IGNORED

Shadow of the Beast demake experiment

cmadruga

7 hours ago, carlsson said:

@cmadruga: Perhaps later you want to do a mockup of the Clue style game Murder on the Zinderneuf? Graphically it doesn't look very hot but perhaps it is fun and different.

Cool! An old school EA game I didn't know! Thanks for showing me it!

Reminds me there is another EA game I've been thinking about... that one only came on the C64 and has no zeppelins... but it shall not be named or Steve might freak out at another game...

3 hours ago, Steve Jones said:

Don’t distract him, he still has to finish Canyon Bomba, and not Goonies, and...

Well... the way I see it, uncle Rev has quite a pipeline already... Let us kids have a little fun! ?

... but I'm not kidding, SotB has plenty of blimps!

image.thumb.png.5c5fac8c3c702667816374d0cf527347.png

Edited by cmadruga
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, pvmpkin said:

whoa this is wild !

would you mind if I added this to the site I am working on ? It is a site dedicated to all versions of Shadow of the Beast

https://beast-41f50f.webflow.io 

also I am working on a 2600 conversions so I am very happy to see more Beasts in the world !

https://aeriform.itch.io/legacy-of-the-beast

By all means.  Your Atari port is what mostly started this thread to begin with! :)

@pvmpkin

I guess I’m guilty.

Well, so basically I wondered a while ago what would our super talented Skywaffle do if he were to tackle a project like SotB.

After a while, I pestered him again using your project as a challenge.
Being a real nice guy, he decided to go for it!

So yes, your project had something to do with it ?

Edited by cmadruga
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, pvmpkin said:

Well I'm just doing what I can, but happy I was in some way inspiring. I am quite impressed at the capabilities of the Intellivsion, especially in the right hands. 

This Inty SotB is definitely in the right hands with Skywaffle, you should check out the other stuff he has done!

But also I look forward to see where you take things on your side! Very exciting project. How are you programming it? Assembly?

Just now, cmadruga said:

But also I look forward to see where you take things on your side! Very exciting project. How are you programming it? Assembly?

Thank you, yeah 6502 Assembly. I started learning it a couple of months ago and muddling through with what I've been able to figure out ! I am aware that there is a Basic option but it didn't feel right to me to go that way.

Almost have a complete game now, but couldn't find the capabilities to do platforming or bosses so have had to make some sacrifices.

14 minutes ago, Steve Jones said:

You should probably wait and see if Matthew does more with the game, it's basically just a test tight now to see what he could do.

That's fine though even in this state I would like to include it, and was agreed. Only seems that there is a version further along than the initial screenshots.

I have been tinkering with it still.  Progress is slow, but just focused on making the engine suited to loading different area types and revise the scrolling routines.

I've added a blimp that flies behind the clouds on the overworld, and also started on making the tree dungeon, with parallax effects, and the ability to climb up or down ladders.  Also kicking works now.  It's very far from a game still, so please keep expectations low.   I'll post a video when things get more polished.

To cycle between the two areas, press 1 on controller 1 (7 on the numeric keypad for Jzintv users)

I attached a ROM and source for those interested and some screenshots.

shot0026.gif.8cabba7cc67ebfbeaed22086ed7a82b5.gifshot0027.gif.f8d56cd5c7eefaf44c2d1bb87eed152c.gifshot0024.gif.0a05476895dd1ba418c5a932e38f0013.gifshot0025.gif.9db7d71b7e9f2b737e774307d29ca067.gif

sotb9.rom sotb9.bas

Edited by skywaffle
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cmadruga said:

@skywaffle yay! Thanks for the blimp inclusion! 

It was a good suggestion!  I don't think on the overworld, there would ever be that many enemies on screen anyways, so I cut the number from 4 to 3 for now.

One thing I feel will be an issue for me is that there seem to be very little resources available for the dungeon maps and music of the game.  It'd be nice to find midis of the Lynx port's music to rework.  With all other game projects I have started, there were level maps are available, and various midis, or NES (NSF) versions of music is available to dig into for reworking.

If ZX Spectrum is good enough for you, the AY file is here:

https://zxart.ee/eng/authors/d/david-whittaker/shadow-of-the-beast---title-ay-1/

Perhaps the CPC version can be digged up as well. Exactly how to playback this on the Intellivision, I'm not sure but I assume these are tracker based formats consisting of music data + player routine so it should be possible. I have also converted SID to IntyBASIC music before with some degree of success, but it doesn't always work out.

56 minutes ago, skywaffle said:

It was a good suggestion!  I don't think on the overworld, there would ever be that many enemies on screen anyways, so I cut the number from 4 to 3 for now.

The reason for that low number of enemies seems to connect with this passage I saw at the Wiki entry for SotB:

” In regards to Beast I's parallax scrolling, Edmondson expresses that "In Beast I, we chose the most obvious and the easiest way of doing it, but the problem with that was that you couldn't have monsters running over the foreground at the same time. They had to be very spaced out and nowhere near interesting parts of the map."

Aha, the Amiga version links everything together.

The first song heard on ZX Spectrum, Amstrad CPC and Sega Master System equals Opening in the Amiga version and matches the Sbeast_title MIDI file I found last night.

The first song heard on C64 equals Intro in the Amiga version. I didn't listen long enough to determine if the ZX, CPC, SMS versions play this song as well, before the game starts.