IGNORED

PoP Slicer sound, should we update it ?

rensoup

PoP slicer sound poll   

71 members have voted

1. 1. Should we update the slicer sound ?

• keep current one
    • new version 3
    • new version 4
    • new version 5
    • new version 6

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Hehe... The same dangerous ambient. 

Just the blades sound a bit rusty.

I have to admit that the "original" of the 1st. Video "doesn't hurt" , but it sounds more like a slamming Door with some brushes on it . 

There are other FX that needed Updates better. 

Reminder : FX are there to enhance what you get visually.  In a row of different FX, someone could equalize the volumes.

Not to say that the C64 guy of Rescue on Fractalus sounds like the fx in video 1 . 

Edited by emkay

btw: There was a cause for me to do that:

1. sword hits sword

2. runs toward wall

3. a "slicer" fx

4. what you like

5. got sword

6.  what you like

7. metal door moving

8. pick something

9. drinking

10. falling into the deep

11. hitting something ;)

The "cutter fx" I posted, just fit best to me.  It has the right danger sound and the imagination of what could happen ;)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, emkay said:

The "Slicer" is two metallic blades hitting each other . Coming from nowhere and leaving some "echo" sound. It has nothing to do with your linked videos. 

it's an example for the sound of a blade sliding in and can be reversed for going out, the sound of the flying blade has the ever so slight metallic sound when slicing a body part (like a neck)... since clearly there are experiments in all directions going on, this served it's purpose...

it sounds like the original (1) and (5) in some ways already.

the sound of the slicers sliding in and out certainly has most of the noise time involved, and the body getting dismembered (cut in half) make it kind of a Seminole part of the sounds if handled as such...

but hey if emkay can't see that well it must not be considered....

imho...

scrape in, scissor , scrape out

scrape in, steel clamp, scrape out

or if one dies body cut dampening, and grisly sounds  in the center of the cycle

which is why I picked the original, as nothing else save 5 came close..

Edited by _The Doctor__

52 minutes ago, _The Doctor__ said:

it's an example for the sound of a blade sliding in and can be reversed for going out, the sound of the flying blade has the ever so slight metallic sound when slicing a body part (like a neck)... since clearly there are experiments in all directions going on, this served it's purpose...

it sounds like the original (1) and (5) in some ways already.

the sound of the slicers sliding in and out certainly has most of the noise time involved, and the body getting dismembered (cut in half) make it kind of a Seminole part of the sounds if handled as such...

but hey if emkay can't see that well it must not be considered....

imho...

scrape in, scissor , scrape out

scrape in, steel clamp, scrape out

or if one dies body cut dampening, and grisly sounds  in the center of the cycle

which is why I picked the original, as nothing else save 5 came close..

Show me one PoP game version  where the graphics animation and sound FX point to what you were getting that. 

The blades are done to remind of shark teeth and the clapping sound is where they collide  (without something between ;) )

you say it's not a slicer, so now we move to a chomper and that's a problem as well. I really don't want to be like so many others and be down on you, but with that being said, I've finally done what I've been advised to do so many times and hadn't...  ignore is what I've just set in the panel...

it's a shame but it had to be done. Best of luck dearest emkay.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, _The Doctor__ said:

you say it's not a slicer, so now we move to a chomper and that's a problem as well. I really don't want to be like so many others and be down on you, but with that being said, I've finally done what I've been advised to do so many times and hadn't...  ignore is what I've just set in the panel...

it's a shame but it had to be done. Best of luck dearest emkay.

If that is the level you need to talk, yes, please ignore me in the future.

Btw: A Slicer is not necessarily scissors. It is mostly something that moves the cutting tool. It can rotate, it also can just "stomp" . It just has to be sharp enough.

Holy grief.

I must admit I still have a preference for the current one but...

..That doesn't mean there's no room for alternate versions. It's something I've been thinking about now that I've decided to go with 2SD/1DD disks which give 180KB of storage space instead of 128KB.

There may be plans for an alternate background graphics set and we could have alternate SFX banks too. The user would have the option to choose in the game.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, emkay said:

1. sword hits sword

2. runs toward wall

3. a "slicer" fx

4. what you like

5. got sword

6.  what you like

7. metal door moving

8. pick something

9. drinking

11. hitting something ;)

There's good stuff in there although not everything works for PoP. (Those shouting sounds would be great in Rick Dangerous )

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rensoup said:

I must admit I still have a preference for the current one but...

..That doesn't mean there's no room for alternate versions. It's something I've been thinking about now that I've decided to go with 2SD/1DD disks which give 180KB of storage space instead of 128KB.

There may be plans for an alternate background graphics set and we could have alternate SFX banks too. The user would have the option to choose in the game.

Up to you. I only make proposals

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rensoup said:

There's good stuff in there although not everything works for PoP. (Those shouting sounds would be great in Rick Dangerous )

The shouting. Doing vocals on a soundchip that doesn't support triangle waves is a bit of luck :)

I wonder if somedays the emulation is able reproduce the "volume overdrive" . This makes triangle waves possible.  Even if it is low at volume, it would build the base for a real voice reproduction. 

But here some different "shout" :)

• Like 3

18 hours ago, emkay said:

btw: There was a cause for me to do that:

1. sword hits sword

2. runs toward wall

3. a "slicer" fx

4. what you like

5. got sword

6.  what you like

7. metal door moving

8. pick something

9. drinking

11. hitting something ;)

The "cutter fx" I posted, just fit best to me.  It has the right danger sound and the imagination of what could happen ;)

I think they all sound really good, nice work ?