IGNORED

Top 10 Worst Games on the 2600 (In my Opinion)

Atariperson23

19 minutes ago, BydoEmpire said:

I used to think that based on Airlock... but a few years back I got "Encounter at L-5" and "Warplock" and I actually enjoy both of them.  Neither is a great game, but IMHO they redeemed Data Age in my eyes.  I go back to both periodically.  Of course YMMV, I can see why most of their catalog would be on your list ;)

Back in the day (Errr BITD for you Internet guys)...I bought Frankenstein's Monster on a whim and it became my favorite game for quite a while.   To this day I think it's Brilliant!

• Like 1

I don't think I ever bought any truly awful games for the 2600. One that gets far more love than it deserves is Smurf. My God that game was infuriating back in the day. And then there was Riddle of the Sphinx. I sold my CIB copy a few years back because it was the weakest game in my meagre collection. Wish I hadn't sold it now though as I love those Imagic boxes.

1 hour ago, Atariperson23 said:

Speaking of which, I wonder what the 10 worst PAL games would be...

Unfortunately many terrible PAL games also had NTSC releases from the likes of Panda, ZiMAG, Froggo, and Zellers, with many (even) smaller companies like K-Tel Vision and Ultravision releasing incredibly rare and hard to find games in the NTSC format. If one really wants to dredge to bottom of the barrel then they can go through the Taiwan Cooper bootlegs and find many games not released officially in NTSC, they can also be found on the many South and Central American releases where copyright wasn't enforced as tightly. One can easily find most all the releases by Bit Corporation in these forms. 

If you want to see some games that can't easily be found in NTSC territories I'd recommend going through Atarimania 

Some publishers that are definitely worth looking into though are:

• Bit Corporation
  • Hertie/Quelle/Rainbowvision: Very similar libraries of games
  • ITT Family Games/Homevision
  • Technovision
  • Hi-Score/Action Hi-Tech
  • The entirety of the Australian market just for the variety.

There's so much weird crap out there, you just need to dig deep enough to uncover it. 

1 hour ago, DoctorSpuds said:

Unfortunately many terrible PAL games also had NTSC releases from the likes of Panda, ZiMAG, Froggo, and Zellers, with many (even) smaller companies like K-Tel Vision and Ultravision releasing incredibly rare and hard to find games in the NTSC format. If one really wants to dredge to bottom of the barrel then they can go through the Taiwan Cooper bootlegs and find many games not released officially in NTSC, they can also be found on the many South and Central American releases where copyright wasn't enforced as tightly. One can easily find most all the releases by Bit Corporation in these forms. 

If you want to see some games that can't easily be found in NTSC territories I'd recommend going through Atarimania 

Some publishers that are definitely worth looking into though are:

• Bit Corporation
  • Hertie/Quelle/Rainbowvision: Very similar libraries of games
  • ITT Family Games/Homevision
  • Technovision
  • Hi-Score/Action Hi-Tech
  • The entirety of the Australian market just for the variety.

There's so much weird crap out there, you just need to dig deep enough to uncover it. 

Thanks a million! I'm currently investigating the PAL games, and will make a "bottom 10" list specifically dedicated to them when I have the time.

:)

13 hours ago, edladdin said:

Basic Math is not a game.  Its educational software.  It was MEANT to be arithmetic flash cards for practice and skill building.

Condemning Basic Math for being a terrible game is like condemning Excel for being the most boring game on your laptop.

Or criticizing a fish for being terrible at tree climbing.

Excel plays a very exciting game.

https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/2742/puerto-rico-evolver
pic75665.jpg

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Atariperson23 said:

The Channel F was that popular? I never knew about it until reading a book about consoles at college...

The only reason I ever saw one was my friend's parents scooped one up at a yard sale.  They got 3 games and we'd play them from time to time when we wanted a break from the VCS

8 hours ago, high voltage said:

Data Age: Frankenstein's Monster, Bermuda Triangle, Journey Escape, all three I find playable.

I agree. I enjoy all three of those games. I also liked the additional info that Data Age included with some of their games such as this sheet about the Bermuda Triangle.

bermuda_triangle_i_9.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I haven't been exposed to too many shovelware on the 2600 but out of my collection, the stuff I found bad were:

Pac Man: Not faithful to the original arcade version

Stellar Track: Is this even a game?

Spider Man: uhh... So what's the objective?

Riddles of the Sphinx: Lacks polish and originality.

Math Grand Prix: one of those edutainment games that's bad.

I also find Pitfall II annoying, but that's probably just because I'm bad at it.

Just now, bluejay said:

I haven't been exposed to too many shovelware on the 2600 but out of my collection, the stuff I found bad were:

Pac Man: Not faithful to the original arcade version

Stellar Track: Is this even a game?

Spider Man: uhh... So what's the objective?

Riddles of the Sphinx: Lacks polish and originality.

Math Grand Prix: one of those edutainment games that's bad.

I also find Pitfall II annoying, but that's probably just because I'm bad at it.

Nice. I like Pitfall II, though, although the original Pitfall for me is absolutely painful in every aspect.

1 minute ago, Atariperson23 said:

Nice. I like Pitfall II, though, although the original Pitfall for me is absolutely painful in every aspect.

I was so annoyed at Pitfall when I first fell through the opening and closing pit.

Edited by bluejay

Just now, bluejay said:

Excuse me for getting off topic here but the most annoying scorpion in gaming history is in Dungeons of Daggorath.

I think the most annoying thing in Pitfall is where you're about to get the very last treasure, when you've completed 255 screens, and the time runs out.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Atariperson23 said:

I think the most annoying thing in Pitfall is where you're about to get the very last treasure, when you've completed 255 screens, and the time runs out.

Yeah. I didn't think of the time limit. The most annoying thing in any game.