IGNORED

What console games have you played and later discovered it was an arcade game? 

1 minute ago, roots.genoa said:

Yes, even though you didn't miss much since digdugnate repeated his opinion about the NES version of Rygar. I'm teasing him because I've always heard good things about it, and a lot more often since it was added to Nintendo Switch Online recently. ;)

Ahh I see. I always like the game, and has been on my list for a while for games i would like to finish. I've played the game for a many years, but have never finished it. I'll let you know if i ever do get around to completing the game. Thanks for the reply.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Yes, even though you didn't miss much since digdugnate repeated his opinion about the NES version of Rygar. I'm teasing him because I've always heard good things about it, and a lot more often since it was added to Nintendo Switch Online recently. ;)

it's all good.  :) to be fair, i did load it up on NSO and i still didn't like playing it.  lol

• Haha 1

Alien Syndrome on the Genesis,but then when I played the arcade version later on and it really blew my mind! Can't go back to the Genesis version anymore after that.  ? I love the bonus round where you can shootup a supermarket full of aliens.

1 hour ago, lushgirl_80 said:

Alien Syndrome on the Genesis,but then when I played the arcade version later on and it really blew my mind! Can't go back to the Genesis version anymore after that.  ? I love the bonus round where you can shootup a supermarket full of aliens.

I have never played Alien Syndrome but the supermarket bonus round reminds me of Alien Storm. ?

1 hour ago, roots.genoa said:

I have never played Alien Syndrome but the supermarket bonus round reminds me of Alien Storm. ?

Oh wait actually I was talking about that game afterall. I got the names confused. Both games are also made by Sega. Love Alien Storm.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, lushgirl_80 said:

Oh wait actually I was talking about that game afterall. I got the names confused. Both games are also made by Sega. Love Alien Storm.

I also have a soft spot for Alien Storm, since it's a kind of futuristic sequel to Golden Axe. :)

But when I think about Alien Storm, I think about its manual. At the time, SEGA instruction manuals in Europe were awful compared to the ones produced by Nintendo. They had no color and featured like 8 different languages - 4 on each page. But the translations were bad in a Google Translation kind of way, and Alien Storm's manual was hilariously bad. Basically they constantly translated "aliens" by "étrangers" in French which means "strangers" but this word is mostly used for "foreigners" (I know "aliens" can mean "foreigners" in English too, but it doesn't seem to be as 'problematic'). Because of that the whole manual is involuntarily offensive to the point of being funny (at least to me), stating for example that the player should "beware the foreigners that can hide in almost everything (letterbox, trash can, etc.)". ?

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

But when I think about Alien Storm, I think about its manual. At the time, SEGA instruction manuals in Europe were awful compared to the ones produced by Nintendo. They had no color and featured like 8 different languages - 4 on each page. But the translations were bad in a Google Translation kind of way, and Alien Storm's manual was hilariously bad. Basically they constantly translated "aliens" by "étrangers" in French which means "strangers" but this word is mostly used for "foreigners" (I know "aliens" can mean "foreigners" in English too, but it doesn't seem to be as 'problematic'). Because of that the whole manual is involuntarily offensive to the point of being funny (at least to me), stating for example that the player should "beware the foreigners that can hide in almost everything (letterbox, trash can, etc.)". ?

Too bad they didn´t translate the name of the game in the same way. :)

The worst example of a game I didn´t know was an arcade game was probably "Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles II: The Arcade Game". I didn´t know at the time that arcade-machines were called arcade-machines...

Edit:

The turtles were annoyingly called Hero instead of Ninja in Europe. Ninja was too violent or something.

Edited by Lord Mushroom
  • Haha 2