IGNORED

Custom Mini Boxes For 2600 Carts

LiamIsaacs

15 minutes ago, LiamIsaacs said:

I know it might sound daft and it might be different for others but it makes me want to play them more too. My H.E.R.O cart is just the ugly white lable text version. My beamrider is also one of the later cheap looking White lable Activision ones.

I love the game but haven't played it in a while. The minute I put it in the mini box I wanted to play it as the original artwork is so nice.

Totally get it.  The artwork is part of the charm of having a cart. I have multi carts (Harmony, Harmony Encore, UnoCart) and I like them. I also have many lose carts, just because I like to pop them into my 2600 and play them like I did/would have as a 10-13 year old. 

Speaking of labels, shout out to @AlbertThe glossy labels that are being applied to the Homebrews in the AA Store are amazing! 

• Like 1

On 4/18/2020 at 7:07 PM, LiamIsaacs said:

I was thinking the same, I've been looking at a website where they can print on glossy 170gsm card. 25 designs are coming out at about £8.50 +p&p so they wouldn't cost too much

Well sir, sign me up! 

I currently use clear protectors, which are great, but some of these (some will probably end up being a lot) for my faves would not go amiss. Could probably fit a cart in the protector in the box.

Would you consider doing custom boxes for things like Uno Cart and Harmony? 

Imagine mini Parker and CBS boxes :)

I'm definitely interested,

Edited by Muddyfunster
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/18/2020 at 6:28 PM, LiamIsaacs said:

I was a bit bored in lockdown and for a while I've been wanting to do something for my loose 2600 carts.

I decided to try some custom mini boxes just big enough for the carts. I wanted to include the key info you're missing without the manual.

The front is the original box artwork. One side has 1 or 2 Player icons. The other side has basic controls and the rear

has difficulty switches, game modes, tips etc.

Just wanted to throw them out there and see what people think

20200418_155833.jpg

20200418_155757.jpg

20200418_155624.jpg

20200418_155716.jpg

20200418_155738.jpg

So nice. Nice job. Very useful! 

• Thanks 1

Just a thought, considering how large the 2600 library is.  You could just do a template for the box like I was using for my 2600 and 7800 sleeves I made from card stock.  A simple template made up, and the artwork can be had from the UGC covers at thecoverproject.  Doing it this way, we all could contribute to available titles for download here at AA or at coverproject.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, matthew954 said:

Just a thought, considering how large the 2600 library is.  You could just do a template for the box like I was using for my 2600 and 7800 sleeves I made from card stock.  A simple template made up, and the artwork can be had from the UGC covers at thecoverproject.  Doing it this way, we all could contribute to available titles for download here at AA or at coverproject.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've been using the cover project, this site and archive for the covers. The only problem with the box net template is that it's an InDesign file so people would need a copy of InDesign to open it. It would definitely help of others could do some as well though

6 hours ago, matthew954 said:

Well being an Adobe product, you should be able to use the export function to export the file as a Photoshop .PSD file.  Then the template could be opened in both Photoshop and GIMP.

I'll have a play around and see how the layers come out as there's no direct way. Might have to go InDesign to PDF, open the PDF in Illustrator then to Photoshop from there. I'm still running 5.5 at home.

Well I tossed this composite together in GIMP last night. The stock size is too small, I had to scale it up to about 110% to get it close. But the shape is off.  I took a little creative license with it as I wasn't sure what the various game variant were off the top of my head.  I used my Endless Snow UGC cover as the starting point. I'm not sure if my printer is out of whack, or I'm just out of ink lol.

15876420036862032322535141331810.jpg

11 minutes ago, matthew954 said:

Well I tossed this composite together in GIMP last night. The stock size is too small, I had to scale it up to about 110% to get it close. But the shape is off.  I took a little creative license with it as I wasn't sure what the various game variant were off the top of my head.  I used my Endless Snow UGC cover as the starting point. I'm not sure if my printer is out of whack, or I'm just out of ink lol.

15876420036862032322535141331810.jpg

Nice. The dimensions I've been working to are (H) 100mm X (W) 84mm X (D) 21mm. I did it like that originally then I swapped the front and rear sides. If you look at my originals the Realsports Boxing was like that and then you get the join at the front. I switched it on the ones since so the Join us around the back. I'll try and get a PSD up tonight.

When the box artwork is scaled down the front comes out at 100 X 73mm so I've just been expanding the canvas to 84 then filling with the background colour rather than stretching the image.

Only thing what might be a pain is doing the tables in Photoshop. It might be worth doing collaborations of people can do 300dpi CMYK front panel Tiff's I can do the tables etc

Edited by LiamIsaacs

On 4/18/2020 at 12:28 PM, LiamIsaacs said:

I was a bit bored in lockdown and for a while I've been wanting to do something for my loose 2600 carts.

I decided to try some custom mini boxes just big enough for the carts. I wanted to include the key info you're missing without the manual.

The front is the original box artwork. One side has 1 or 2 Player icons. The other side has basic controls and the rear

has difficulty switches, game modes, tips etc.

Just wanted to throw them out there and see what people think

20200418_155833.jpg

20200418_155757.jpg

20200418_155624.jpg

20200418_155716.jpg

20200418_155738.jpg

Love 'em! Came up with a similar concept back in 2011, but never went through with it. You should sell them!

Cigarette_Cart__Box_Comp_3D_72dpi.png

Cigarette_Cart__Box_Comp1_3D_72dpi.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Brian O said:

Love 'em! Came up with a similar concept back in 2011, but never went through with it. You should sell them!

Cigarette_Cart__Box_Comp1_3D_72dpi.png

They look really nice. A collection of those would look sleek on a shelf. I was surprised it hadn't been done before. Originally I assumed they're be somewhere online and was looking for some to download but couldn't find any.

I thought about doing one off designs. I noticed there's another thread about top 10 games etc. It would be good to do custom artwork for something like that that, Atari Age Top 10 sort if thing

7 hours ago, Brian O said:

Not sure on the legalities of selling but I see loads of repros on eBay etc. But the more you have printed the cheaper each unit is so it would make sense to do a large print run.

I think with large print runs reach box could be sold for around £1 / $1

Edited by LiamIsaacs
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Nathan Strum said:

Very cool idea! A nice way to clean up and display loose carts. Especially ones with beat-up labels.

Cheers. That was one of the thing that annoyed me. I store mine in a box, alphabetically, with the top labels facing up. Some of mine don't even gave the top label any more so you can't see what game it is you just have to go on the games around it

A few people have said about the original text labels which don't have boxes so I've tried a few ideas for Air-Sea Battle. Either the classic Combat style box, the silver style box or a custom 2600 inspired box.

Air-Sea-Battle-Classic-Style-Box-Front.jpg

Silver-Style-Box-Front.jpg

Custom-Atari-2600-Style-Box-Front.jpg

Edited by LiamIsaacs
  • Like 4