IGNORED

Zorro II

Yaron Nir

I saw somewhere back in the day that this game was under development.

i was very curious to see it had new levels and new actions and actually looked very promising .

is the game being written by someone from the AA community? Or atarionline community ?

anyone know what is the current status of the development ?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Rybags said:

Can't say I've heard the same.

Some of those Datasoft platform engine games were pretty good.

The great tragedy was Conan.  Good concept but too inefficient with too much slowdown which made it next to unplayable at times.

It would be interesting to optimize the sprites routine. Did anyone make a look into it?

Edited by Wilheim
Mispelling

Original release was Apple II and I just found out it was released coinciding with Arnold Schwarzenegger's movie of the same name.

Generally Apple II ports didn't use PMGs (and I don't think this does) and likely the schedule meant they didn't perform much optimisation.

No doubt with some extra Ram commitment thrown in the game could be made to run somewhat better.  But whether anyone wants to devote time to it?

Probably easier to run in emulation with a turbo CPU option enabled.

1 hour ago, Rybags said:

Can't say I've heard the same.

Some of those Datasoft platform engine games were pretty good.

The great tragedy was Conan.  Good concept but too inefficient with too much slowdown which made it next to unplayable at times.

Wasn't Goonies a Datasoft title?

17 minutes ago, Rybags said:

Original release was Apple II and I just found out it was released coinciding with Arnold Schwarzenegger's movie of the same name.

Generally Apple II ports didn't use PMGs (and I don't think this does) and likely the schedule meant they didn't perform much optimisation.

No doubt with some extra Ram commitment thrown in the game could be made to run somewhat better.  But whether anyone wants to devote time to it?

Probably easier to run in emulation with a turbo CPU option enabled.

This is one I would devote time to if I actually knew how to do it.  The colors are terrible in it as well. 

But would love a Zorro 2, I have close to completing the first game enough times that the music is one of those that will get stuck in my head for days... much like Pitfall 2

I thought they did more adventure platformers, but I think this is the list:

Conan, Bruce Lee, Zorro, The Goonies.

They do have a sort of similar, evolutionary feel about them (though Conan is somewhat primitive).  Zorro and The Goonies seem to add more gizmos to play around with.

Canyon Climber is from Datasoft also, but it's a pretty simple game and I doubt shares any game engine elements with the others.