IGNORED

Plot and Flickering in Action!

Hi all,

I've been playing with Action! and created this small program where a little ship travels from left to right on screen. The ship is made of 3x5 pixels with the following shape:

X
 X
 XX
 X
X

And this is the program:

byte WAIT_SYNC=$D40A,       
      VCOUNT=$D40B           

proc plotShip(byte x,y,c)   
   color=c                   
   plot(x+1,y)               
   plot(x+1,y+1)             
   plot(x+2,y)               
   plot(x+1,y-1)             
   plot(x,y-2)               
   plot(x,y+2)               
 return                      

proc eraseShip(byte x,y,c)  
   color=c                   
   plot(x-1,y-2)             
   plot(x,y-1)               
   plot(x-1,y+2)             
   plot(x,y+1)               
   plot(x,y)                 
 return    

proc main()                         
   card i,r,J                        

graphics(7+16)                    
   setcolor(4,0,0) ;black background 
   setcolor(0,4,8) ;pink             
   setcolor(1,7,8) ;lt.blue          

for i=2 to 150                    
   do                                
     plotShip(i,40,1) ;DRAW     
     do until vcount&128 od          
     eraseShip(i,40,0) ;ERASE  
   od                                
   ; pause                           
   for i=0 to 32767 do od            

return                                                

What I noticed is that if I remove the line waiting for VCOUNT in the main loop, the ship travels with the correct shape but flickering a lot. I was expecting the flickering because I am drawing and erasing the ship in the same loop even considering my erase function is intended to erase the trace the ship would "leave" behind.

Then I thought I would add the VCOUNT loop to wait for the vertical line would reach the end of the screen to then erase the ship. My assumption was that I'd draw in one frame, and erase in the other, and that would make the animation smoother. (As I write this I feel I am wrong :| ) . Anyways, what I see on screen is indeed less flickering but the animation is more "jittery" and leaving a small trace, as if the ship is twice as wide.

What I am missing here? Is there a better way to do something similar (without using PMG) as my idea is to illustrate the basic built-in graphic functions in action.

Thanks

The OS plot routine is slow regardless of language in use.  Finding a VCount sweet spot might be possible but likely not work for the full screen range, be inconsistent PAL/NTSC and maybe be speed inconsistent as well.

One thing that can help (sort of) is keep "old x/y" then plot "new x/y" then immediately erase "old" (but first test that new is different to old)

The tradeoff is you might then have a trail rather than flicker.

Or better idea - just use a custom plot routine.  Without too much effort a table-based plot routine should be 2-3 times quicker than the OS one.

Edited by Rybags

No he's not, the loop draws at xpos of I and then waits and then erases at I and then I is incremented, then repeat.

The pause is in-between the draw and erase and so only one ship is view, he just considered about a trail (which would occur if you incremented I before the erase and then draw at the same I)

As others have already covered, the slowness of the plot function is more than likely causing either screen tearing or flicking (e.g. if the time to erase & draw is exceeding 1 frame)

7 minutes ago, Wrathchild said:

No he's not, the loop draws at xpos of I and then waits and then erases at I and then I is incremented, then repeat.

The pause is in-between the draw and erase and so only one ship is view, he just considered about a trail (which would occur if you incremented I before the erase and then draw at the same I)

As others have already covered, the slowness of the plot function is more than likely causing either screen tearing or flicking (e.g. if the time to erase & draw is exceeding 1 frame)

If this was the case he could draw and erase with the same procedure by just changing the color as the coordinates would be the same.  But the coordinates in the erase proc are not the coords of the ship that has just been drawn, but are of the previously drawn ship.

To answer the questions about the two functions.

At first I was using the plot one calling twice, one with color 0, but then the results were not good, so I created the eraseShip plotting over the trail the ship would leave behind (therefore 5 points instead of 6). Again, this are just experiences and not suitable for a game, for example :)

Based on all the comments, looks like the OS plot routines are very slow and it would be hard to get better results while using them. Is it possible using fast plot functions to plot everything in one single frame?

Is the

do until vcount&128 od   

making any difference there at all, or just make it run slower?

Thanks again

Edited by pedgarcia
typos and more explanations.

it's already fast enough to do it in one frame if this is all you want to do, but doing much more would be difficult.  I tried to do 2 ships in FastBasic and ended up with flicker.

Even with one ship In FastBasic if you set Y to less than 38 then you start to get problems as there's not enough time to draw the ship.  The more you need to draw the lower down on the screen you'll need to put it.

Action may move things along a bit faster, but ultimatly you're restricted by the slow OS plot/draw functions.

Edited by Preppie

That makes totally sense. My intention was to illustrate the basic graphic capabilities, but maybe I should try something else instead. Or simplify it to the point where it makes sense to someone that knows nothing (almost like me:) )

Thanks again for all the input!

What is the theory behind soft sprites ? I would guess:

1 - save area where sprite will be placed 

2 - Place sprite ORd with background

When it moves:

3 - restore saved background done in #1

4 - Repeat 

Am I in the right track?

Thanks

Close - before 2 you perform AND with background which masks out the area the softsprite will appear at, an OR only operation could see target pixel 01 ORed with old pixel 10 giving value 11.

An alternate is XOR softsprites where the sprite is simply XORed with the background.  The restore occurs when you XOR back.  Advantage of more speed but disadvantage that weird colours can result.

More than that, if you have more than one software sprite:

- first "erase" all previous/old sprites in the screen

- then draw all new sprites

..repeat

Erasing means restoring the background and it can be done in different ways, for example:

- if you background is empty, you just put 0's in the old sprite position.

- or you could have a copy of the background in memory and just copy the area touched by the sprite from there.

- or use some other logic to restore the background, like when using background "tiles"..

Drawing can also be done in different ways, some of them faster but prone to more visual artifacts:

- just storing the sprite data on the screen without masking or caring for the sprite "borders" against the background.

- doing an OR or XOR/EOR of the sprite bytes against the background.

- doing the "proper" method of having a sprite mask (different than the sprite data) to AND against the background (basically cutting a hole with the shape of the sprite in the background),

and then ORing the sprite data against the background.

Then there is the problem with rotating the sprite bits inside a byte, because the graphic modes use 8, 4 or 2 pixels per byte.

This can be done in real time (slow) or having the rotations pre-calculated in memory (faster, but using a lot more memory).

All this is for graphic modes. Char based software sprites are a little more complex.

• Like 2

There's a method to stop 'tearing' or 'flickering' that a lot of programmers use in Demo's and have done for years, what you do is to create 2 DM's (Display Memories) and whilst 1 is being displayed do the plotting and unplotting, or screen clearing in the non-displaying DM, then switch to engage this DM, and then you clear and plot the image you want in the other DM and when done then switch that DM in etc.. OK?

EDIT: Another good way, I'm not sure if it has already been mentioned, but all you have to do is re-PLOT your image and just delete the one byte/or end depending on which way the image moves; if the image moves right PLOT it and erase the left bytes etc.

Edited by ac.tomo
  • Like 2

If I'm right, its:

LOOP

POKE DM-LSB, 1st LSB

POKE DM-MSB, 1st MSB

POKE 88, 2nd  LSB

POKE 89, 2nd MSB

plot, clear or whatever, then;

POKE DM-LSB, 2nd LSB

POKE DM-MSB, 2nd MSB

POKE 88, 1st LSB

POKE 89, 1st MSB

then plot, clear etc..

then LOOP

If your using strings use 2 strings for the 2 DM addresses.

LSB and MSB are obtained by:

DIM DM1$(1024), DM2$(1024)

D1=ADR(DM1$)

MSB1=INT(D1/256)

LSB1= D1-(256*MSB1)

D2=ADR(DM2$)

MSB2=INT(D2/256)

LSB2=D2-(256*MSB2)

then; DL=PEEK(560)+256*PEEK(561)

DM address:

POKE DL+4, LSB1 or LSB2

POKE DL+5, MSB1 or MSB2

Hope that's understandable.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, pedgarcia said:

Not sure if I understand what the pokes are doing. Can you explain please?

Thanks

I'm not exactly sure what you want me to explain; the DM's, LSB's and MSB's are basically variables. The DM variable points to the Display Memory (which is found at bytes 4 and 5 into the Display List), locations 88 and 89 point to the top-left corner of your graphics 0 screen, in this case you will have 2 Graphics 0 displays, ideally you would protect some RAM but I'll explain that when you get to grips with this.

Edited by ac.tomo

• 6 months later...