IGNORED

What console games have you played and later discovered it was an arcade game? 

16 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Are you sure Revenge of Shinobi is an arcade game? Or did you ignore there was a Shinobi arcade game before the Genesis games?

Sorry, I just meant that I didn't realize that Shinobi had arcade roots, because I'd never seen the arcade machine until well after playing RoS on Genesis.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if this one counts, but I still think it's an interesting story. When I was a kid I had the Genesis (which I am extremely thankful for), but literally everyone that I knew had the Super Nintendo and Super Mario World, so I played that game on occasion at my friends' houses. Then they built a laser tag place in town and they had a bunch of arcade games there. One of the more interesting ones that I saw there was Super Mario World, which I had no idea was put into arcade cabinets!

Like I said, I'm not sure if this one counts since it's definitely a console game first, but I clearly remember putting some coins into the arcade version of Super Mario World and only having enough time to play about half of 1 level before it was time to play laser tag. Bad timing, but it was still cool to see. Naturally since I was a kid and this was before the widespread use of the internet and I had no Super Nintendo at home I played the level directly to the right of Yoshi's house instead of going towards the Yellow Switch Palace. I forgot what the cabinet looked like, unfortunately.

• Like 1

Not many if any. And if any it would have been some shmups.

In the early days I (we) seemed to discover new games at the arcade first, and then check out the home stuff. The arcade was the premier venue for discovering new games. So the question is reversed for me.

By the time home consoles started eclipsing the arcade, I was getting out of the scene. Mostly because of those fighting games.

It took many years for me to discover that such games as Canyon Bomber, Outlaw and Sky Diver were arcade games. I always thought they were just early 2600 titles.

Also, I always thought that Castlevania (the NES game) was an arcade conversion, only to discover later that it only existed in the arcade as the VS version. But then, several years later, I discovered Haunted Castle. But it's not really the same.  :)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I remember playing Pepper II on my Colecovision back in 1983. I had no idea it had been an arcade game until a few months later when I read an article in a gaming magazine about arcade games that flopped but were successful when ported to home consoles.

download (4).jpg

• Like 1

On 4/19/2020 at 1:34 PM, Tickled_Pink said:

Galaga. Believe it or not.

I never once came across an arcade machine. Plenty of Galaxians but never a Galaga. So I was definitely surprised to find it was an arcade cabinet.

Wow! That's crazy! I say that because Galaga is one of those classic arcade games that showed up everywhere even after it was OLD. You go into a buisness of some kind that has a couple of beat up old arcade games with faded graphics on the sides of the cabinet. Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Centipede and Galaga are cabinets that always show up. I remember watching other kids playing Galaga at the skating rink when it was brand new. It was so new that nobody would allow there ship get captured. Nobody realized at that point that you could get it back and have double fire:)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bigfriendly said:

Wow! That's crazy! I say that because Galaga is one of those classic arcade games that showed up everywhere even after it was OLD. You go into a buisness of some kind that has a couple of beat up old arcade games with faded graphics on the sides of the cabinet. Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Centipede and Galaga are cabinets that always show up. I remember watching other kids playing Galaga at the skating rink when it was brand new. It was so new that nobody would allow there ship get captured. Nobody realized at that point that you could get it back and have double fire:)

I live in an area that wasn't awash with arcades, although there was one nearby that still had some 80s arcade machines 20 years ago, including a Tron and Star Wars sit down cab. Found a page written a few years ago by a guy who visited the arcade as it is now and, sadly, all the games I saw there were long gone.

But, yeah. There was definitely a bit of a gap in what was available in the arcades I visited. I rarely saw Centipede or Ms. Pac-Man and yet I remember seeing Cosmic Guerilla a few times.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DJ Clae said:

Bloody Wolf.

Wow, thanks for that! Here I thought it was just a fairly good Contra/Commando exclusive run 'n gun for the TG-16 all this time. Looked it up and sure enough, an arcade game from 2 years prior!  :lol:

*guess the arcade game is known as Battle Rangers in Europe, but doesn't look to be ported to any other game systems.

• Like 1

Altered Beast.

It was the included game with my Sega Genesis, and later in life, I found it when playing around with Mame.  I'm 44 years old, have been into arcade machines since I was a was old enough to stand in a chair (to see the screen) and play, and to this day, I've still never seen an actual Altered Beast cabinet, far as I know.

• Like 1

I agree.. good call on Bloody Wolf! I had no idea until NOW it was an arcade game before. I've beaten that game several times (yes.. many many times... go figure) and had always assumed it was a pure made-for-Turbo/PCE affair. 

I'm not 100% positive, but I think the first time probably had to be Kung Fu on the NES in 1986.  I had no idea that was some IREM arcade title.  But popularity wise I think the biggest one I didn't realize on the whole at that point was the Bubble Bobble franchise.  Loved the game, never touched the arcade one until probably the 90s and I can't recall if it were emulation or a cabinet first, and from that Rainbow Island, emulator first and it was like the PCE one and NES, then again, it's an arcade game too.

I remember playing Venture on a friend's ColecoVision and then playing Venture in a traveling circus arcade. 

AND, Wizard of Wor.  Played on a friend's Atari 800, and also at that same circus arcade.

Although it looks different then the arcade game, I just found out that Rygar for the NES was an arcade game. I liked playing Rygar for the NES a long while back, and I still think it is a good game today to play. I just found out there was an arcade version, more than 28 years after I played the NES game.

1 hour ago, Nintendo64 said:

Although it looks different then the arcade game, I just found out that Rygar for the NES was an arcade game. I liked playing Rygar for the NES a long while back, and I still think it is a good game today to play. I just found out there was an arcade version, more than 28 years after I played the NES game.

Take that, @digdugnate! :P

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Nintendo64 said:

Did I miss the inside Joke?

Yes, even though you didn't miss much since digdugnate repeated his opinion about the NES version of Rygar. I'm teasing him because I've always heard good things about it, and a lot more often since it was added to Nintendo Switch Online recently. ;)

• Haha 1