IGNORED

VDP heatsink required?

-^CrossBow^-

Recently received in a Rev C colecovision to get an AV mod. It has a bodge wire running across the board from one of the inductors near the power switch to a blue tantalum cap on the opposite right middle side of the board. But I also noticed that the VDP on this thing doesn't have a heatsink and doesn't show evidence that it ever did? 

I've attached a pic of the board I'm talking about. So my question is, should I order up a heatsink for this or did some earlier units not require it?

Forgot to mention it also has quite a few resistors that look bodged in on the RF modulator as well?

bodge_wire.jpg

Well, there are a few possibilities there.  1) The board has been heavily repaired.  If the VDP chip has been replaced, it's even possible that a trace was broken and that bodge wire is to replace it.  The tantalum cap is a bypass/power smoothing cap for the VCC/GND.  2) Aside from that, it's a REV C board.  Maybe that was from before they relented and decided they needed the heat sink.  And since there is suspicion that the chip has been replaced, that may be further evidence that it does.

The heat sink may or may not be needed, but I don't think anything would be hurt by applying one.

Yes a heatsink is needed for the 9928.  It runs hot and without a heatsink, the heat will definitely reduce it's lifespan.  The red bodge wire isn't factory.  That's 5 volts coming off that inductor so someone other than the factory has probably broken a trace on that rail somewhere along the line.  Those resistors on the RF module are factory and some revisions have those bodged RF modules.  Nothing to be alarmed about.

• Like 1