IGNORED

Interesting Games

LHoffmanjr22

1 hour ago, gambler172 said:

,Although Guardians is not playable....would be great to see it ?

"I was able to pick a character and then didn’t go further." If the games isn't playable what did he mean by this? I wish he would have put more footage up. 

• 2 weeks later...

So folks, here it is!

This is the easiest way for EVERYONE to have access to the prototypes with a minimum investment.  This means you do not need to have a multicart (although eventually you will be able to use them on one) I have them for sale at my website and one year from now or whenever sales meet or exceed my purchase price (whichever comes first), I will release all of the dumps into the wild.

I don't think I am charging all that much for them.  They "playability" varies WILDLY amongst them.  Some are almost completed games, some are just proofs of concept.  I have tried to identify which is which in the descriptions on the site.  I will post more screenshots and videos as I have time, but I need to finish building customer machines and installing upgrades.  People were kind of chomping at the bit to get more information, so I pushed on the gas a little bit on this one.

I am fully aware that once these leave my hands, someone could dump them and post them from here to kingdom come.  I mean, I would hope that they could wait a bit so that--in the future--should an opportunity like this happen again, I can again make sure they are available to everyone in the community to play on real hardware (and, eventually on emulation and multicarts and cigar box banjos).

I am also aware that some may disagree with my motives, process, hairstyle, and/or choice of deodorant, and they are fully entitled to have that opinion.  I did what I thought was the best thing for all concerned and went with it.  

So, here is the link:  https://thebrewingacademy.com/collections/atari-lynx They are not all up yet and the pictures could be brighter, but you get the drift.  The prices will range from $20-$30 each and a deal if you buy all of them.  For example, the BattleZone demo is, well, not even a demo so far as I can tell.  I would put it more at proof of concept.  It will be $20.

Thanks!

7PEAh.jpeg

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, djrodderz said:

Thank you

Is it possible to estimate where these carts are (production wise) in relation to the actual releases (of the ones that were released)

I've jumped the gun a little there in all the excitement :) I can see you've provided a little description on your site of each one.

2 hours ago, 7800 2 said:

How complete is Daemonsgate? Is it different from the other prototype versions?

Sorry, could not tell you right now.  I haven't played the others extensively and I have played this one even less.  It seems very complete, but I cannot say for sure.

26 minutes ago, davidcalgary29 said:

This is great news! Is there an option for ordering a boxed cart?

Not for the foreseeable future.  I have been wanting to get boxes produced for other things i sell as well and have yet to get a vendor.  It's always a possibility, but I don't see that happening for months if not longer.

-M

• Like 1

5 hours ago, djrodderz said:

I've jumped the gun a little there in all the excitement :) I can see you've provided a little description on your site of each one.

heh.  Yes!  I will add to those descriptions as I find time.  I can see some of you have already purchased some even as I was just putting the finishing touches on the site!  I will get these out this week.  ENJOY!

13 hours ago, MacRorie said:

...I have them for sale at my website and one year from now or whenever sales meet or exceed my purchase price (whichever comes first), I will release all of the dumps into the wild...

I was looking at buying Daemonsgate and Guardians until I realized what was going on here.

I have no problem at all with someone buying a prototype, releasing the rom, and providing a service of making carts available for those who want to have it in physical form. There are always plenty of people who are willing to buy in that situation (including me).  However, when someone says they won’t release the rom until they’ve recouped their “investment” from the prototype purchase, that just seems dirty to me. That’s literally, just saying that you want the community to buy the prototypes for you while you still have the prototypes with the inherent value they hold to prototype collectors.  At that point I have to walk away and say no thanks.  It’s why I’ve never bought Pounce from Video61 (although I don’t know the full story behind that one and whether Lance has the rights).  If the rom was available I would have bought it years ago.  I’ve bought Marlboro Go and Road Riot 4WD to have them physically rather than just playing in an emulator.  And no, I’m not saying, “but I want muh free romz”.  I know I don’t have a “right” to the roms any more than anyone else.

14 hours ago, MacRorie said:

...I don't think I am charging all that much for them.  They "playability" varies WILDLY amongst them.  Some are almost completed games, some are just proofs of concept...

This is also part of why I have to say no.  The price of $20 or $30 for what amounts to curiosities (just less complete versions of released games, or incomplete basically unplayable demos) seems like a waste of money to me for things that are best suited for trying in an emulator for a minute or two (for most ppl) or on a flash cart.  Again, except for people who like to have repros of protos in their collection, and there are plenty of these people.  The protos don’t need to be held ransom.

15 hours ago, MacRorie said:

...I am fully aware that once these leave my hands, someone could dump them and post them from here to kingdom come.  I mean, I would hope that they could wait a bit so that--in the future--should an opportunity like this happen again, I can again make sure they are available to everyone in the community to play on real hardware (and, eventually on emulation and multicarts and cigar box banjos)...

Again, sounds like you’re saying next time prototypes are up for sale, you’ll bid or buy, but won’t make them available to the community unless you’re guaranteed the community buy them for you.  No thanks.  I can bid on the prototypes too and not hold them ransom to the community, especially this one which is so kind and generous. This isn’t a community of entitled kiddies, like some outside of AA.  Everyone I know of in the Lynx community is very kind and likes to help each other out.

14 hours ago, MacRorie said:

...I am also aware that some may disagree with my motives, process, hairstyle, and/or choice of deodorant, and they are fully entitled to have that opinion.  I did what I thought was the best thing for all concerned and went with it...

Yes, you said going into this that you’d make the roms available to the community and sounded like you had good intentions. 

Best for all concerned is essentially what’s best for you — Free legitimate prototypes for your collection.  I was going to try to be as inoffensive as possible when I started this post, but the more I talk about it, the more it bothers me. Maybe next time I’ll be sure to be the one to make the purchase so I can actually do something for the Lynx community and release them to everyone, while making a physical service available for those who want it, rather than just trying to pad my proto collection for free.

Bottom line: In the end, they’re just games. If I wake up tomorrow without this variant of Daemonsgate (or any other game), I’m no worse off than today.  It’s not worth sacrificing my integrity or taking advantage of the generous people in the Lynx community.  That’s what i believe you’re doing — taking advantage of us.  I hope that’s not your intention and maybe you just temporarily fell into a different point of view.

I’m more than happy to pay someone for the service of making a physical cartridge at a reasonable price (and would have gladly paid you for one or two of these), but I do NOT support buying legitimate prototypes for other people’s collections who hold the roms ransom.  I think this is a dirty practice that is all too common and should be shunned by the community rather than embraced.

• Like 1

Well, look what happened with XE Xenophobe -- that was a terrible thing to see.

I really do see both sides here, but the point is that it's a miracle that someone didn't buy this lot, pack it away in their Lynx tchochke shelf, and refuse to release it to the rest of us...under any terms. I have no problem paying the price to play now, and MacRorie's indicated, unlike most people that he's going to release the ROMs for free. This is a win for all of us.