IGNORED

NanoPEB

James app-2008

Hello

i recently purchased a nanoPEB on eBay. 

My ti99/4a recognizes my nanoPEB but that’s as far as I’ve gotten?

im new to all this. And I’m not great with the terminology? Can someone help me to try and get this working? 

I have extended basic. 

My my main goal is to use a virtual disk drive to save programs? I’ve been writing programs for fun. And my ge cassette deck isn’t working to save to tape? 

I dont know how to bring up the cfmgr manager. To see files on my cf card? 

I did buy mine off eBay and although my ti99/4a at the startup screen recognizes my nanoPEB should the cf card come ready to use? 

This is all new new to me. Wondered if anyone could help?

http://www.nanopeb.com/

https://nanopeb.com/downloads/nanoPEB/docs/nanoPEB-SIO_V1.pdf

Did you get a power supply? it requires a 5v REGULATED power supply, if you don't have one I stock them at arcadeshopper.com also you need to turn it on with the switch on the top. 

basically yes it comes with disks on the cf card.. you need to read the manual to learn how to use it.. i have linked it in pdf above

The CFMGR program requires extended basic or Editor assembler cart to load.  if you put extended basic in the TI and hit 2 for extended basic it should load the LOAD program from DSK1. which then loads CFGMGR

try this in TI BASIC:    OLD DSK1.CATALOG   then type RUN .. select 1 to get a catalog of disk 1.. 

Greg

Hello

just tried old dsk1.catalog from ti basic

i have extended basic cart plugged in. But chose 1. Ti basic

i get an error:

* warning: check program in memory * I/O error 57

i wondered if I could ask you. 

I googled how how to save a program to floppy disk and followed the instructions online, by typing:

save dsk1.upward

upward was a sound program I got from a book and typed in

i didn’t get an error. But I lost the program. As far as I can tell. 

My ti would load something: I typed:

old dsk1.upward

and didn’t get an error message. But if I type list I got a number I think it was 1442 something like that when I typed list? 

I tried call mount(1,1) 

and tried again gain but I get a number when I run list. Also computer crashes if I try to run it? 

I dont want want to mess up the cf card? I’m going blind. Did I do something wrong by trying to save the file to dsk? I hope not

Also so I have a nanoPEB I bought off eBay. I have a power chord that came with it. I also have an extended basic cart. I just bought. It’s plugged in and shows up as option 2. Under 1. Ti basic

how do I load cfmgr? Should it automatically load? 

Is there a way to load it from ti basic or extended basic? 

If i am not mistaken, CFMGR requires 32k expansion.  But the nanoPEB will still function just fine without the 32K,  it just won't load CFMGR at boot up.  Some one with more experience will chime in, I am sure.  EDIT: (duh, I forgot the nano HAS 32k built in...) 

Edited by DavidC

14 minutes ago, DavidC said:

If i am not mistaken, CFMGR requires 32k expansion.  But the nanoPEB will still function just fine without the 32K,  it just won't load CFMGR at boot up.  Some one with more experience will chime in, I am sure.

The nanoPEB comes with the 32 KiB expansion RAM on board. It is certainly possible that it is bad, but that should be obvious with the SIZE command in Extended Basic. If you get only one number (n BYTES FREE) in response, you do not have the 32 KiB expansion RAM. If you have it, you should get two numbers (m BYTES OF STACK FREE; n BYTES OF PROGRAM SPACE FREE). The “BYTES OF PROGRAM SPACE FREE” number should be in excess of 24000 with no program present at startup.

...lee

• Like 1

3 hours ago, James app-2008 said:

how do I load cfmgr? Should it automatically load? 

Is there a way to load it from ti basic or extended basic?

As @Torrax indicated, with volume 1 mounted as DSK1, Extended Basic should autoload DSK1.LOAD, which loads and runs CFMGR.

It is possible volume 1 has been corrupted, in which case you should reload volume 1 with VOL1.DSK. You can download it from Jaime Malilong’s site and copy it to the volume 1 slot with a number of utilities: @F.G. Kaal’s TI99Dir, @mizapf’s TI Image Tool or Jaime’s PC-to-CompactFlash. I prefer TI99Dir, but all three will work. You may already know this, but of course, you need to remove your CF card and connect it to your PC with a CF reader to use these utilities. When you do connect the card to your PC, DO NOT allow Windows to format the CF card as it prompts you to do!

...lee

Hello

i just went into extended basic

i typed in size 

I get:

11832 bytes of stack free

24488 bytes of program space free

i still don’t know how to get into the cfmgr screen? 

Lee btw I found your program for ti basic for like listing the drives. But I got an error on line 280 but I probably just wrote something in wrong

in your program some lines are in red? Should I be concerned with that at all? Or just type it in? 

Sounds like I have the 32k expansion

my cfmgr definatly doesent autoload when I enter extended basic? 

Im looking at my extended basic cart. It says TI extended BASIC 

on top it says command module?

is that ok? 

Also isnt or shouldnt there be a way to manual run cfmgr? 

Also is there anything I would have to do to the cf card on a computer? I bought my nanoPEB off eBay. It came with a 256mb cf card. And it looks like I have the 32k and my ti99/4a recognizes it at startup

ive read the guide. My cfmgr isn’t loading automatically. Am I doing something wrong?

Edited by James app-2008

I have to buy a cf card reader. To re-load the file you suggested lee if it is corrupt?

well that won’t be for a bit. 

Off topic pic but I own a MacBook Pro laptop. Are there any programs for Mac or are they all windows? 

I get I could look into getting an emulator for my MacBook pro

lee I tried typing in the program u listed. It starts to run then I get an error bad subroutine in line 280

i read somewhere when programming in basic the error might not correspond to the actual line? 

I probally typed something in wrong?

but I need a break lol

1 hour ago, James app-2008 said:

Off topic pic but I own a MacBook Pro laptop. Are there any programs for Mac or are they all windows?

TI Image Tool is written in Java, so, if you can load Java Runtime on your MacBook, it should run fine. PC-to-CompactFlash is a DOS program, so you could probably run it in DOSBox on your MacBook.

...lee

2 hours ago, James app-2008 said:

Hello

i just went into extended basic

i typed in size 

I get:

11832 bytes of stack free

24488 bytes of program space free

i still don’t know how to get into the cfmgr screen? 

Lee btw I found your program for ti basic for like listing the drives. But I got an error on line 280 but I probably just wrote something in wrong

in your program some lines are in red? Should I be concerned with that at all? Or just type it in? 

Sounds like I have the 32k expansion

my cfmgr definatly doesent autoload when I enter extended basic? 

Im looking at my extended basic cart. It says TI extended BASIC 

on top it says command module?

is that ok? 

Also isnt or shouldnt there be a way to manual run cfmgr? 

Also is there anything I would have to do to the cf card on a computer? I bought my nanoPEB off eBay. It came with a 256mb cf card. And it looks like I have the 32k and my ti99/4a recognizes it at startup

ive read the guide. My cfmgr isn’t loading automatically. Am I doing something wrong?

if you have it mounted as (1,1) it should autoload cfmgr when you start extended basic.

you posted old and save statements earlier in lowercase, you need to put all device names in UPPER CASE  DSK1 not dsk1  filenames are case sensitive as well.. io error 0 is no device found.. 7 is file not found.. 

did you do the call mount suggested earlier?  it's possible the first disk is corrupted somehow, or you did a CALL FORMAT on it.. and erased it..  lucky for you there's a spare copy in slot 3 on the cf card.. so if you CALL MOUNT(1,3) then OLD DSK1.CATALOG that should work 

Greg

• Like 2

Hello

a couple of things. I meant DSK1 I have caps lock on, on my ti99/4a. 

I just tried. I have the extended basic cart in. nanoPEB in with power chord plugged in and turned on. 

I went into extended basic typed:

call mount(1,3)

then typed: bye

to get to startup screen. Which the YouTube video I watched that’s what the guy did. 

But then went back into extended basic. Typed:

OLD DSK1.CATALOG

i got an i/o error

dont know what that means? Also like someone posted if I mounted(1,3) cfmgr should have auto loaded when I restarted extended basic, correct? 

One thing i did which worked, for me don’t know why exactly but I took out the extended basic cart. 

I then typed at ti basic:

call mount(1,1)

then typed:

bye

got to startup screen. Started ti basic again. And tried to load a program I thought I saved to my cf card. 

When i re-entered ti basic and typed:

old dsk1.upward

my program that I had written in and saved loaded. I listed it, it listed the program and was able to run the program. Don’t know why it worked? But that program is on my cf card I’m assuming? 

Also so when I tried this with my extended basic cart. In it didn’t work?

Any thoughts? 

im really new to the ti99/4a im not used to the commands etc. 

Hello

a couple of things. I meant DSK1 I have caps lock on, on my ti99/4a. 

I just tried. I have the extended basic cart in. nanoPEB in with power chord plugged in and turned on. 

I went into extended basic typed:

call mount(1,3)

then typed: bye

to get to startup screen. Which the YouTube video I watched that’s what the guy did. 

But then went back into extended basic. Typed:

OLD DSK1.CATALOG

i got an i/o error

dont know what that means? Also like someone posted if I mounted(1,3) cfmgr should have auto loaded when I restarted extended basic, correct? 

One thing i did which worked, for me don’t know why exactly but I took out the extended basic cart. 

I then typed at ti basic:

call mount(1,1)

then typed:

bye

got to startup screen. Started ti basic again. And tried to load a program I thought I saved to my cf card. 

When i re-entered ti basic and typed:

old dsk1.upward

my program that I had written in and saved loaded. I listed it, it listed the program and was able to run the program. Don’t know why it worked? But that program is on my cf card I’m assuming? 

Also so when I tried this with my extended basic cart. In it didn’t work?

Any thoughts? 

im really new to the ti99/4a im not used to the commands etc. 

Your program was saved to the card so it's still there..

Sounds like your card is missing the files normally included

You can type in the catalog program it's pretty short. It's in the back of the disk controller manual.

The manual is on http://ftp.whtech.com under datasheets and manuals

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Just a quick shot, as I stopped working somewhen on this proggy. It´s for TI-Basic only at the moment:

TI-Catalog

1 CALL CLEAR
100 PRINT "CATALOG-LOADER v2.2a by Toxic :)"
110 DIM TYPE$(5)
120 TYPE$(1)="DIS/FIX"
130 TYPE$(2)="DIS/VAR"
140 TYPE$(3)="INT/FIX"
150 TYPE$(4)="INT/VAR"
160 TYPE$(5)="PROGRAM"
170 PRINT
180 PRINT "PRESS 99 OR FCTN-4 TO EXIT"
190 PRINT
200 INPUT "MASTER DISK(1-9)? ":DISK
210 REM  CALL CLEAR
220 PRINT
230 PRINT
240 DISK=INT(DISK)
250 REM PRINT DISK
260 IF DISK=99 THEN 10000
270 IF DISK<0 THEN 190
280 IF DISK>9 THEN 190

290 OPEN #1:"DSK"&STR$(DISK)&".",INPUT,RELATIVE,INTERNAL
300 INPUT #1:DISK$,J,J,AVAIL
REM 302 PRINT "----------------------------"
REM 303 CALL CLEAR

REM 310 DISPLAY "DSK";STR$(DISK);" - DISKNAME= ";DISK$:"AVAILABLE=";AVAIL;"USED=";J-AVAIL
REM 310 DISPLAY "DSK";STR$(DISK);" = ";DISK$:"USED =";J-AVAIL;"FREE =";AVAIL
REM 320 DISPLAY "FILENAME  SIZE TYPE    PROT":"--------  ---- ------- -----";

310 GOSUB 900

330 MEM=0
340 FOR LOOP=1 TO 127
350 MEM=MEM+1
360 IF MEM<=19 THEN 400
370 INPUT "*** PRESS ENTER ***":MEMK$
371 PRINT "----------------------------"
372 GOSUB 900
380 MEM=1

400 INPUT #1:NAME$,PROT,SIZE,TYP
410 IF LEN(NAME$)=0 THEN 490
420 DISPLAY:NAME$;TAB(12);SIZE;TAB(16);TYPE$(ABS(PROT));
430 IF ABS(PROT)=5 THEN 460
440 B$=" "&STR$(TYP)
450 DISPLAY SEG$(B$,LEN(B$)-2,3);
460 IF PROT>0 THEN 340
470 DISPLAY TAB(28);"Y";
480 NEXT LOOP
490 CLOSE #1
500 PRINT
510 PRINT
520 PRINT
500 GOTO 170
900 CALL CLEAR
910 DISPLAY "DSK";STR$(DISK);" = ";DISK$:"USED =";J-AVAIL;"    FREE =";AVAIL
920 DISPLAY "FILENAME  SIZE TYPE    PROT":"--------  ---- ------- -----";
930 RETURN

I ran the program u listed

i got a bad subscript at line 280

the line with the tabs

i also got the same error when I tried to run a similar program that Lee had shared

also the programs I saved on my nanoPEB I can’t load anymore? 

This is is frustrating. I’m thinking they might still be on my cf card?

is there anyone who could help me?

my problem:

i have two programs dsk1.upward and dsk1.prelude, which I believe are saved on my cf card. 

My problem:

although I was able to load them using old dsk1.upward, after a call mount(1,1) from ti basic. They no longer load?

im pretty sure there on my cf card? 

Things ive done:

ordered finalgrom99 and and disk manager 2 cart. From eBay and arcade shopper. 

Tried typing in two pragrams which should let me look at dsk1. Ran into bad subscript error message? Have tried a couple of times checking my work with no success? 

Im wondering: why these files I was able to load and now I can’t? 

Im working on a musical interpretation of Bach’s prelude no.1 in c major

i saved the file. But now I can’t load it? I thought I saved it to the nanoPEB and my cf card. But now I can’t load it? 

Is there someone who could help me load my program? I want to continue writing to it? I’m assuming it’s still on my cf card, but I don’t know how to load the program?

James,

Do you have a cf card reader and a PC?  

Also . not sure whats up with that catalog program he posted it doesn't work for me either.. here's one that works and is much shorter

100 CALL CLEAR
110 DIM TYPE$(5)
120 TYPE$(1)="DIS/FIX"
130 TYPE$(2)="DIS/VAR"
140 TYPE$(3)="INT/FIX"
150 TYPE$(4)="INT/VAR"
160 TYPE$(5)="PROGRAM"
170 INPUT "MASTER DISK(1-3)? ":A
180 A=INT(A)
190 IF A<1 THEN 170
200 IF A>3 THEN 170
210 OPEN #1:"DSK"&STR$(A)&".",INPUT,RELATIVE,INTERNAL
220 INPUT #1:A$,J,J,K
230 DISPLAY "DSK";STR$(A);" - DISKNAME= ";A$:"AVAILABLE=";K;"USED=";J-K
240 DISPLAY:"FILENAME SIZE TYPE P":"-------- ---- ---- -";
250 FOR LOOP=1 TO 127
260 INPUT #1:A$,A,J,K
270 IF LEN(A$)=0 THEN 350
280 DISPLAY:A$;TAB(12);J;TAB(17);TYPE$(ABS(A));
290 IF ABS(A)=5 THEN 320
300 B$=" "&STR$(K)
310 DISPLAY SEG$(B$,LEN(B$)-2,3);
320 IF A>0 THEN 340
330 DISPLAY TAB(28);"Y";
340 NEXT LOOP
350 CLOSE #1

• 2 weeks later...

1. First, verify that you CAN catalog the volume assigned to DSK1 by the MOUNT command. That will tell you whether or not your system is truly recognizing the NanoPEB. Don't try ANYTHING ELSE until this step is successful.

2. If the catalog program you typed in works--and there is no program named CATALOG on the volume when you catalog it, type SAVE DSK1.CATALOG from your command prompt (and don't do anything to kill that program in memory before you do this, or you will have to type it in again).

3. Type NEW

4. Type OLD DSK1.CATALOG

5. Type RUN to catalog the disk with the program you just loaded.

6. Tell us what programs are on the volume you just cataloged.

Let us know if these steps give you any help, and then we can get you to the issue of the programs you're working on.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread but here is my 2 cents worth. I just scored a Nano PEB for free with a huge TI lot. I stuck the TI Extended Basic cart in the slot and the Nano in the side slot. Be sure to turn on the Nano first, then the console. If all is well, you should be greeted with the NanoPEB-TI splash screen. Select 2 for Extended Basic, from there it should go right into CFMGR and give you several choices of what to do. I think I chose Catalog to list everything on the CF card. It was that or "List". I'm at work now and don't remember. I took 9 screenshots of what it listed. Quit out and go back to "1" TI Basic. Type "CALL MOUNT (1,X) X= any volume on your card) Say, CALL MOUNT (1,50)

hit enter, quit back out again, this time choose "2" for Extended Basic and if that volume on your card works, something will load.

2 hours ago, garycimera1968 said:

I know this is an old thread but here is my 2 cents worth. I just scored a Nano PEB for free with a huge TI lot. I stuck the TI Extended Basic cart in the slot and the Nano in the side slot. Be sure to turn on the Nano first, then the console. If all is well, you should be greeted with the NanoPEB-TI splash screen. Select 2 for Extended Basic, from there it should go right into CFMGR and give you several choices of what to do. I think I chose Catalog to list everything on the CF card. It was that or "List". I'm at work now and don't remember. I took 9 screenshots of what it listed. Quit out and go back to "1" TI Basic. Type "CALL MOUNT (1,X) X= any volume on your card) Say, CALL MOUNT (1,50)

hit enter, quit back out again, this time choose "2" for Extended Basic and if that volume on your card works, something will load.

Be sure to call unmount as I heard this could prevent corruption of the data card.

26 minutes ago, GDMike said:

Be sure to call unmount as I heard this could prevent corruption of the data card.

????

Not sure how that could possibly matter. All that CALL UNMOUNT(<drive#>) does is to change the volume# to the default volume# for that drive—same volume# as drive#, the way it was shipped. It does not result in an empty drive as happens when you physically remove a diskette from a drive on real iron. There is always a volume mounted in each of the 3 drive emulations.

...lee

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lee Stewart said:

????

Not sure how that could possibly matter. All that CALL UNMOUNT(<drive#>) does is to change the volume# to the default volume# for that drive—same volume# as drive#, the way it was shipped. It does not result in an empty drive as happens when you physically remove a diskette from a drive on real iron. There is always a volume mounted in each of the 3 drive emulations.

... Lee

Just repeating what Victor said who uses his all the time. Just saying. I'll look for his comment. 

Ahh. Here..

Always unmount before mounting.  I have had goofy results if I did not, presumably the new disk overwriting the old one incorrectly.

Edited by GDMike

10 hours ago, GDMike said:

Just repeating what Victor said who uses his all the time. Just saying. I'll look for his comment. 

Ahh. Here..

Always unmount before mounting.  I have had goofy results if I did not, presumably the new disk overwriting the old one incorrectly.

Sorry. That still makes absolutely no sense as the reason for any disk corruption. Something else is going on in his scenario. CALL UNMOUNT(3) does exactly the same thing as CALL MOUNT(3,3). And the only disk writing is to the area in the CF reserved for associating a volume with a drive slot. Both commands write to the same, physical place, not to a volume.

...lee

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lee Stewart said:

And the only disk writing is to the area in the CF reserved for associating a volume with a drive slot. Both commands write to the same, physical place, not to a volume

Note: I, myself have used nanopeb  extensively over the complete summer 2017 and never called call unmount.

But when victor said what he said regarding and had many more years using his, I figured he would know better, and it's prevention of his corruption problems so I thought it's best to mention it. I've been trying to get him to move over to tipi sending him a pi, but he's not ready yet. I'm thinking of pushing him and maybe do a video for him or something..