IGNORED

PoP Slicer sound, should we update it ?

rensoup

PoP slicer sound poll   

71 members have voted

1. 1. Should we update the slicer sound ?

• keep current one
    • new version 3
    • new version 4
    • new version 5
    • new version 6

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

On 4/19/2020 at 8:42 PM, rensoup said:

It's not that simple... Every sound has to be recorded as SAPR with Altirra, that alone is impossible to automate. then it's converted to LZSS. The soundbank then has to be rebuild (reassembled) and I have to make sure it fits in it's allocated space.

Oh, I thought you had a full RMT player routine incorporated in the code.

13 hours ago, rensoup said:

That's what the BBC version had, but I ripped it out because it took to much space for what it did... You also need an option when you start the game:

start to start with a clean save

continue to continue your saved game

and then the user wants a cheat mode anyway.

So it sounds more complicated and memory-demanding than simple level-skipper (e.g SHIFT+L), time-aside, it should make most people happy, the rest is up to the user to go to the level he reached last time, or to simply advance to further levels to witness beautiful PoP graphics on A8 ?

11 hours ago, Jacques said:

So it sounds more complicated and memory-demanding than simple level-skipper (e.g SHIFT+L), time-aside, it should make most people happy, the rest is up to the user to go to the level he reached last time, or to simply advance to further levels to witness beautiful PoP graphics on A8 ?

Well I'm not sure I got that right but yes a level/health select is the best compromise!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, emkay said:

About CPU consuming sounds. The most used sound might be the footstep. So it might be the best to do it short an in one channel, I guess? 

For duration yes shouldn't be too long, same as what is already in... Number of channels, like I said:

Footstep = 9        / each time the prince makes a step when running [2]

So 2 channels max but if you can do it in one channel, sure.

2 hours ago, emkay said:

Would be nice to see or hear what is wanted or recommended used by other platform versions.

? I have the PC samples if that's what you're asking for (there are tools to export them from the game)

7 hours ago, rensoup said:

So 2 channels max but if you can do it in one channel, sure.

I'd say, some "Leather sole" on some stone doesn't sound too complex.

slight noise and some hollow sounding is enough :)

7 hours ago, rensoup said:

? I have the PC samples if that's what you're asking for (there are tools to export them from the game)

Would be more efficient to have the sounds to compare them .

But , if people prefer some special FX from other platform PoP version, why not give it a try?

5 hours ago, emkay said:

Would be more efficient to have the sounds to compare them .

But , if people prefer some special FX from other platform PoP version, why not give it a try?

I'm still not sure what you're asking for... sounds from the apple2 ? bbc ? those are on github with the source code but they don't sound good anyway.

c64 ? not available...

37 minutes ago, Jacques said:

What could have already be heard in the demo, sounds good overall, probably there's no need for a revolution (all sounds changes).

If you say so?

Most FX are just some noise, no expression. That on a device that is the far most capable FX chip of it's time.

There is only one FX that fits well: It's when a door opens.

Also the "chords" need fixes. The vibratos kill everything.

btw:

Library expanding ;)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jacques said:

What could have already be heard in the demo, sounds good overall, probably there's no need for a revolution (all sounds changes).

Yes it does sound good that's why we're keeping it... and adding an extra sfx bank and letting everybody choose which one they want to hear... choice is good!

Edited by rensoup
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, rensoup said:

nice, so have you done all of the 19 in the list then ?

Some are missing. 

As I wrote above. The missing FX are those where I'm not sure how they should sound. 

There are FX not built in and others are played where not expected.

That's why I asked for the "ex"-samples ;=

3 hours ago, emkay said:

There are FX not built in and others are played where not expected.

That's why I asked for the "ex"-samples ;=

All the FX I listed are in the game except:

-FlashMsg = 16 (flashing text)

-Impaled = 14 (impaled on spikes, too short to be heard so I reused something else)

which ones are you talking about ?

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2020 at 8:46 PM, rensoup said:

PlateDown = 0    / when walking over a plate that activates a gate [3]

PlateUp = 1    / when walking over a plate that activates a gate [3]

GateDown = 2    / when a gate has finished coming down slowly (I think) [3] 

Splat = 5        / when falling from more than 1 row [3-4]

MirrorCrack = 6    / when going through the mirror (used only once in the game?) [4]

LooseCrash = 7        / a falling tile hitting the ground [2-3]

RaisingExit = 10    / after walking over the plate that opens the exit door [2]

SwordClash1 = 17    / when swords clash upper position, the most used sword sound [2-3]

SwordClash2 = 18    / when swords clash middle position [2-3]

19 hours ago, rensoup said:

All the FX I listed are in the game except:

-FlashMsg = 16 (flashing text)

-Impaled = 14 (impaled on spikes, too short to be heard so I reused something else)

which ones are you talking about ?

11 hours ago, rensoup said:

I give up, I have no idea what you're talking about. All the FX you listed play fine.

The problem why you don't understand it is the bias you have against me. An I know where it comes from.

Once again:

Particular in this thread it was 100% clear what it was about.

The sequence showed the graphics and the correct audio. So it was easy to get what gets a litte more out of the available hardware.

The other point is the "breaking Mirror" . I have no example how it should sound.

So the 9 FX in the upper post point to your question, if all FX have been done already.

Those 9 are not done yet because, information is missing.

3 hours ago, emkay said:

The other point is the "breaking Mirror" . I have no example how it should sound.

I don't know what the issue is here. While I really like your FX, as they sound defined and digi ("Alley Cat") like, I already pointed once out the location of the PC samples @rensoup provided:
https://atariage.com/forums/topic/298914-unicorns-season-prince-of-persia-for-the-a8/?do=findComment&comment=4439170

AFAIU if all samples are covered, it should be ok?!? (...and there is a "mirror.wav" inside...)

Edited by Irgendwer

4 hours ago, emkay said:

The problem why you don't understand it is the bias you have against me. An I know where it comes from.

The problem is your broken english... Looks like @adam1977 & @Irgendwer have trouble with it too.

4 hours ago, emkay said:

Looks like you've never played the game, the mirror is on level 4. I'm not going to spoil for those who don't want to know.

Solutions:

1.Use a placeholder sound

2.Play the 5 level Atari demo

3.Listen to the PC samples 

4.Watch a playthrough on youtube 

4 hours ago, emkay said:

Those 9 are not done yet because, information is missing.

I gave you all the info which you can verify by playing the 5 level demo

PlateDown = 0    / when walking over a plate that activates a gate [3]

What's missing?  All you have to do is walk over a plate to hear the sound

• Like 1

I am and I think this is the problem, he knows what he wants to say, but it's coming across in a way that's either arrogant or confusing for his fellow forum members. I don't know what the answer is really, maybe posting replies in his native tongue? ?

Before anyone shoots me down, I am trying to help ?

8 hours ago, Irgendwer said:

I don't know what the issue is here. While I really like your FX, as they sound defined and digi ("Alley Cat") like

Thanks.  It's always my goal to get the best out of the Atari.

, I already pointed once out the location of the PC samples @rensoup provided:

Thanks, but the link doesn't work for me.  Every time when it is about Prince of Persia, one of the Admins locks me out of the thread.

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/298914-unicorns-season-prince-of-persia-for-the-a8/?do=findComment&comment=4439170

AFAIU if all samples are covered, it should be ok?!? (...and there is a "mirror.wav" inside...)

... that's why your link doesn't work for me.