IGNORED

Apple IIe Hard Drive

Tempest

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever tried to hook up a hard drive to an Apple IIe? I assume it would require a SCSI interface card or something of that nature. I was curious as to how well it worked. The thought of having all my numerious disks of games on a HD interests me.

Tempest

I've thought about that myself for my //e...

There's a few IDE projects out there, and of course, you can still find SCSI cards for the II series...

But I'm not convinced (Never used it) that alot of the games would run from the HD.. Anyone with a Apple with a HD know how well it would work???

Something else I've considered is that Apple II disk server that is part of the Oasis emulation package.. It looks like with a cable from your PC to the Apple, you can use the images from your PC, although you (I think, again, haven't tried it) have to choose a disk image file, and then the Apple sees it as a disk.

It's my understanding that the disk image file can be a hard disk image tho also..

Since my Apple //e is sitting next to my computer, I'm considering it. But I only have one printer port on my PC and my printer is using it.. :-) I don't want to swap cables.. (Switchbox??) Maybe when I get a USB printer...

Also, the cable uses the Apple // joystick port, and I have an Apple // joystick I'd like to keep using.. :-)

Actually, I'd prefer someone make an ethernet card for the //e that would let me use some type of a network Disk server (I know, there's the LanceGS, but it requires a Mac server of some type I think, and it has limited // support (more a GS card) and the maker isn't being too helpful to the guy who is trying to do the Apple Contiki port..) AND work with Contiki (which I know isn't out for the Apple yet.. :^)... So, yes, I want it all!!!

desiv

I don't think I'd touch a vintage //e hard drive for anything more than curiosity's sake. Even when those things were NEW they were notoriously unreliable. Besides, who wants 20 megs? There are IDE "hardcards" available for about $100 on eBay (more with your choice of HD installed) that would give you up to at least 2 gigs of nice, reliable storage.

I can't imagine how you'd manage to run a disk image straight from a hard drive ON a //e.. I don't think there'd be enough RAM to do the trick. On the other hand, you could set up the world's largest AE warez board and STORE those disk images, or collect the numerous hacked games that were converted to AppleDOS files by some truly brainy individuals way back when.

The only reason I'd buy a ProFile or somesuch DOS HD would be to set up a truly "authentic" GBBS, which nobody would call and would probably crash once a week.

-rpm-

Archived