IGNORED

Which block falling puzzle games would be possible on Atari 2600?

PitfallHarry77

45 minutes ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Attached is an NTSC version with hacked colors. That one should work better, I hope.

Shades (NTSC, hacked).bin 4 kB · 3 downloads

Did you used black for the darkest color?

I think there is a bug, because if a blocks reaches the darkest color it also disappear. But IIRC, they should only disappear if the full row reaches the darkest (same) color.

I wonder if the idea could be extended, so that you have different colors and can merge two blocks which have the same luminescence. Which would result into a darker, mixed color.

This would make the game more difficulty due to the multiple colors. And maybe you can use the colors for extra rules.

One of my favorite block falling puzzle games was the VIC-20 classic BLITZ with each unique puzzle presented as a randomly generated City, the challenge being to drop blocks to fit the puzzle and specifically the spires.

Here are three variations on this classic for the Atari:

CityScape is in the classic BLITZ format with the addition of controlable speed, necessary to avoid the enemy ground crew on subsequent stages.

Fluid City uses a side scrolling format that may not be possible on any 8-bit system without Atari architecture. You must drop blocks within a 30th of a second response time to solve the randomly generated puzzle because it is moving at 30 FPS! :) This game was a big hit at the 2019 Atari Art Festival in Gdansk and includes an impossible game (BW switch) which has the puzzle moving twice as fast.

Bomb on Pixel City is a French port with very colorful graphics written in Assembly.

10 hours ago, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Fixed (replaced the download). Thanks for testing.

This is great Thomas! It makes the colours a LOT easier to distinguish without taking too much away from the difficulty of matching and correctly stacking. All that's left is to be able to reset the game without power cycling. ;-) 

- James

On 4/27/2020 at 11:10 AM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

Attached is an NTSC version with hacked colors. That one should work better, I hope.

Shades (NTSC, hacked).bin 4 kB · 10 downloads

Thanks, I hadn't tried using different hue values. Initially I wasn't sure as it doesn't look quite as nice, but I got used to it after playing a while. It definitely helps distinguishing the blocks, which was my reason for not finishing it off, so...

On 4/27/2020 at 11:37 PM, ZeroPage Homebrew said:

This is great Thomas! It makes the colours a LOT easier to distinguish without taking too much away from the difficulty of matching and correctly stacking. All that's left is to be able to reset the game without power cycling. ;-) 

- James

I've added a title screen and 3 difficulty modes which select the initial speed of the blocks. I didn't think the game needed to be any harder, so EXPERT mode plays as before, NORMAL is a little slower and EASY a lot slower (those two speed up after a while). You can abort a game by pressing Reset which takes you back to the title screen. The NTSC build uses the hacked colours, the PAL colours aren't changed.

SHADES_NTSC.BIN SHADES_PAL.BIN SHADES_PAL_60.BIN

Edited by playsoft
Binaries updated as the blocks were one scanline too long when falling
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, playsoft said:

Thanks, I hadn't tried using different hue values. Initially I wasn't sure as it doesn't look quite as nice, but I got used to it after playing a while. It definitely helps distinguishing the blocks, which was my reason for not finishing it off, so...

I've added a title screen and 3 difficulty modes which select the initial speed of the blocks. I didn't think the game needed to be any harder, so EXPERT mode plays as before, NORMAL is a little slower and EASY a lot slower (those two speed up after a while). You can abort a game by pressing Reset which takes you back to the title screen. The NTSC build uses the hacked colours, the PAL colours aren't changed.

This is great!! Thank you for adding more sounds, wider range of colours and a menu with difficulty settings PLUS a reset! It's much easier to distinguish the colours and it still maintains the challenge and strategy of the game. The new colours make it so I'm not squinting at the blocks as they drop while I change my mind back and forth trying to see if it's one hue of green or the other!

Thank you for the big update!

- James

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/29/2020 at 9:23 PM, Thomas Jentzsch said:

/signed

Found a small bug: The sound is not stopped when you leave a game early.

Thank you - that was a good catch.

On 4/29/2020 at 11:18 PM, Karl G said:

Having switchable color schemes might be a nice future feature as well.  Here's one possibility that I was playing around with:

SHADES_NTSC.thumb.png.86ae4fe862c7b65a72269a0d8f8a3592.png

I have created a topic for the game here. I have added some additional palettes with placeholder colour values. The source is included so hopefully you would be able to try them out or just post the values and I will include them, thank you.