IGNORED

vcs adapter question

bradhig1

the adapter is a 2600 unit so it would work with everything ,hopefully it will work with your 5200

realize you need to use 2600 controllers and be careful hitting the switches while 5200 is on because it can loose connection if your slot is slightly dirty or loose

Technically Space Shuttle requires use of the BW/Color switch to enable the OMS burn. But I found out in using a 7800 to play the game back in the late 80s that you can use the emergency OMS burn using one of the difficulty switches instead. I always thought it was interesting that this was enabled in the game because there weren't alternate options for the other things in that game. Almost like Activision knew that in the future, there might be 2600s or some variant without the BW/Color switch and so added in the secondary option?

2 minutes ago, -^CrossBow^- said:

Technically Space Shuttle requires use of the BW/Color switch to enable the OMS burn. But I found out in using a 7800 to play the game back in the late 80s that you can use the emergency OMS burn using one of the difficulty switches instead. I always thought it was interesting that this was enabled in the game because there weren't alternate options for the other things in that game. Almost like Activision knew that in the future, there might be 2600s or some variant without the BW/Color switch and so added in the secondary option?

I noticed this same behavior with Starmaster on my 7800, also by Activision.  I haven't decided if it's the game that does this, or the 7800 is doing some kind of trick to simulate the color/BW switch through the difficulty switches.  It would be interesting to find out the what's really going on here.  Playing around with a non-Actiivision game that needs that switch on the 7800 would be enlightening, but I don't have one to test.

29 minutes ago, AverageSoftware said:

I noticed this same behavior with Starmaster on my 7800, also by Activision.  I haven't decided if it's the game that does this, or the 7800 is doing some kind of trick to simulate the color/BW switch through the difficulty switches.  It would be interesting to find out the what's really going on here.  Playing around with a non-Actiivision game that needs that switch on the 7800 would be enlightening, but I don't have one to test.

Starmaster can be done a few ways. I think you can also press the fire button on the second controller to bring up the star chart if memory serves? I also know that it will go back to the star chart on its own after clearing out a sector of enemies and I think that is usually how I play it. Space shuttle is different though. They specifically designed the player 1 difficulty switch to act as a backup for firing the OMS engines. But that is the only item you control in the game that you can do that with. Again, it is like Activision knew that the Color/BW switch might not be a thing on future revisions and decided to implement an alternate way to activate them. It is on the overlay though not mentioned in the manual as I recall.

*** Could it be they were already aware of the Sears Arcade II A.K.A. the 2800?

On 4/16/2020 at 8:15 PM, sramirez2008 said:

My VCS adapter doesn’t like my actual 2600 Pitfall cart, but I have a Pitfall ROM on my Harmony cart and it works fine. Can’t recall where I got the ROM from.

01608B42-5F28-4BEA-8350-A61DEC298FC4.jpeg

Nice setup there, BTW where can I get the ROM for RoboMechnik from, I didn't know about that game. Thanks.

BTW I also own a 2-port 5200 and a VCS adapter for her also but currently play my 2600 games (almost 700 of them on ROM) on my Flashback 9 because of its HDMI output, I have plans to re-acquire the Harmony Encore multicart, I sold my original one last year due to unemployment but have now worked at Safeway for over a year now so I can afford to get it back, that will be after I get my Donald Trump $1,200.00 in free money (earlier just 2 weeks ago I reacquired my Atarimax 5200 Ultimate SD multicart) so I am almost finished decorating my new apartment for its WORLD PREMIERE for all of my fans on my official BIGHMW TV YouTube channel (address in my signature) on May 6th, after Gov. Jay Inslee (D - WA) lifts the "Stay At Home, Stay Healthy" order then. ENJOY!!!

13 hours ago, bradhig1 said:

I noticed some a/v modded 5200s on ebay won't work with the vcs adapter because of the mod why would the mod keep it from not working?

Most AV mods rely on the circuitry for the GTIA and don't mix the composite video and audio signals from the cartridge port, which is how the CX55's video and audio are passed through to the 5200. I *think* the simple transistor-based AV mod might work as (IIRC) it takes the composite video signal before it hits the RF modulator, but I'm not sure if anyone has tried the two together.

1 hour ago, Mitch said:

It would need to be set up in a similar way to the 7800 AV mod as far as mixing the tia audio and video into the mod.

Mitch

Well, the audio part might be trickier, but as there is already a TCol that isn't normally used on the UAV in a 5200 install, would that work the same in regards to the TIA? Although I know that is only the colorburst signal and not the entire things but curious...

Not sure, it may work but if the UAV is only expecting a chroma signal it may not pass through the luma portion. It probably wouldn't hurt to test it.

For the audio portion I would use the same two resistor method as the 7800. It is the same two signals. The values may need to be adjusted but since they won't be playing at the same time the balance is not quite as critical.

Mitch