IGNORED

Back Yard Football (2600 ) RC-9

easmith

8 minutes ago, chewy said:

i haven't made a left point yet :( i mean im loving the attemps- this is a REALLY well layed out football game- but i mean i have to try n throw the ball to my guy and complete it to make a point on the left?  i hear like a beep sometimes that sounds good or a plunk-type sound that sounds "bad" when i dont complete at all, but i dont know if im throwing to the wrong guy or what but i havent made a left point yet.  It has less to do w/ your programming and more to do with my inability to succeed in anything, but as i said im having a lot of fun with this one still.  

you have to score a touchdown to score a point in the one player game

the " buzzer"  sound means you threw an interception,  and you start over at the goal line.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, chewy said:

if you had made this in 1982 you would be cleaning up at on the retro gaming circuit lectures by now my guy ;)

thanks!  that is exactly the feel I am going for in all of my games ( basically because that's all I can do :) ) 

1 hour ago, easmith said:

I hope you don't think running is too easy . I think it is almost just right , where it is not too frustrating but you can't score every time .

No not to easy, I think i've just found  a good pattern to beat the computer. I place receiver on the outside route, send him deep, and immediately start rolling opposite way. If my defender goes to help on receiver I keep going with the roll and run on the diagonal to the sideline and can pick up 15-20 yards. If he doesn't help, rolling to the opposite side of the receiver leaves a cross field lane open to nail the receiver with the fast pass and pick up half the field. Need to change the side of the field the receiver is on every time to not get sacked. I just go with what the defense is giving me. That approach seems to work well and key is running on a diagonal as much as you can as the defenders can't catch up as well when running on the diagonal.

Thanks for giving scheme 3 a try. I love the look of the field that way, but with the white football it makes me feel like rugby or soccer to much. So I"ll go with the scheme 2, lighter grass, dirt numbers, and leather brown football.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chewy said:

i haven't made a left point yet :( i mean im loving the attemps- this is a REALLY well layed out football game- but i mean i have to try n throw the ball to my guy and complete it to make a point on the left?  i hear like a beep sometimes that sounds good or a plunk-type sound that sounds "bad" when i dont complete at all, but i dont know if im throwing to the wrong guy or what but i havent made a left point yet.  It has less to do w/ your programming and more to do with my inability to succeed in anything, but as i said im having a lot of fun with this one still.  

Hey Chewy give my approach a try in the post above and I'm sure you'll be putting up some points soon. My best game is winning 10-3. I was up 9-0 and I thought I was going to shut them out 10-0, but I fumbled on the next attempt.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, intergalactic419 said:

No not to easy, I think i've just found  a good pattern to beat the computer 

thanks .  This is what I don’t want ! 
I will try to tweak the AI a bit more . Tough to get the balance just right .  
I might make the corner a bit better at not letting the receiver get by him every time

7 minutes ago, chewy said:

so when you throw a successful pass control will switch to your other guy and you can take him for a touchdown?

Yes. And when you cross the goal line the screen will flash indicating a touchdown. In fact as soon as you release the ball as the quarterback you can start controlling the path of the receiver. I find it's best to lead the receiver for a successful deep pass. Meaning roll out to pass, then when he is starting to break free hit the space bar. which allows you to then move the target. Put it further down the field. Then release when timing is right. Do not wait for him to get to the target, it is most likely a dropped pass if you wait for him to arrive at the target before throwing. He catches it better when on the run to the target.

• Thanks 1

Ok. This is pretty much the way I want it .

Changes :

1.  fixed glitch where pressing button to start selected first play formation

2. adjusted the AI corner to be a little better .

3.  TV Type   B&W = white numbers/ ball

TV Type   Color =   brown numbers / ball

Here is manual again

**********************************************************************************************************

Controls :

1 Player Game-- P0 difficulty B ( novice)
2 Player Game-- P0 difficulty A ( pro) 

TV Type B&W = white field marks , Color= Brown field marks

1 player Game:

Player is controls offense only.
Player Wins if Scores 10 touchdowns before is stopped by CPU 20 times.

PRE- SNAP

1. Select Formation:
 Pull down on stick to toggle formations
 When desired formation is selected , press button.  Score will turn gray.

2.  Select route 
 When route is selected score will turn yellow.   You can change . last direction registered before snap 
There are 8 base  routes  ( the "route tree") , but can modify by throwing to any spot and then moving receiver to spot . 
up = streak   ( go route) 
up + diagonal  = flag  or post depending on formation 
left or  right = deep out or  deep in depending on formation
down + left or right = quick   in or quick out depending on formation 
down = quick stop ( for receiver screen and hand offs)
3. snap ball by pressing button
4.   After snap , QB can be moved.
If QB crosses line of scrimmage , can no longer pass  , but is a runner
QB cannot run after 2 seconds or you lose a down.

5. To pass :
  There is a " 5 mississippi "  pass clock .  You will be sacked if you do not throw or run by this time  ( meter below scores).
  This is a two-press pass mechanic.
  1. press button to activate pass target ( the target will start on top of the receiver ).
      you will no longer be able to move the QB.
  2.  move target to desired location.
  3.  tap button for  soft pass.   Hold button for fast pass ( for now same accuracy). 
  4.   after pass, you can control receiver .    Receiver will run predetermined route unless you are actively moving him.
  5.  Contact ball to catch ( ball  can go over your head if it is "large") . 
6. Runners can "run over " tacklers .
7. offensive player without ball will block 

First Downs :
There is one first down at midfield ( white line) .
 Down is indicated by a number instead of the safety before formation is selected .

Fumbles:

Runner can fumble. This is considered a stop by the defense (offense cannot recover fumble).

AI Defense:
There are 3 defense plays :  
Zone
man to man
safety blitz
AI can intercept pass 

2 Player Game:

P1 controls yellow team .

Defensive player controls SAFETY only. AI controls corner.

PRE - SNAP defense.

push joystick down to toggle through safety being short or deep .
PRESS Button when safety position is set ( score will turn yellow or red ) .

Offense cannot select play until defensive position set.

BLITZ :

Defense has one blitz (rush quarterback) per  4 downs. Use it wisely.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, easmith said:

...caught a glitch where pass to a certain spot in deep seam was not being caught ...

Much better.  I actually scored a touchdown for the 1st time.  I must have been throwing to that spot a lot because I was almost never catching it even when it looked like it should.

Btw, amazing how you put this together so fast.  Seems like you just started it and already complete?  wow.

On 4/29/2020 at 12:12 PM, easmith said:

I think " Backyard Football" is the best name.    But this is a backyard that has been marked with numbers !   Rich kids :)

Now that the field is marked in brown numbers the rich kids with white numbers painted on the field comment made me laugh. Now you have an average kids field too haha. We'd take our cleats or shoes and kick up the grass to mark yards or boundaries. So I'm visualizing those brown numbers as cleated out grass.

Not sure if it's a bug and would be extremely difficult for me to replicate, but I threw a deep pass and was brought down on the goal line. Next play I snapped the ball and it immediately signaled touchdown without doing anything.

Is this going to be released on a cart? Thanks for the game its fun!

5 hours ago, KevinMos3 said:

Much better.  I actually scored a touchdown for the 1st time.  I must have been throwing to that spot a lot because I was almost never catching it even when it looked like it should.

Btw, amazing how you put this together so fast.  Seems like you just started it and already complete?  wow.

cool glad you like it.    I just try to keep it simple !

1 hour ago, intergalactic419 said:

Not sure if it's a bug and would be extremely difficult for me to replicate, but I threw a deep pass and was brought down on the goal line. Next play I snapped the ball and it immediately signaled touchdown without doing anything 

Probably has to do with where the ball is reset after the play .  After you snap the ball the ball also is moved to a different height on the QB and it might then cross line .  Think of it as the QB reaching ball over goal line ?.  But I’ll look at it 

2 hours ago, intergalactic419 said:

Is this going to be released on a cart? Thanks for the game its fun!

At some point yes . Probably in June or July I’m guessing  . I appreciate that someone enjoys playing it other than me!

was really bugging me that I couldn't play a regular game as 1 player.

So I am  fine tuning a computer AI offense .

Default game will be this option.

2 player head to head and 1 player offense only vs. AI defense will still be options.

update soon....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Updates 5-6-20:

--  Default game is now 1 player vs computer first to 35 points ( 5 touchdowns).

You can only rush the AI QB once per 4 downs

Game options:

P1 ( RIGHT) Diff A(Pro)  = 2 player head to head

P1 ( RIGHT ) Diff B ( Novice) = 1 player

IF Right DIFF = B, then 

P0 ( LEFT) Diff B (novice) = 1 player game vs AI to 35

P0  (LEFT) Diff A ( pro) = 1 player game offense only vs. AI defense  as before

Thanks to Intergalactic419 for valuable testing and fedback

• Like 1

thanks so much-- to understand further, on a light 6'r one player, do i, or do i not have to flip the left and/or right difficulty to B to play one player?

is P1 left and P0 right, or vice versa? thanks so much

Edited by chewy

17 minutes ago, chewy said:

thanks so much-- to understand further, on a light 6'r one player, do i, or do i not have to flip the left and/or right difficulty to B to play one player?

is P1 left and P0 right, or vice versa? thanks so much

I edited the previous post

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, chewy said:

ahh thank you-- so right diff B, with options for novice or pro via left diff B or A. 

left difficulty just controls game mode. 1 player offense only ( A) or  regular game ( B) . Actual  game difficulty is no different

• Thanks 1