IGNORED

3D RPG idea

Gip-Gip

As most of you know I've been developing a pseudo-3d engine called VePseu. And while I wouldn't call it impressive by any means I believe it has potential to become a relatively powerful FP-RPG engine. I've been coming up with a system I soon plan to implement in which there are "scenes" across the map. Effectively, coordinates that when the player enters them display sprites on the screen and prompt the player with choices. This feature isn't done just yet but at least within a week or so the engine should be ready to start developing actual games in.

Here's the game idea:

The year is 3000. Aliens have completely drained the earth of resources, leaving nothing but rock and toxic waste. Humanity has been left to die, and extremite organisms that live off of the waste left behind have become the norm. You are one of the last humans alive, and must explore ruins to survive.

There will be turn based combat aswell, where you fight demon-like creatures, exiled aliens, robots, among other things.

Kinda like a mix between Earth Bound and System Shock, in a way

Also, if you want to help or make this a team effort, DM me and I'll see if we can get a group-chat going. I could really use someone who is either a level builder, artist, or musician, but all help is appreciated

I'll keep you guys updated on how everything goes. Looking forward to making this a reality!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RXB said:

Going to need to use the SAMS as I can not see loading off Disk for something like this!

Possibly, I'm not entirely sure yet how it'll all be stored.. I'll just have to see how big it gets

I know it sounds unorthodox, but I plan to use 1 512k EPROM chip (128 4k banks) and 1 4k static ram chip on a cartridge. That should be more than enough space, at least as it looks right now.

I'm estimating about 2-8k per location, including all the text and sprites. Plus another 16k for stills, menus, music, etc. Minus the ram dedicated to the LZ dictionary and screenbuffer, there's still about 2560 bytes left just for gamestates. 2560*8 boolean gamestates if we're stingy

I'll try to stay away from TI addons as long as I can, primarily because I lack the hardware to test such addons

3 hours ago, Gip-Gip said:

Possibly, I'm not entirely sure yet how it'll all be stored.. I'll just have to see how big it gets

I know it sounds unorthodox, but I plan to use 1 512k EPROM chip (128 4k banks) and 1 4k static ram chip on a cartridge. That should be more than enough space, at least as it looks right now.

I'm estimating about 2-8k per location, including all the text and sprites. Plus another 16k for stills, menus, music, etc. Minus the ram dedicated to the LZ dictionary and screenbuffer, there's still about 2560 bytes left just for gamestates. 2560*8 boolean gamestates if we're stingy

I'll try to stay away from TI addons as long as I can, primarily because I lack the hardware to test such addons

SAMS is 1 Meg and now is being added to other devices like TIPI.

Secondly RXB has built in support for it using Assembly or RXB commands to swap pages.

(RXB 2020 has the ability to load 4K into any 32K memory boundry i.e. >2000, >3000, >A000, >B000, >C000, >D000, >E000, >F000 )

(RXB 2020 also can now swap any 32K memory page in SAMS, of course do not do it from page running that switch. But USER command can do it from DV80 file.)

Also now Forth has SAMS support.

Halfway done with implementing scenes, after then I'll be making levels and figuring out how I want to store everything. I'm not sure whether I should use a disk or a bankswitched cart.. or maybe a cassette.. or something I'm not sure. There are pros and cons to each format I'll have to consider, I'll just have to see..

I don't think I'll need SAMS though. 1MB is a lot for a programmer like me :D

2 hours ago, Gip-Gip said:

I don't think I'll need SAMS though. 1MB is a lot for a programmer like me :D

Hmm there are a few games using the SAMS including mine using RXB (XB variant) an XB game using the SAMS over 540K used.

SAMS TI OPOLY also is very fun!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Alright since I'm almost done getting the engine game ready I already contacted some freelance composers to see if I could get some music done for the TI. I'll have a title page and a shareware level done in ideally 2 weeks.. that'll allow me to get comfortable with the level editor, get some lore and artwork down, etc. etc. I'm excited to get a game together :-D

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Just as a little update as to what's been going on

I've been tackling a few bugs and adding features to both VePseu and VePseuTool primarily, and I've been working on the actual game for two days as of now, attached below is a screenshot of VePseuTool with everything I've gotten done so far

I'm currently going at a rate of 1 map every day, so assuming this area has about 8-16 maps I'll have a tech demo ready in 8-16 days

mac_5_8_2020.png

• Like 7

As a little disclaimer, I am taking plenty of time with each map now and it's probably only a third of the way finished, just having to tweak the engine as I go to do as I want has taken a bit of time

Also this demo level will most likely not be in the final game just so nothing is spoiled per-se, that and the designs are more experimental than anything

I'm trying to give the best RPG experience I can on the TI and I think it's going well so far

The only thing this demo probably won't have is a title screen and a fighting system, I'll save those for a later date perhaps...

• Like 2

• 1 month later...