IGNORED

Jaguar Sound Issue

David Maihöfer

Hy there. I got my very first Jaguar today. Hooked it up and it seem to work fine. Can't test much because I currently have no controller. Now comes the strange part. The start up screen has sound but is missing the growl when the Logo comes up. The music in the startup plays fine tough. Cybermorph starts up with sound effects but no music an no voice samples. 

What could be my problem? I am aware that the game could have mutet the sound by the previous owner but the partial missing sound seems fishy!

17 minutes ago, LinkoVitch said:

How are you connecting it to TV? might be one channel isn't connected properly, or the TV isn't mixing Stereo to Mono well

It's connected with an RGB Cable (self-made by someone who owned the console before). Tested it on 2 TVs. Both times the result was the same! Thought about the cable beeing faulty. But before I invest in another one I thought I check if it's a known issue. 

So it turns out the problem isn't much of a problem. Hooked the bad boy up on my CRT with an old RF Cable....ROAR! Then i tried the RGB Cable on the CRT....ROAR! Seems that both HD TVs I own (Samsung, Philips) don't like the Jag! Or....and this is me guessing a lot..... they actually need a certain time to show the picture and the growl is already gone! Either way....it's a TV Problem and not a Jaguar Problem ?! Thanx for helping me out tough!

Now I can't wait for my controller, Tempest 2000 and Kasumi Ninja to show up. It's finally time for me to play some JAG ?!

• Like 2

If your RGB cable connection to the TV is via a SCART connector it may be worth checking the menu options of your TV to see if it that AV input has a mono/stereo selection option. As Zerosquare indicated the Roar is mono so it would only appear on either the Left or Right audio channel, thus if the TV is set for mono audio from that input it it may only be taking the audio input form the audio channel that does not have the roar which is why you cannot hear it.

If the audio connection is via Phono (RCA) connectors I would expect you to get audio from both channels unless the TV is faulty, so if you are connecting the audio using Phono connectors try reversing the connections (plugging left into right), if you then get the roar then you know the TV is only picking up the one audio channels. 

Some HD TV sets also have a Gaming setting, although that usually only help compensate for a lag between the video and audio and is unlikely to solve an absence of audio issue.

Some manufacturers are a bit lazy and cheap considering the minor additional cost and do not necessarily implement the full range of SCART inputs signals on their devices, so if your RGB connection is via SCART it may be that the second audio channel is not implemented (sometimes this can be indicated by a visual lack of any contacts for the appropriate pin) which is could explain why you are not getting some of the sounds.

There is not a lot of room inside a SCART connector but what you could do to get the sound from both channels on your HD TV is to disconnect the wires for the Left & Right audio channels from their SCART pins, solder them each to one end of individual 510 or 680 ohm resistors (put sleeving or some tape around the join to prevent shorting), twist the other legs of the two resistors together and then solder them to one of the audio pins on the SCART connector. If you get no sound you have probably connected the resistors to the audio channel your TV is not picking up so try connecting to the other audio pin.

However if you do make this modification to your cable you should be aware that...

1) There is a small but unlikely chance of damaging the Jaguar or TV.

2) You will no longer have stereo sound when using that cable even on equipment that has stereo inputs as you have now effectively wired the cable for mono sound.

• Thanks 1

So I've tried again on one of my HD TVs....this time I hooked it up via RCA. And the ROAR was there. So i decided to give the RGB Scart another try. And yeah....it's exactly as I tought. The TV takes longer to process the Input and if I listen closely with I could hear the end of the "ROAR"! (It was also obvious that the "Jaguar" logo was shown for a shorter amount of time) I guess the inputs on both systems just take long to process the Signal! So it's not a form of Lag. 

Thank all of you for the tips tough. It's rare for a newbie to be so welcomed in a forum ?! So thanks a lot...

Greetings from Germany

• Like 1