IGNORED

Loco-Motion (M-Network) does anyone on the board have it?

chewy

There's a difference between an individual infringing copyright as a hobby and a company that's someone's sole source of income.  That was Intellivision Productions.  Assuming it's now in the hands of new ownership at Intellivision Entertainment, someone can ask them what their intention is with unreleased prototypes.  Now that the company is larger and still a start-up the risks are higher.

Sure, konami might not care about this old obscure arcade game.  But I don't think that would change the advice from intellivision entertainment's lawyers.

So does anybody else have a prototype cartridge?

Edited by mr_me

21 hours ago, Supergun said:

Holy Cow!

128kb of rom data AND two additional IC’s!

I totally take back what I said about the games being crappy; well, at least in regards to LocoMotion!

That’s a bad ass cart man!

wait wait it is a 128k game?  it would of been?  would that of been the biggest atari cart evert come out had it come out? really?

theres a dawg w/ a rare genesis film from 1970 and he wont release it till he gets ONE MILLION DOLLARS--- atari or genesis or non Picasso/art stuff is just siimply -not- worth that much.  He even approached genesis management and they hard-passed, lol 

Edited by chewy

9 hours ago, Tempest said:

I know of two.  Neither owner wanted the rom shared for legal reasons.

Which was the one that you reviewed if you don't mind me asking and do you know if there were any differences between the 2?

6 hours ago, Foxsolo2000 said:

Which was the one that you reviewed if you don't mind me asking and do you know if there were any differences between the 2?

Same game, the final version (well it never got through quality assurance, but it's most likely final)

3 hours ago, Tempest said:

Same game, the final version (well it never got through quality assurance, but it's most likely final)

Thank you for the clarification.  Back in the day several arcades had this game in the back corners as if they were ashamed of it and not once did I feel like wasting a coin on it.  There was an arcade at seaside town some 20 miles from where I lived that had this game until around 1995 I believe but then they also had a dusty Donkey King and Burger King that I always spent my money on instead.

3 hours ago, mr_me said:

Sounds like there are other copies other owners besides Intellivision Productions/Entertainment.

Well, whoever owns such unreleased games and hasn't released them yet for whatever reason, will not want to make this public. Else some people would start to hassle them.

• Like 1

Nobody would hassle them once the rom file is shared, and they can remain anonymous if they like.  What would be their motivation for not doing that, are they looking for a big payoff selling the cartridge.  Konami and intellivision entertainment might not care either way.

1 minute ago, mr_me said:

Nobody would hassle them once the rom file is shared, and they can remain anonymous if they like.  What would be their motivation for not doing that, are they looking for a big payoff selling the cartridge.  Konami and intellivision entertainment might not care either way.

My friend I understand your desire to play it I truly do but believe me most prototypes are not worth the effort.  Exceptions in my opinion were Garfield and The Pink Panther but most are so far unfinished that they are unplayable.  I paid for a reproduction of MacDonalds just to have a complete collection but it did nothing but show the Golden Arches and I was left thinking why did I spend any money on it at all.  Locomotion may be completed but as I stated I never had any intention of playing it when I had the chance when it was in the arcade until 1995.  Tempest has done a great job showing pics and describing the game.  That is enough for me.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

41 minutes ago, mr_me said:

What would be their motivation for not doing that, are they looking for a big payoff selling the cartridge. 

I can guarantee you that's not the case.  The first owner didn't want to release it because they're still in the industry and didn't want to get in trouble with copyrights.  Theirs was the only proto at the time and it could have easily been traced back to them.  The second person wished to respect the wishes of the original person and also declined to release the rom. 

I know everyone wants to play this, but unless a third proto is found that's probably not going to happen.  Just respect the owners wishes and move on.

• Like 1

I will mention the outright paranoia around Pink Panther in the end being nothing more than that. It was eventually released to the masses without ANY issue what so ever. If there was to be repercussions for such a thing, PP would sure ring the bell long before some rinky dink title like Locomotion. You could call it "train game" and nobody would be any the wiser it's such an ambiguous format especially on the 2600.  I really do believe some people think just because they find their interests important and they have a circle of folks who also think their interests are important that the masses must at least know of enough to acknowledge what they are doing has some or any value. That just isn't the case in most situations.

15 minutes ago, Tempest said:

I can guarantee you that's not the case.  The first owner didn't want to release it because they're still in the industry and didn't want to get in trouble with copyrights.  Theirs was the only proto at the time and it could have easily been traced back to them.  The second person wished to respect the wishes of the original person and also declined to release the rom. 

I know everyone wants to play this, but unless a third proto is found that's probably not going to happen.  Just respect the owners wishes and move on.

I'm assuming the first person is not Intellivision Productions.  Why would the first person care if the second person leaks the rom?

edit:

If the first person is concerned about legalities they should return the prototype to the rightful owner.

Edited by mr_me

3 minutes ago, mr_me said:

I'm assuming the first person is not Intellivision Productions.  Why would the first person care if the second person leaks the rom?

You can assume whatever you want, I'm not going to tell you who it was.  I have no idea why the second person cared about that, that's their business.  End of story.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Is there gameplay video of this that's publicly available? Nothing seems available on YouTube.

I'm not too bothered that I can't check it out myself since the screenshots lack a lot of the appeal of the colorful arcade and Intellivision versions. So I think a video that allows me see and hear it in action would be adequate to satisfy my curiosity. 

3 hours ago, Tempest said:

You can assume whatever you want, I'm not going to tell you who it was.  I have no idea why the second person cared about that, that's their business.  End of story.

Maybe he made a promise and has the guts to keep to that promise.  It is a rare thing in this day and age and as no one knows his reasoning perhaps we should all just accept it.  A video of the game in action would be nice but we all have access to the pics and descriptions on Tempest's site and until something changes lets just be thankful that Tempest was allowed to review it on our behalf.

• Like 3