in a while; mostly not organized at all :)

Doesn't help that gg game boxes were horrible quality. Guess that's true of most handheld boxes, but in my first hand experience, only game.com boxes were worse than game gear.

Why no clamshell cart cases? Some gg titles had a similar clamshell like gameboy, but most didn't include those. As far as I'm aware, nobody made third party cart protectors for game gear, and even Sega didn't seem to sell the clamshell separate.

Edited by Video

• 3 months later...

I keep all mine a Game Gear carryall with the inlay pulled out!

I too would like a nicer way of pouring through my collection when looking for a game to play.

Then again, I'm on Game Gear #3 now and even that one is getting iffy.

So maybe my games will end up in storage... unless I find someone who can recap a GG and give it a fresh life.

Because, I'm NOT buying another used one after this one dies... :(

I bought my first one in 2001, lasted about 10 years, the next one lasted 5, and this one is just hitting 3 years and giving me trouble...

So I know damn near every other one out there is dying about this time too!!! :( :( :( 

I stack them on top of each other and it looks awful but its all I can do. I think I have about 12 of the clear plastic cases and no actual boxes for any of the games (but I do have the box for the game gear itself!) I find the lack of boxes generally for handhelds makes any nice form of display hard, but I guess some bespoke plastic stand might work. Unfortunately I stick the game gear games in the same section of my countless Nintendo handheld games, one day they will get some better pride of place but until I can make up the space that is what they got.

Has anyone tried the cases from http://www.customgamecases.com

They make genesis style clamshell cases for game gear. They all appear to have artwork included, not sure if you can get blank ones and make your own artwork or not. I don’t have any, so I can’t speak for quality or anything like that. 

Also, a couple people mentioned that their Game Gears don’t work or need recapping. I can do that if anyone is interested.