IGNORED

Interesting Games

LHoffmanjr22

About 15 years ago I was given a Gen 2 Lynx console with a lot of games. Most of them are normal games, but then a few of them look like the ones in the picture below. Has anyone ever seen something like these? Do they have any value or significance? The only thing I found out is that Guardians is supposedly an unreleased game from Telegames, and I’m guessing the others are demo games meant for use at CES. They all still work in the Lynx console I have. Thanks! 

203ED940-C7EA-46FC-8B86-51654E2BD732.jpeg

• Like 6

I imagine people are going to be very interested if Guardians is in a playable state.

The game was never release and I have never see a ROM for it.

(It even had a cover art apparently)

6ClXZtNUsplQWM5XrFxMYdMK6tzOe5-hk7T7MLAv

The others are valuable for collectors only I guess.

Edited by LordKraken
  • Like 1

I don't know much about what you have there, but if I had to guess, these are at least physically unique, at limited to just a few made for previewing purposes.  For trade shows/coventions or maybe review copies for magazines?  I am not sure though.

Also, and someone else more experienced than me can confirm if this is a good idea or not, but you may want to get a piece of opaque tape over the chip that is missing a label.  Having the window exposed on the chip like that risks having the data corrupted/erased because UV light might get in.

1 hour ago, LordKraken said:

Ohh also, the one on the top right corner seems to be Daemon's gate. Here again the ROM does not seem to exist. So probably pretty valuable.

But Daemon's Gate has been available as a proto for decades from a number of sites, so value will be reduced unless this is greatly expanded from the alpha that's already been "released". I've never seen a proto for Storm over Doria, though, so that's the real prize here. Let's see some screen shots, please!

...and then Isee three proto carts for Basketbrawl. Ugh, did Atari really think this was a fab' choice for a CES demo???

Really cool finds!  Thank you for posting them here.  Any more information you can provide would be great, especially screenshots and/or videos of gameplay, if you have time.

Do you plan on keeping these, or would you be interested in selling any of them?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, davidcalgary29 said:

But Daemon's Gate has been available as a proto for decades from a number of sites, so value will be reduced unless this is greatly expanded from the alpha that's already been "released". I've never seen a proto for Storm over Doria, though, so that's the real prize here. Let's see some screen shots, please!

...and then Isee three proto carts for Basketbrawl. Ugh, did Atari really think this was a fab' choice for a CES demo???

Here’s a video of Storm over Doris loading up on the Lynx I have. 

19 minutes ago, PFG 9000 said:

Really cool finds!  Thank you for posting them here.  Any more information you can provide would be great, especially screenshots and/or videos of gameplay, if you have time.

Do you plan on keeping these, or would you be interested in selling any of them?

I’m not really looking to keep them, and would be interested in them going to someone who would appreciate them, whether they are played or part of a collection. There are a few more cards like

these that are unlabeled as well.

4 hours ago, LHoffmanjr22 said:

Here’s a video of Storm over Doris loading up on the Lynx I have. 

IMG_1547.MOV

Wow...how complete is this? Is it playable in any way? I'd heard that Guardians was only 10-15% complete by the time that the project was cancelled. 

Sign me up if you want to burn and sell copies of your protos! Except for Basketbrawl, of course...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, davidcalgary29 said:

Wow...how complete is this? Is it playable in any way? I'd heard that Guardians was only 10-15% complete by the time that the project was cancelled. 

Sign me up if you want to burn and sell copies of your protos! Except for Basketbrawl, of course...

I was able to pick a character and then didn’t go further. I can try more and see. At this point knowing that it’s unique I don’t want to do da,age before whatever is on there can be copied. 

7 hours ago, 4ever2600 said:

Would be interested in purchasing the lot and also making them available to anyone interested in small lots.  These should be available to everyone and not hoarded into a collection for decades more...

Certainly don’t want them sitting in a box for another 15 years. I had forgotten they were there until I was cleaning out closets. I would certainly be interested in selling them. Let me know how that would work for you. 

9 hours ago, LHoffmanjr22 said:

I was able to pick a character and then didn’t go further. I can try more and see. At this point knowing that it’s unique I don’t want to do da,age before whatever is on there can be copied. 

Wow! Well, if you can, I'd sell that one to Carl (Songbird), stat, so he can dump it for you. You've got something valuable to the Lynx community on your hands, and it would be great to see the content preserved. I'd love to see video of gameplay even if it ends up in the hands of some private collector who doesn't want to share the ROM. I'd hate to see it happen, but it's your game now. :)

In 2018, Lost Dragon reported a conversation with the game's developer, who said:

"I have no idea where the Knight Technologies assets ended up, as half the equipment was leased from Atari I believe and it went back to them and was auctioned off at some point in the mid to late 90's (some folks came across at least one group of development files - although I have no files myself). I have only a photo of a painting that was planned for the title screen sprite, and honestly very little else from that time (a few other photos from other games in development).

The version shown at CES was not playable, and I don't know of any press folks who had hands on a running version of the game. It's entirely plausible they were brought around the office at some time I wasn't there, but very few people would have seen a running version of the game by the time CES rolled around that year, it would have been talk, reading documents, and possibly a little video at the show - I don't remember if Telegames had access to the Composite video output or not (Atari did, of course)"

If true, and this is the CES version of Guardians, then this shouldn't be playable. But if you can select a character...hmm

• Like 1

Hi All,

Thanks for all the info and the offers to buy these. I really didn’t know I had anything that unique. Given the amounts that have been offered, I think I’m going to list these on eBay. I do this more to use a reputable site that can protect both myself and the buyer than anything else, though as someone who doesn’t know how much these might be worth and how much could be profited after I sell them, I think this is best. The listing will have the option to make offers as well as bid, and when I have that link I’ll post it on here if you’re all interested in me doing so. I do want the games to get into the hands of people who will enjoy them, but I don’t feel comfortable with making a transaction of this amount outside of a known format. 

If you are willing, you could send the carts to me before you put them on eBay. I can dump the ROMs from all carts as I have a ZIF socket EPROM reader and a Lynx cartridge reader; in fact, I've dumped numerous Atari carts that look exactly like yours. Then, if you don't want me to buy the carts directly, I would return them all to you at no charge. That way, the ROMs get preserved yet collectors can still buy the carts from you since these are a very unique piece of Atari history.

Feel free to PM me or email sales@songbird-productions.com if you'd like to discuss. I can also talk over Google Hangouts or via phone if you prefer. Thanks for your consideration!

Edited by Songbird
  • Like 5