IGNORED

Switch 2 leaked.

Jeez I hope not. The switch is WAY to fragile and ungainly as is without an unneeded (and unwanted) second screen flopping around.

I know a switch 2 is coming, or at least a newer Nintendo console/handheld, I just hope this bit of clickbate hype is not it.

2 minutes ago, Video said:

Jeez I hope not. The switch is WAY to fragile and ungainly as is without an unneeded (and unwanted) second screen flopping around.

I know a switch 2 is coming, or at least a newer Nintendo console/handheld, I just hope this bit of clickbate hype is not it.

It's only been 3 years. Isn't it too early to start thinking about a new system?

If Nintendo despite blowing smoke about it for years being a console actually like many do see it as a handheld, then I'd put the 4year mark about time for some kind of an upgrade, or being put on notice of one.  The topic even if the title was parroting that asinine story on a site that should know far better, should never have been written as it's dumb.  Flimsy rumors don't merit that.  For all we know someone found some data mined info of firmware goodies, then someone else came up with an one of many patent ideas that cover Nintendo in case of scamming scum (like that one twat waffle company still trying to sue them over the Switch who continues to lose.)

They do need an upgrade, but not a sliver of one, but a decent pop up, still off spec from the PS5 generation but capable enough to still squeak out custom ports and also the usual mobile game conversions too without being the weakest link on that side.  Given what the TegraX1 evolved into under another name (I'm forgetting) that could be a more likely honest bare bones of what could go with it as it's compatible with the current system chipset, and it would remain cost effective.  Having a DS flap would be kind of ridiculous and non-sense as it would ruin their ability to play the hybrid system angle.

I agree a dual screen Switch would be strange, and I'm wondering if the idea behind it is not something like Wii U; instead of having to choose between docked and handheld mode, the system can display stuff on its screen and a secondary screen - aka the television. That way you can finally play Pac-Man VS with a single Switch, you can have maps on the Switch while the main game is on TV, etc. To me it would be the logical next step, the best of both worlds (Wii U and Switch).

It also reminds me of a very old Nintendo patent about autostereoscopic 3D, that nobody understood at the time because it mentioned two screens, so people thought it would somehow use both DS screens to display 3D, while in fact the two 'screens' were interlaced. ;) Being a huge fan of 3D, a 3DSwitch would be the perfect thing for me.  :)

• Like 1

im in the 'i want a switch with beefier internals and a longer-lasting battery' camp, along with a dock that isn't going to scratch the bejesus out of my screen if im not super careful docking it.  

i don't want to constantly hop between a small screen and a big screen to play a game.  :)

• Like 1

Ugh I don't like it but roots there has a weird potential point.  What if we're thinking two panels wrong, and they loved what the 3DS did for them and decides to double the power but cut it to shreds potentially by having another 3DS style setup with a 3D Switch?  I guess it wouldn't be all rotten, you could opt into using it or not, and if not, then you'll have that capability to use twice the power for some incredible bumps in game output quality.

• Like 1

My only question is how would this affect current Switch users? Would it be like the new 3DS where there are some exclusives or would it be a new system altogether? This is why I don't see it being 2 screened (if the rumors are true). Why do they say it's going to have 2 screens? Is it because the "b" and "d" are facing each other in the codename?

22 hours ago, Magmavision2000 said:

It's only been 3 years. Isn't it too early to start thinking about a new system?

As soon as one console gets released, they start working on designs for the next one. These things take time. But it's probably more a revision, like the Lite.

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

What if we're thinking two panels wrong, and they loved what the 3DS did for them and decides to double the power but cut it to shreds potentially by having another 3DS style setup with a 3D Switch?

I doubt it. They latched onto the 2DS pretty hard, and a lot of games ended up dropping 3D support completely.

Plus, they have that Labo VR thing, and they barely use it.

I would think the most sensible 2nd screen in 2020 is people's smartphones and tablets. For instance when editing a course in Super Mario Maker 2 on our tv, let us edit on our phone with touch controls when we're in-between testing it out with a Switch controller.

Nintendo barely ever gave a convincing reason for why we needed two screens with our games and I haven't read of gamers clamoring for the return of that concept, so I can't see them going back to that idea now. But here and there where a supplemental touch screen could be useful when gaming on our televisions, I think the devices we already own would be up to the task. 

And while Nintendo is incredibly hard to predict, I simply don't see what they'd gain from a dual screen Switch revision. The Switch has been a huge success and even in 2020 after several years on the market and on the verge of becoming even more obsolete technologically on the eve of the Xbox Series X and Playstation 5, it's still doing exceptionally well.

Nintendo isn't out to fracture that user base and risk their success with a brand new gimmick. I believe if we get a Switch revision, it will play it safe and in essence be the long rumored Switch Pro. More horsepower, better battery life, perhaps redesigned slightly to be better protected in people's existing docks, etc. Barring a major downturn in Nintendo's success, the eventual Switch 2 will also be more of the same. I'd bet on a substantial upgrade in power and full backwards compatibility with Switch software, rather than Nintendo risking what they built this generation on reinventing the wheel.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 3

Yes, I was talking about a Switch successor rather than a revision. To me a Switch "Pro" - I think "Pro" sounds stupid for something related to video games (except controllers for "pro gamers" of course) - would be just more powerful, fully compatible, with a 1080p screen to basically offer the same experience docked and handheld, and a better battery life (and hopefully better analog sticks ^^).

And don't mind my obsession with 3D. As you may have noticed from my profile pic, I was born with a severe difformity: two eyes instead of one. It made a big fuss in the French scientific community at the time. Because of that, I have this very rare condition called "binocular vision" that allows me to see real life in 3D, so I don't really like to watch flat stuff, especially films that capture real life and video games that were modelled in 3D in the first place. ;)

• Like 3

Nintendo already made a revision of the Switch; the Switch Lite. It seems unnecessary for Nintendo to make another revision unless they somehow found a way to make the system drastically better. Having dual screens is dumb as earlier Switch games won't support it. It'll be like playing GBA games on a DS. It'll probably be a successor to the Switch. It takes time to develop a system, and if they haven't started by now, they will have to rush to release the console along the PS5 and the Series X and become a flop.

On 4/21/2020 at 6:04 AM, digdugnate said:

this isn't necessarily part of a 'new switch', but while we're talking about this kinda stuff i'd like to see standard joycons made with an actual d-pad and not the directional buttons. oh, and better analog sticks like mentioned above.  ;)

Hori makes one with dad.

https://www.target.com/p/hori-nintendo-switch-left-d-pad-controller-super-mario/-/A-53776552?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&fndsrc=tgtao&CPNG=PLA_Electronics%2BShopping_Local&adgroup=SC_Electronics&LID=700000001170770pgs&network=g&device=c&location=1016895&ds_rl=1246978&ds_rl=1248099&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5IvO4fj86AIVuv_jBx2Z0wAmEAQYASABEgJ-pPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

On 4/19/2020 at 12:13 AM, Video said:

In the best scenario, Switch 2 or Switch Por could be an upgrade from Switch.

More likes New 3DS from 3DS.

On 4/21/2020 at 4:04 AM, digdugnate said:

this isn't necessarily part of a 'new switch', but while we're talking about this kinda stuff i'd like to see standard joycons made with an actual d-pad and not the directional buttons. oh, and better analog sticks like mentioned above.  ;)

I saw one at Target a while ago. It was this Zelda themed joy con that had a D-Pad. No wireless support, according to the box. It was also ripped open and there was nothing inside.