IGNORED

Viditel prototype cartridge

hofster

Hi,

New user here since i never was a TI-99 user myself...

I have recently found a Viditel / Prestel / Bildschirmtext prototype cartridge that I would like to know more about. I have dumped the ROM and and made a short write-up and posted some pictures of it here: https://perhof.wordpress.com/2020/04/13/ti-99-viditel-cartridge/

I hope anyone could tell me more about that little gem.

TI-99_ViditelCartrige_small.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I seem to remember that most of the countries in Europe were using a version of the Viditel/Prestel/Bildschirmtext system. It survived in France a lot longer than anywhere else. I also seem to remember that the communications protocols were the same for all of them, as the national networks were somewhat connected to each other. The Internet pretty much put a stake through it though. . .

• Like 1

Just now, arcadeshopper said:

I ran the cartridge binary from the link in the first post of this thread..  I just dropped it into my finalgrom99 sd card.. 

Greg

Nice. Thanks for trying it out.

I see that you got further than me. Is that because you have a serial port available or did you even have a modem?

3 minutes ago, hofster said:

Nice. Thanks for trying it out.

I see that you got further than me. Is that because you have a serial port available or did you even have a modem?

Yes my system has a rs232 card..  I didn't try with a modem yet as it seems to require servers that don't exist anymore.. if someone has information on how to telnet to a compatible server I can try with a wifimodem 

Greg

16 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

Yes my system has a rs232 card..  I didn't try with a modem yet as it seems to require servers that don't exist anymore.. if someone has information on how to telnet to a compatible server I can try with a wifimodem 

Greg

I don't know how to setup a connection through a wifimodem but there seems to be a Prestel compatible (same protocol as Viditel as I understand it) server at glastty.com:6502

https://glasstty.com/wiki/index.php/The_TELSTAR_Videotex_System

• Like 2

I remember somebody (french or belgium?) showed me as a Teenager on the TI Treff in Vienna in 1995 how they are parsing information from the Teletext (Bildschirmtext), precisely stock exchange data, in an automated way, on a regular basis to produce statistic data on certain stocks and aiming to predict how the numbers will evolve. I was only 15 and my english was not the best, and it was a lot of tech bubbling from the guy.

Oliver Arnold and Berry Harmsen were both on the same event, but it was none of them.

My brother and me still remember to this day the famous french accent phrase from that guy "...and here you can see information from the teletext."

• Like 1

Do you know this product from Texas Instruments Teletext decoder in the years 1977.

The character generator ROM was the 74S262 chip. (TIFAX font)

This font was originally generated by the Texas Instruments TIFAX teletext decoder as used in the very first teletext televisions.

Here are some pictures of the cards I have.

https://www.radios-tv.co.uk/ceefax-teletext/

Jean Louis

20200419_105130.thumb.jpg.27b7aa86af8327c1623545a0105a64bb.jpg20200419_105153.thumb.jpg.702d053d2a018e8ab0fe26c4b203f64d.jpg20200419_105103.thumb.jpg.27add5a217edfec027c6c6a9bb52b6f0.jpgtifax.thumb.jpg.90915cd8e8ad9fa375cf98196f163fd9.jpgTifax-XM-11.thumb.jpg.8b0a997adf8bf658183269091eea2a0c.jpg

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

Teletext, was a project from me in the early 90`s.

On the picture from Quadrunner you see a Teletext-Converter of me. The Converter needs a Video-Signal from a TV (or satellite receiver), a TI with 32k and a RS232 to connect it to the TI. The hardware I developed was much easier than the TI Teletex version, cause it uses only a SA5246 teletext decoder which is controlled by the I2C Bus and a level converter (5V to 12V).

The software (written in C99) controls the converter, loads till to 4 pages equally (and subpages), shows the pages using a teletext characterset, and save it to disk or dump it to a printer. Depending on your hardware it may load 16-512 pages in memory (using a 512k GRAM card oder 192k-VRAM). Using a 80-column graphic card shows you two pages on screen, so you may read the pages in memory in one window and in the other window it searches the new pages.

Another program uses a script file to save selected pages automaticly on disk. It supports a IR controlling to start your receiver and to change TV programs. So it was possible to get a daily weather report, stock exchange data, cooking recipes, etc.

• Like 7

• 1 year later...

I have attached vintage PC software for a Videotex host that runs on an x86 machine. It also will run successfully in a DOSBOX on a modern x64 machine. With it, you can setup a Videotex session using the TI99/4A client firmware (the 99/4A client was written by Rob Tempelmans Plat around 1983)

Videotex.zip

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 7/4/2021 at 9:01 PM, LukeD said:

I have attached vintage PC software for a Videotex host that runs on an x86 machine. It also will run successfully in a DOSBOX on a modern x64 machine. With it, you can setup a Videotex session using the TI99/4A client firmware (the 99/4A client was written by Rob Tempelmans Plat around 1983)

Videotex.zip 481.28 kB · 4 downloads

Luke also shared a very interesting story behind the Viditel software and a plausible background to my cartridge in a comment at my blog.

https://perhof.wordpress.com/2020/04/13/ti-99-viditel-cartridge/

• Like 3